Advice needed

jonmonca

Hi all,I have spent considerable time and money,and have huge debt.

I was on track untill I failed my Comm checkride two years ago. I was so tired of it all, and after dealing with an unreasonable DPE, I havn't flown since.

I am now at a point where I do not want to waste that training/money.

I am looking to start again and hopefully get this done!

Any advice would be most grateful(as long as it is positive)

Thanks,

Jon

I'll be a positive as I can.

1st: Take stock in the reason why you have been out of flying.

2nd: Get a handle on your current financial situation

3rd: Get buy in from family, wife, kids, significant other (if any)

4th: Visit a couple of schools in the area and get a realistic estimate on the cost & time to finish

5th: Item #2 will have bearing on if you will be working or school full-time

6th: If you are going to do it, commit to it and do not stop until finished this time.

NOTE: Remember, if you are wanting to be a professional pilot you will taking several more DPE check rides and then you will take Part 135 & Part 121 checkrides every six (6) months for the rest of your career. So I hope you have matured and are over the "give up" when the tough times come. Because they will be time when you do not agree with your evaluators.

Best of Luck,

edspilot

Kandace, I thought it was unreasonable for a DPE to get angry at me to the point of shouting when I was not familiar with the wx software that he used.My whole training I had not used "His" particular site.It went downhill from there, and after 1 more question I got the pink slip so "c'est la vie" as they say.

EDS the reason I stopped was my debt was considerable to the point of not continuing.I felt that I had let myself down,and just had to get away for a while.I have missed flying always but was on a year contract working abroad till this year.I have wanting to start again but just needed some thoughts from professionals.

Thank you

Kandace, I thought it was unreasonable for a DPE to get angry at me to the point of shouting when I was not familiar with the wx software that he used.My whole training I had not used "His" particular site.It went downhill from there, and after 1 more question I got the pink slip so "c'est la vie" as they say.

EDS the reason I stopped was my debt was considerable to the point of not continuing.I felt that I had let myself down,and just had to get away for a while.I have missed flying always but was on a year contract working abroad till this year.I have wanting to start again but just needed some thoughts from professionals.

Thank you

I can't begin to express to you how important it is to keep your dream alive. Over the many years, I have had literally dozens of professionals, doctors, lawyers, wall street type tell me how they regret never pursuing or completing their dreams. I have had many attorney's say that they would trade jobs with me any day.

Don't go 20 years before you realize that "I wish that I would have finished it!" I understand that the money issue is a big factor for training in aviation. There were times when I had 4 jobs to feed the kids and have enough money to fly too. You can do it.

I would like to see you 20 years from now and hear you say, " I'm glad I did it" !

Now get out there and do it. You will find a way.

After many years looking back upon my career, I have no regrets. Oh I have busted checkrides just like everyone else. But from every one of them, i have perfected what I was deficient in.

An old anecdote, "every storm ridden through makes us a better captain of our soul".

Now go out there and make it happen.

Cheers

Rotorrodent

You could always work after a career related to helicopters, such as maintenance, sales, insurance, or work for a company in a non-pilot role. Also police departments usually hire current cops as pilots and pay for the training.

You may find chances within these fields to get hours without putting yourself in a dangerous position financially.

It's good to see you still have the desire to fly! Just remember the fun it is fly!

on your next school make sure to ask lots of questions. check out three or four and find the one that best fits you!