Pilot Health

Well it's been nearly a year since I ask for advise on lowering my blood pressure and weight.

I thought I'd share my up date as to where I'm at.

First where I was.

I was 200 Lbs and my BP was 156/96

Now I'm at 170 Lbs and the BP is 116/76

I didn't change what I ate just how much, and am currently hiking about 15 miles a week.

I'm now confident that I will pass my flight physical with no problems :D

Now I just need to find work to pay for flight lessons, I have no intension on taking out loans for my training.

Excellent!!!!

I feel that whether or not we have an existing health "concern" (slightly overwt, high BP, smoker, drinker, etc), we...as pilots...should keep ourselves in the best shape possible. Meaning daily walks, weekly aerobic workouts (whether at a club, hiking rugged terrain, or jogging). It's important to ourselves, our employers and our passengers to be at our best.

Sure makes it easier to pass those medicals!!

Fly safe!!

Well it's been nearly a year since I ask for advise on lowering my blood pressure and weight.

I thought I'd share my up date as to where I'm at.

First where I was.

I was 200 Lbs and my BP was 156/96

Now I'm at 170 Lbs and the BP is 116/76

I didn't change what I ate just how much, and am currently hiking about 15 miles a week.

I'm now confident that I will pass my flight physical with no problems :D

Now I just need to find work to pay for flight lessons, I have no intension on taking out loans for my training.

I just flew thru my Class 2 medical yesterday. I started eating oatmeal every morning, cut out all caffeine, potatoes, white bread and rice.....but I still eat everything else, chocolate, pizza, pasta.

Lost 12 pounds in 2 months, BP dropped 10 points.

But still cant fit into an R22. Guess I'll have to wait until I shrink 6 inches to make that work.

I just flew thru my Class 2 medical yesterday. I started eating oatmeal every morning, cut out all caffeine, potatoes, white bread and rice.....but I still eat everything else, chocolate, pizza, pasta.

Lost 12 pounds in 2 months, BP dropped 10 points.

But still cant fit into an R22. Guess I'll have to wait until I shrink 6 inches to make that work.

Good to hear on the class 2, After Doc said DO IT OR ELSE (not a flight doc) and I had already decided to do something, I started small and worked up.

the oatmeal bkfast was part of it and I kept my coffee intake to a 6 cup maker. alot of what I ate was the same, as I said before, it was also the TIME that I ate it, in the beginning it was NEVER eat later than 7PM for dinner and keep bkfst small and simple, bowl of oatmeal, lunch was not more than a sandwich and chips or equal to that, and walk about 1-2 miles after that.

It took me nearly a year to get here but it feels great.

P.S. I have to go fry up some Salomn cakes for dinner now.

Edited by 67november

67-

FANTASTIC WORK! You too Goldy. I'm with you both on the oaties for breakfast...I also need to trade some personal W&B for the extra 5 gals of fuel.

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

Goldy- BTW, 'you part of SDSAR team out of Montrose?

Goldy- BTW, 'you part of SDSAR team out of Montrose?

Now how would you know the MSR Team ??

I'm not a part of it, I have worked at the same station with them for 20 plus years. Great guys..

Although I have a reputation of being their biggest fan, and I seem to find all the good accidents/injured hikers to get them out of bed in the middle of the night !

Goldy

Congrats 67, that sounds like a much more reasonable way to loose weight and get healthy.

I lost 20 pounds in 10 days last month with a severe case on pneumonia. I still get winded climbing a flight of stairs, but a little sickness won't keep me grounded for long.

Well I'm currently doing The Abs Diet from Men's Health magazine. I've lost around 10 lbs. in 6 weeks. So with any luck the next 6 weeks will be more than 10 and then another 6 weeks I should be where my goal is. Then maybe flying will be a little easier all the way around.. :)

Well I'm currently doing The Abs Diet from Men's Health magazine. I've lost around 10 lbs. in 6 weeks. So with any luck the next 6 weeks will be more than 10 and then another 6 weeks I should be where my goal is. Then maybe flying will be a little easier all the way around.. :)

good to hear you're making progress, my biggest problem was belly fat and until I got my body to start feeding off itself I was stuck for quite awhile. hence the reason for not eating after 7 PM.

good to hear you're making progress, my biggest problem was belly fat and until I got my body to start feeding off itself I was stuck for quite awhile. hence the reason for not eating after 7 PM.

I thought they debunked that myth. Last I heard a calorie was a calorie no matter what time of day you gained it or burned it. Part of the reason that people who eat earlier weigh less is that people who eat late tend to eat late right after they already ate a full meal earlier....

I thought they debunked that myth. Last I heard a calorie was a calorie no matter what time of day you gained it or burned it. Part of the reason that people who eat earlier weigh less is that people who eat late tend to eat late right after they already ate a full meal earlier....

no it does work (for me anyway) you have to train your body to do this, by eating no later than 7 PM and not eating breakfast till 12-14 hours later your body begins to burn your stored fat, bkfst & lunch are both small meals, you should feel a bit hungry during your day while active this begins the process of your body to feed on its own stored energy reserves, ie body fat.

