Ideas Please!

Kandace

I recently got my Commercial Helicopter Certificate! I'm also working on getting my Heli CFI.

I have about 87 hours of Heli time. I've been a Sport Pilot CFI for the last couple of years (I teach in J-3's) and have about 1200 hours of TT.

I'm in need of ideas to help me build my helicopter time up. I did all of my training in an R-22. I also have my R-44 PIC endorsement.

So my question is what sort of things have worked for you!

I really appreciate all ideas.

Thank you,

Kandace

Your biggest problem is lack of helicopter time. Unless the school you got your CFI hires you, you will need 200 hours helicopter minimum to get hired. Most schools want 300 to 500 hours helicopter time for any instructor they hire from the outside. Your fixed wing time counts for very little. And at the present time there are a large number of helicopter CFI's out there looking for work.

As for Boatpix.com, it is not as much of a good deal as they make it out as. If you are taking pictures, you can not legally log the flight time. They used to charge $100/hr. The last time I talked with them, it was $100/hr plus you paid for the fuel. Which brings the rate closer to $150/hr. And you have little control over where and when you fly. If you check through websites like this one and barnstormers.com, you can find better deals and you can do pretty much what you want. Within reason.

I recently got my Commercial Helicopter Certificate! I'm also working on getting my Heli CFI.

Unfortunately, you still need to get to 200 heli time if you want to instruct in a 22.

Your biggest problem is lack of helicopter time. Unless the school you got your CFI hires you, you will need 200 hours helicopter minimum to get hired.

Am I the only one seeing this? He's not looking for a full time job, he is looking for commercial work to build time, not CFI work.

Photo flights, Tours, Ferry flights.... I don't know what are the hour requirements to get your hands on anything like that, but that is what you should be looking for.

Edited by Sparker

Am I the only one seeing this? He's not looking for a full time job, he is looking for commercial work to build time, not CFI work.

Photo flights, Tours, Ferry flights.... I don't know what are the hour requirements to get your hands on anything like that, but that is what you should be looking for.

Not to be picky but it is SHE.

Kandace

From what I've seen, only CFIs get those jobs (under 1000hrs.). <_<

From what I've seen, only CFIs get those jobs (under 1000hrs.). <_<

Must depend where you are and who you know, we have things come through all the time with offers of cheap/free time for ferry flights, I don't have any ratings yet so I have missed out on them so far.

I have a fixed wing friend that has his comm, working on CFI and gets ferry offers quite frequently, just because a couple people spread the word that they have a friend who is a good pilot looking for time.

One of the more creative students at our school takes his camera up with him and snaps a few pictures while the CFI flies. The money he gets from the pictures lightens the cost of the flights a little bit.

Wow, this IS turning into a Monty Python episode...where the men are men, the women are men and the sheep run scared...

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

BTW: Girl pilots rock.

all really good info here from Sparker:

Must depend where you are and who you know, we have things come through all the time with offers of cheap/free time for ferry flights, I don't have any ratings yet so I have missed out on them so far.

NETWORK!! get to know all of the operators in your area.. go to their ops and hang out as much as you can, pitch in, sweep the floors, wash the helos.. be a part of the team as much as they will let you (could be political so be cautious and considerate of the others there before you). Let them know you can be on the flight line ready to go whenever. We try our best to put people in our empty seats whenever we can.

I have a fixed wing friend that has his comm, working on CFI and gets ferry offers quite frequently, just because a couple people spread the word that they have a friend who is a good pilot looking for time.

NETWORK!! and by being in the right place at the right time you can pick up time.. for free.. and in all sorts of different ships. some of the guys i know have flown in a pilatus to Canada, and also to Vegas and back.. because they got to know the pilot. I also have gotten free time in a EC120 because i was washing the windows when the owner walked up and wanted some company.

One of the more creative students at our school takes his camera up with him and snaps a few pictures while the CFI flies. The money he gets from the pictures lightens the cost of the flights a little bit.

been there, done that, great idea, and just about any camera now days will take photos that are acceptable.

good luck, never give up.

dp

Becoming a CFI and teaching is the only practical way to build flight time. Hoping to build time with less is like believing someday you’ll fly the space shuttle with a driver’s license.

yep, have to agree here too, i was just talking about building time and experience on the way to CFI.

dp

I'm working on my CFI at this time. Right now I'm getting ready to take the written and I'm working on lesson plans, endorsement etc.

I'm going to be applying for a scholarship to help me get my Instrument-Heli. Which will help build up time. I hope that works out.

In the meantime I'm looking for ways to build up my time to get up the the 200 minimum I need to teach in the R-22.

