Government Clearances

th3_d0c

Hello all,

Are there any jobs out there for people with Secret/Top Secret credentials? What if they have a low number of hours? And where are these jobs found? More of a word of mouth?

I would think a company might take low a hour pilot who has a S/TS (maybe with SCI) because they cost 10k-100k+, your thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob.

You asked the question and here is just one answer from my last 24 years in federal law enforcement, and yes most of it flying. Your figure of 10k-100k is way off.

There are not alot of jobs in the flying world that require a security clearance. They are in the military, and then the federal law enforcement ones.

I suggest you keep an eye on the fedjobs site.

Now, I know the clearances are somewhat expensive for an agency to process but here is what we had to pay last year (OPM is in charge of them for non-military).

1st Full Field Background for Secret = $5,800.00

Re-Inspection (5yr) = $4,400.00

1st Full Field Background for Top Secret = $9,800.00

Re-Inspection (5yr) = $6,100.00

SCI add-on to a TS is $2,400.00 (due to the life-style polygraph)

So, yes it would save some money but an agency is more likely to hire the person without a clearance that has the hours, than sonebody with the clearance and lower hours.

To the agency I suspect (as we did) we would pay the fees and get the experience we wanted.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear but this hopefully will give you the other side's view.

Good Luck in your search,

edspilot

If you have some top notch life insurance you can always try Blackwater/Greystone/ whatever they're calling themselves this week.

Can't complain about the pay with them, though getting hired with low hours is a problem.