My WOFT Packet Progress. EDIT. Selected!

I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I am a civilian finishing up my WOFT packet. I would like to thank this board and its users for providing guidance and information that I needed. Here are my stats, as I found this information very helpful when I was looking a few months ago.

Walked into the recruiters office 1 week after PRK, in late May, so this is how long its taken me. My packet is essentially complete, as Rucker approved my flight physical on Wednesday the 7th.

29yr old Civilian, no prior service

65 college credits, 3.0 GPA

420+ flight hours, CFI, Commercial Multi Instrument

Eagle Scout

95 ASVAB

132 GT

150 AFAST

PRK eye surgery, approved

6 LORS (2 General Officers, 3 Colonels, 1 CW4 from 160th)

I am now waiting for the recruiter to get my board scheduled.

I am feeling quite nervous about the board interview, and I expect them to challenge me. I hope that I bring something to the table that they like.

I will post updates as I see them.

-AKS

Edited by akscott60

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eagle Scout

95 ASVAB

132 GT

150 AFAST

Wow, nice stats! The only thing I see is that, while it looks awesome to have LORs from officers, do they know you that well?

Go in the board interview and show them that you can live up to those scores, because your scores can be great but great scores don't make a great Army Aviator. Nice that you've got your CFI - is it helicopter or fixed-wing?

Mind you, I'm a million light years behind you in the process so my thoughts basically count for nothing, but there you have them.

Good luck! Blow 'em away.

They are all friends of mine, and many I have know for my whole life. My father was a fighter pilot, and therefore all of his friends were. I grew up around them. The letters are from career aviators, so I hope they will help.

I am a fixed wing pilot, with a couple hours in a Jet Ranger for good measure.

Just keep going in the process. It's long, but just take it one part at a time.

Eagle Scout will definitely put you over the top, so don't sweat the board!!

Seriously, though, just take a deep breath walk in and be yourself.

all about the EAGLE SCOUT!!!!

lol. as Lindsey said nice stats.be cool with the board...have questions prepared to ask them. officer related questions helped me...

WOpilot is correct...be yourself. you'll do fine.

good luck.

I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I am a civilian finishing up my WOFT packet. I would like to thank this board and its users for providing guidance and information that I needed. Here are my stats, as I found this information very helpful when I was looking a few months ago.

Walked into the recruiters office 1 week after PRK, in late May, so this is how long its taken me. My packet is essentially complete, as Rucker approved my flight physical on Wednesday the 7th.

Eagle Scout

95 ASVAB

132 GT

150 AFAST

I am now waiting for the recruiter to get my board scheduled.

I am feeling quite nervous about the board interview, and I expect them to challenge me. I hope that I bring something to the table that they like.

I will post updates as I see them.

-AKS

Nice stats! Best of luck at your board interview.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the day is almost here. My board interview is tomorrow. I had to meet the local recruiting commander for a pre-board last Friday. That went well. I hope tomorrow goes as well as I need it to.

Well, the board is complete. It was 3 questions, and took less than 10 minutes. I got perfect marks. I think it was shorter due to the fact that the 3 Captains were not aviators, and they did 5 OCS boards ahead of me. My packet is being sent off as I type this, and December 4th or so is when my recruiter told me to expect an answer. So I get 3 weeks to wait. Sigh....

Well, the board is complete. It was 3 questions, and took less than 10 minutes. I got perfect marks. I think it was shorter due to the fact that the 3 Captains were not aviators, and they did 5 OCS boards ahead of me. My packet is being sent off as I type this, and December 4th or so is when my recruiter told me to expect an answer. So I get 3 weeks to wait. Sigh....

Congratulations!! May I ask what the three questions were?

Good luck!

Damn, my board interview was all of 45min +

USAREC selection boards happen every other month, next week is the November board, not sure how you'll get an answer in Dec....

Either way, good luck!

Edited by 1badz32

Congratulations!! May I ask what the three questions were?

Good luck!

1. Tell me a little about yourself and your background.

2. I see that you are an aviator, can you tell me about it?

3. Are you physically prepared for what is expected of you?

That was it.

