PIC SFAR Requirements for R44 ATP Check ride

Fat Kiwi

Hello all,

Im an unemployed helicopter pilot with 0 hours experience in recip helicopters. There is an R44 that I can use for my ATP check ride, but will a DPE allow me to use this for the ATP check ride without the minimums per the SFAR? (I think its 15 hours of dual).

My other options are to try find a 206b to rent for the check ride or go to a school and pay the $$$

Any advice?

You are acting as PIC during the checkride. If you are not qualified to act as PIC of a R-44,

I would have to say no. I would say it would be cheaper to do it in a 300, but by the time you

get up to speed on it, you will probably have spent about the same as if you rented a 206.

You probably will have to travel to find someone that will do instruction in a 206, though. I know

Bristow does. It was $875 an hour years ago.

Hello all,

Im an unemployed helicopter pilot with 0 hours experience in recip helicopters. There is an R44 that I can use for my ATP check ride, but will a DPE allow me to use this for the ATP check ride without the minimums per the SFAR? (I think its 15 hours of dual).

My other options are to try find a 206b to rent for the check ride or go to a school and pay the $$$

Any advice?

Contact Tim Bradley and see what he would recommend. He might be able to organize a DPE for you but you will have to ask Tim how to best handle the situation including PIC etc..

Tim Bradley

Helicopter Solutions Inc.

tbradley1@charter.net

828-298-4246

Cost for the B206-B2 is $475/hr. Includes Helicopter, Fuel, CFI (Tim).

Cheers

Rotorrodent

With enough time for an ATP, why don't you try to find a job in a turbine? Then your employer may let you use one of his helicopters for the checkride, at least at a discounted rate?

As an unemployed pilot myself, I envy this problem.

Edited by r22butters

I think you are better off finding a 206 to use. If you have enough turbine time for an ATP, you will not enjoy the transition to the R44 much, although it is leaps and bounds above than the R22.

The high time turbine pilots that I have trained in the R44 like to complain about it a lot, and try to blame everything they do poorly on the R44 design, rather than just accepting it's differences.

Problem is you will need atleast enough instruction to be able to act as PIC in the R44 for SFAR 73 requirements. You will not get a job flying an R44 without more recip/r44 experience, so it seems like a waste of time/money to me.

how is making money with 475$/hr for the 206 b2 ????

The owner must be very desperate to get his 206 in the air...

Falko

Tim is not desperate at all! Why don't you call him and ask him how he does it for that price. I will tell you that he does quite well and so maybe many of the others are just charging too much!

I have flown with Tim for 5 hours in the B206. A very top notch operation. Call him for yourself!

Cheers

Rotorrodent

• 11 years later...