I appreciate all of the ideas.....keep them coming!

Kandace

I'm working on my CFI at this time. Right now I'm getting ready to take the written and I'm working on lesson plans, endorsement etc.

I'm going to be applying for a scholarship to help me get my Instrument-Heli. Which will help build up time. I hope that works out.

In the meantime I'm looking for ways to build up my time to get up the the 200 minimum I need to teach in the R-22.

I appreciate all of the ideas.....keep them coming!

Kandace

Kandace,

Not to discourage you, but in this business, there are no short cuts. While the advice given in this thread is good advice, it more than likely won’t get you to your goal anytime soon (200-85=115 needed). Realistically, you should plan on training your way to the 200 hours. That is; Instrument Certificate, Instrument Instructor (CFII) so on and so forth. In short, you’ll need to pay your way to the 200 hours.

Please understand, TIME and MONEY are PRIMARY FACTORS to becoming a Helo Pro. My suggestion is to dedicate every moment of your life to getting paid. That is; go get as many jobs as you can and earn the money to pay for the training. Bottom line, THIS IS how it is done.

Furthermore, you should think about the questions you’ll get during your first CFI interview, like; “can you briefly outline your total flight experience?” Saying the majority of your time is "ferry flights" won't get you into the first pool....

IMHO of course………….

Spike

Kandace,

Not to discourage you, but in this business, there are no short cuts. While the advice given in this thread is good advice, it more than likely won’t get you to your goal anytime soon (200-85=115 needed). Realistically, you should plan on training your way to the 200 hours. That is; Instrument Certificate, Instrument Instructor (CFII) so on and so forth. In short, you’ll need to pay your way to the 200 hours.

Please understand, TIME and MONEY are PRIMARY FACTORS to becoming a Helo Pro. My suggestion is to dedicate every moment of your life to getting paid. That is; go get as many jobs as you can and earn the money to pay for the training. Bottom line, THIS IS how it is done.

Furthermore, you should think about the questions you’ll get during your first CFI interview, like; “can you briefly outline your total flight experience?” Saying the majority of your time is "ferry flights" won't get you into the first pool....

IMHO of course………….

Spike

I concur....though there have been times where I have been invited to ride along with a CFI doing a flight check, ferry etc... the vast majority of my time has been out of pocket time. Hopefully, with the upcoming CFI rating, that would ease the burden of the outgoing cash.

We all wish us all luck, opportunity and lots of logbook time!!!

Cheers

Rotorrodent

How is ferry flight less valuable than regular rental time? Why does it look better on a resume to buy flight time? We are talking about strictly building time here, not earning ratings. If I get all my ratings in under 200 hours, which may be unlikely, why should I pay to fly solo vs. picking up a few ferry/photo flights? I don't think anybody was suggesting that it is feasible to get the majority of flight time from ferry flights, but if I can I am going to jump at every opportunity for cheap/free time I can while I work my way there.

I wouldn't expect to get more than maybe 10-15 hours of this sort of flight time by the time I get to 200 hours, but even that much could wind up saving $3000-$4,000. I am not going to lose a CFI job because I have a few hours of ferry work.

I don't have the option of non-stop flights out of pocket. It's going to take me a couple years to get my all of my ratings, so more of these opportunities may be available to me than someone who goes 0-CFII in 9 months.

Sparker,

You misunderstood me.

Sure, everyone should take full advantage of free/paid flight time opportunities which come their way. Never said anyone shouldn’t. Nor was I implying paying for solo time has any difference to ferry/photo flights. Didn’t say that either.

To be specific, Kandace has 115 hours to build. Let’s say she gets her scholarship and completes the instrument program in the minimum 40 hours. She now has 75 hours to build. Should she rely on the ferry/photo opportunities to get her to the 200 hours? As you stated, she can only expect maybe 10-15 of these hours. Okay, where is the other 60 or so hours come from? If you read what I said, I believe the majority of these remaining hours should come from TRAINING. Sorry to say, the only way to receive training is to pay for it. Training is best thing a pre-CFI applicant can do. Training is the best thing any pilot can do. In fact, training is lacking in most segments of this industry. More than likely, you will do few, if any, EP’s during photo/ferry flights. If you do, they’ll be real.

As far as the interview comment goes; in order to compete for a CFI job it would be best if you have just come from the training environment rather than spending the last 5 years bumming 60 hours of ferry/photo flights. Your 9 month, fresh out of school, CFII pilot will have the advantage over the pilot who took his CFI ride 2 or 3 years ago and has been building time since. This I can almost guarantee.

IMHO

Spike

Edited by Spike