• 4 weeks later...

Any news?

• 2 weeks later...
Well, there is always the January board. Twelve civilian selects this month, and I was not lucky enough to be one of them.

Whoa, what? Do you know how many civilians applied? I'm guess I'm really baffled...you look really good on paper, at least. Though I suppose no one can really understand why the board chooses the way they do. Oh well, good luck for January! When do you find out?

32 applicants. Thanks for the encouragement. The Jan board should be about 1 month from now.

Whoa, what? Do you know how many civilians applied? I'm guess I'm really baffled...you look really good on paper, at least. Though I suppose no one can really understand why the board chooses the way they do. Oh well, good luck for January! When do you find out?

32 applicants. Thanks for the encouragement. The Jan board should be about 1 month from now.

Wow. Your packet + board recommendations were flawless, too. I'm actually shocked that they didn't pick you up the first time around. Just stay persistent - you'll get in eventually.

Eh, I can not see that as a reason. You are automatically submitted for the next board. All I can say is that its a competitive process, and I am doing the best I can. I will say that this news was quite sobering. The people that have helped me along the way (recruiter, pilots, etc) are quite flabbergasted. I am still holding my head up and looking forward to the January board.

Maybe it was a "test" to see if he would jump ship if he didn't get selected the first time? Pure speculation.

Eh, I can not see that as a reason. You are automatically submitted for the next board. All I can say is that its a competitive process, and I am doing the best I can. I will say that this news was quite sobering. The people that have helped me along the way (recruiter, pilots, etc) are quite flabbergasted. I am still holding my head up and looking forward to the January board.

Yeah, that's true. Well, it looks like you have the right attitude about it all - good luck in January although I really don't think you'll need it.

Hey I notice you have a lot of LOR's. What is a good supplement to an LOR? I know of one soldier well..my father. Not a great LOR, but he knows me the best. To be honest I know of no other guys, whether it be pilots or enlisted. Of course is being 18 an excuse for that? I doubt it, so what am I to do? My father retired after serving 20yrs in the Special Forces. He retired as an E8 and has a lot of experience. But was does that count for in an LOR?

Hey I notice you have a lot of LOR's. What is a good supplement to an LOR? I know of one soldier well..my father. Not a great LOR, but he knows me the best. To be honest I know of no other guys, whether it be pilots or enlisted. Of course is being 18 an excuse for that? I doubt it, so what am I to do? My father retired after serving 20yrs in the Special Forces. He retired as an E8 and has a lot of experience. But was does that count for in an LOR?

My personal recommendation is to start getting to know people. My personal belief is that you want a healthy mix of people who know you very well and those who are well-established in the military. If you don't know anyone who fits both those categories (like your father does, but that's it), get to know them. Go visit your local National Guard and Reserve units and ask to speak to an aviator, maybe he'll end up agreeing to write you a LoR. Write down a list of questions to ask them, bring a resume, present yourself well. Alternatively, or additionally, there are MANY untapped resources on this board. PM them. I have personally benefited immensely, IMMENSELY from these folks, and I cannot thank them enough (you know who you are). Who knows, you might get lucky and an aviator who visits these boards might live nearby. Where do you live?

I don't mean to hijack akscott's thread, but again bulletcart, your age is your advantage. I didn't personally know *anyone* the rank of SGT or above in the military until I came to these boards. This is by far the best resource for networking.

I live in Fayetteville, NC. Where my father was stationed out of Fort Bragg, 7th group. The people I would use if I had to get LoR's today would be my parents, a guy I work with (retired army pilot(flew in Vietnam and Korean war))(hes old). I would also ask the principal of my high school. She doesn't know me well, but she can see my record and know all about me. Thats all I can think of right now. I don't have a lot of ties to the military. Its pretty much only my dad and he is very quiet on what he does. I actually do not know what he does right now. Anyways thats besides the point. Those are the people I would use.

Sorry AkScott, Ill get off your thread right now.

I need to go finish my Chemistry paper on nuclear power and nuclear meltdowns.