what insurance to go with for solo

spubar44

I never needed any solo insurance. If a school can't insure you for solo flight, you might want to think about finding a better school. Just my .02

no, the school insures, but if something were to happen to the helo, the deductable is like 16,000 and i don't have that kind of money, especially paying for training out of my pocket. From what i gather, i can get additional insurance to cover the cost of the deductable and i would end up only having to pay a deductable of like 200 or so instead of 16,000. I think i would go with the lesser.

no, the school insures, but if something were to happen to the helo, the deductable is like 16,000 and i don't have that kind of money, especially paying for training out of my pocket. From what i gather, i can get additional insurance to cover the cost of the deductable and i would end up only having to pay a deductable of like 200 or so instead of 16,000. I think i would go with the lesser.

If you decide to go with Sun Aero, they have insurance you can join for that sort of thing.

Also, there IS renter insurance available - it has been written about in this forum in the past.

Here is a thread about it:

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.c...showtopic=10407

The school should be able to pay the deductible, as that is a cost of doing business. If they let you solo and you crash, it's their fault for saying you were ready. How would a school build a reputation if they tried to make their students pay for the instructor's mistakes? Renter's insurance for helicopters is difficult to find, and usually requires the pilot to have several hundred hours. Even when they do, it will cost several thousand dollars. AIG (whatever their name is now) writes some helicopter renter's insurance, not sure of anyone else.