Need help and advice.

Joe Blow

If there is a job for a low hour commercial pilot only, I haven't found it. So I would budget for a CFI and 200-300 hours, or $60,000 - $90,000 depending.

In addition after this there is no guarantee, as low time jobs even with the appropriate experience are rare these days.

I'm not trying to scare you off, it is possible but know every detail of what you are getting into before you drop $200,000 like myself and end up in a bad position.

I'm not trying to scare you off, it is possible but know every detail of what you are getting into before you drop $200,000 like myself and end up in a bad position.

Why did you drop 200,000? That seems a bit much. I've spent a little over a quarter of that.

To the OP: There are zero guarantees that you will get a job after you complete your training. If flying helicopters is something you want to eat, sleep and breathe, then you may have a shot. If not, my advice would be to go to college.

The best way to see what it takes to get a job in this industry is to simply click on the 'employment' tabs of this website, and on justhelicopters. They don't lie, nor are they subject to anyone's opinion. The only jobs available, other than those, are for people who "know" somebody. :(

My advice is to first, go to college, build a career you can live, and/or fall back on, then start on a flying career. You're only 20, so you have plenty of time, and you'll need that first career for a long, long,... long, time. :huh:

Why did you drop 200,000? That seems a bit much. I've spent a little over a quarter of that.

Airplane stuff, and going to UND where the instructor rate is $100 per hour, the sim is $300, and the only instrument trainer is a 206.

I'm 20 years old and have funds to become a commercial pilot. I'm a little unsure of job opportunities though... Work is hard to come by today and even harder for a pilot. I love flying and if I knew I could get a job I would be 100% committed. What are your opinions and comments?

From experience and based upon current conditions, I would do this:

Go to an aviation school like ERAU or Utah State and get your undergraduate degree while building experience and time. Get yourself "a" job to support yourself, flight instruct on the side, and wait for the economic dust to settle.

Once things cut loose, you will be ready to be a full time pilot and make somewhat of a living out of it! If you want to fly, you must "eat, sleep, and drink" aviation. Maintain your focus, dedication and don't get discouraged during the low times.

It will work, just takes time. I was in your shoes once and would like to say to you that as I look back through all of the hardships, discouragement and trying times, It was all worth it! I have really enjoyed a great career.

The only thing I would have done differently? Learn to fly helicopters earlier on!

Feel free to PM if you like.

Cheers

Rotorrodent

Airplane stuff, and going to UND where the instructor rate is $100 per hour, the sim is $300, and the only instrument trainer is a 206.

Ah, gotcha

If being a helicopter pilot is something you truly want to do. (It is addictive!) Don't let anything stop you! It can be discouraging at times....it is only normal to get that way occasionally....just don't let it keep you down! I've wanted to be a helicopter pilot since I got my fixed wing certificate. That was a lot of years ago. I'm finally doing it! I got my commercial helicopter this last September and I'm now working on my CFI-H.

You just have to be prepared to do whatever it takes to succeed. I waited many years and finally decided I didn't want to be old one day sitting around wishing I had done it. I'm just doing it.

Kandace

If its what you want, then dooit. I was attending one of the most prestigious universities in the country when i decided i hated it. After taking a year off, seeing the world, and doing some soul searching, i found out this is what I really wana do. If you have the stamina to tough out the hard part (building hours from 200 to 1000 or 1500 and getting your first real job), then you should be fine.