My WOFT Packet Progress. EDIT. Selected!

You cannot use your parents or anyone related to you as an LOR. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Another things, that I was told by the CW5 who wrote me a letter is that the army is looking for guys who are younger. There are a couple reasons. One, is that a younger person's mind is fresher out of school and more accustomed to absorbing and retaining information. The second, is that when the army trains a pilot it's very expensive and clearly the amount of time a 20 year old will serve the army will generally be longer than a 30 year old. I know 2 guys from here, that were both 29 and both were picked up a couple months ago. However, they both had prior service. Also, a friend of mine with very similar scores to mine, and a similar packet, was turned down on the November board too. I personally think that, the pool of applicants is so over saturated with very strong packets that it's incredibly competitive and it's more about who you know and who knows you. The army's all about networking. Have one of those GO's call to Rucker if they know anyone. I know I'll be asking a buddy to make a call for me when my packet is sent down there for the January board. Sorry, about the news though. It makes me a whole lot more nervous.

-Seth

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am aware of the push towards younger candidates, but I am 29, and I cannot go back in time. I disagree that younger candidates will stay in longer, however. I am fully prepared for a 20+ year career at this. I am just presenting myself in the best way, and trying to be competitive. I am well aware of the networking in the army, and I am on top of things. I really do not think the pool is over saturated with superb candidates that stagnate. You only get two shots, and then you wait 6 months. That turnover is rather high.

I wish you the best of luck in January as well.

Well, maybe I can say this. Is this a good site to meet Army pilots. I could get an LoR from people I meet online considering they usually are the ones that help me the most.

Two or three of my LoRs are from people I have met on this website. Does that answer your question? :D Besides LoRs, my Army Aviator "contacts" have gone from ZERO to MANY, just from vertical reference alone. The advice I have gotten from these folks has been invaluable. Seek them out (they aren't *that* hard to find, or they just aren't very good at hiding :D ) and send them a PM.

Yes, I am going to be looking. I have two years to meet these people. I don't want to go out and befriend them just for that purpose you know? Maybe I could host another thread in a year or so asking for Army aviators that would be interested in contacting each other and then later on possibly writing an LoR after they know me better.

Yes, I am going to be looking. I have two years to meet these people. I don't want to go out and befriend them just for that purpose you know? Maybe I could host another thread in a year or so asking for Army aviators that would be interested in contacting each other and then later on possibly writing an LoR after they know me better.

Oh no, I don't mean befriend them because you want something out of them. But it doesn't hurt to get to know them, and they all have great advice, whether they know it or not. Just because you are two years away doesn't necessarily mean you have to wait two years, you know?

• 4 weeks later...
Selected!

Im in a state of disbelief and my hands are shaking....

I knew you'd get in!!!! Awesome man, I'm really excited for you! When do you go to MEPS to find out your ship date?

Again, congrats! I hope to be where you're at, someday soon!

• 2 weeks later...

This is how it works right now:

BCT (9-11wks) -> WOCS (7wks) -> JOPD (6wks) -> SERE (3wks) -> Aeromed (1wk) -> Ground School (1.5wks) -> FLIGHT LINE

There is a hold at B Co. between WOCS and JOPD. My hold has lasted 5 months. Some of my classmates got away with only 2 months. In a year it could be completely different with no bubble at all.

Congratulations on getting selected. Make sure to have fun during boot camp and WOCS, don't let the dumb stuff get you down!

Edited by SBuzzkill

• 6 months later...

Update:

I graduated BCT Yesterday at Ft. Benning, and today I was bussed to Rucker. I am now a WOC. I start processing tuesday, and cross the street on Friday.

What a culture shock. Going from PFC nobody to officer canidate with the weekend off in three hours!

Update:

I graduated BCT Yesterday at Ft. Benning, and today I was bussed to Rucker. I am now a WOC. I start processing tuesday, and cross the street on Friday.

What a culture shock. Going from PFC nobody to officer canidate with the weekend off in three hours!

Awesome!!! Congrats with graduating Basic and arriving at Rucker! It's neat to see everyone's updates - keep on keepin' on!