Nice job November.

Jackknife,

I hate to tell you this, but you lost mostly water and digesting food weight. 20 pounds is roughly 70,000 Calories. On the high side, your body is probably burning 2,500 Calories a day. So, in ten days, you would burn 25,000 Calories if you don't eat anything. And if you aren't eating anything, your body will likely reduce its normal calorie burn to a lower number, so you would probably burn less than that.

Sparker,

You are correct that it doesn't matter what time someone consumes a calorie, but people who change their habits by not eating late are actually restricting their intake. If you eat earlier, you are less hungry when you eat and tend to eat less. This is why the best method for weight loss is to eat early and eat often. A snack every 2 hours will result in less calories consumed than three big meals a day for most people.

The problem is that most changes people make to lose weight are only implemented until they reach their goal. Once there, they return to their normal eating habits and gain the weight back plus more. Quantity restricting to reduce calories is the worst way to lose weight and the most likely way to gain it back. There has to be a permanent shift in what is eaten to insure the weight is kept off.

Increasing exercise to lose weight is the second worst way to lose weight and keep it off. People are able to go on diets and keep the weight off for years by exercising. But an injury that interrupts their routine, a stressful event in their life, or simply getting too old to continue the same amount of exercise will result in the weight coming back quite quickly. Increasing activity level is a much more effective way to burn extra calories. If you run 3 miles, you might burn 300 calories extra that day. However, if you change your lifestyle to walk more than drive such are parking farther away in parking lots, or walking to lunch instead of driving and you walk an extra 3 miles in a day, you burn the same amount of calories as if you ran three miles, but the extra walking is something you will likely be able to do for the rest of your life. When you go to the gym to workout, do you park close to the door?

Most overweight people are actually starving themselves. Our bodies need five macronutrients. Carbs, fats, protein, water, and oxygen. In the standard American diet (SAD), there is plenty of these. However, our bodies need dozens of micronutrients in which the SAD lacks in sufficient amounts. When your body is low in a micronutrient, it will crave food. And it will crave those foods that you most likely eat that have those nutrients, even if that food has a small amount. So, if you eat crap, you are more likely to crave crap to get more micronutrients. If you eat foods high in micronutrients, your body isn't going to develop those craving, or if it does, it will crave the foods that are high in those micronutrients. But you have to train your body to crave those foods by changing your lifestyle to regularly eat those foods.

Most people I know eat crap everyday. And when I say crap, I mean TV dinners, processed foods, just about anything at a restaurant, fried foods, canned foods etc. Every once in a while they might eat a salad or a bowl of fruit. Of corse they pour unhealthy dressing on the salad or mix the fruit in yogurt which counters the calorie reduction of the whole foods. We should eat the other way around. Plenty of whole, raw fruits and vegetables to everyday meals, and maybe once a week or two, a greasy meal.

Most people I know eat crap everyday. And when I say crap, I mean TV dinners, processed foods, just about anything at a restaurant, fried foods, canned foods etc. Every once in a while they might eat a salad or a bowl of fruit. Of corse they pour unhealthy dressing on the salad or mix the fruit in yogurt which counters the calorie reduction of the whole foods. We should eat the other way around. Plenty of whole, raw fruits and vegetables to everyday meals, and maybe once a week or two, a greasy meal.

VERY TRUE, LEARN to cook with fresh foods, processed foods are the worst things for the body to digest. you don't need to make a major change in what you eat but learning to cook what you like you can control the items in your diet. look at labels and see the amount of sodium your taking in, High fructose corn syrup cannot be digested by the body it is turned straight into fat. and that is in everything nowadays, just read the labels.

plan your meals, prepare a menu for the week and buy and prep for that menu on the weekend, after a while, you'll realize it's quite easy to cook whatever you want and feel good about eating it.

Oh sweet, I'm just starting that! I'm doing the "Abs Diet for Women." Apparently it's exactly the same thing, the only difference is that the book says "for Women" and the pictures are of women, not men doing the exercises. :D

Any tips?

yes! Please list some "ab" exercises! Since I hit 35 it's been downhill. No more bikini stomach for me!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I just want the "pooch" to go away. Jogging just isn't doin' the trick.

yes! Please list some "ab" exercises! Since I hit 35 it's been downhill. No more bikini stomach for me!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Here's a link to the Abs Diet routine.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?s...010cfe793cd____

If that link doesn't work just google "men's health ab diet" and it's the first hit.

Just remember that to get where you want to be requires a life style change not a diet.

watch you fat intake and get your body to burn the stored fat you have and that "pooch gut" will go away.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Just an up date and thread bump

I've maintained my weight and have actually lost another 5 pounds, I'm down to 165 and the BP dropped a few more points it feels great to be this healthy.

P.S. I've also dropped my pant size from 36 down to 34, I had to buy new pants for the new job that I start on the 15th of this month.

Edited by 67november
  • Like 1