Helicycle under construction

StanFoster

Here are some pictures of my Helicycle. I am in the middle of doing the rough wiring. My turbine is coming in December...and I have all the circuits run and coiled up awaiting something to connect to!

I am very impressed with the quality of the components supplied by Eagle R&D, the manufacturer of the Helicycle kit. I have never enjoyed "not" flying so much as during this build. I am really looking forward to joining the many others that are successfully accumulating many hours in this machine.

Stan Foster

Illinois

post-14098-1256824278_thumb.jpg

post-14098-1256824297_thumb.jpg

post-14098-1256824316_thumb.jpg

post-14098-1256824326_thumb.jpg

I've been told that hours are hours.. regardless of what kind of helicopter.. What i've never been told is, Would a company hire someone with lets say 1000 hrs of helicycle time? I am contemplating every day about getting a kit hei, or even a good used cert't one, like a Robbie or something low cost. Maybe an almost timed out 22 or something. I have looked well into the helicycles, rotorways, even the 4 place hummingbird 260L. That was supposed to be a certified ship by sikorsky, but supposedly the decided to sell it in kit form. benefits with that are rigorously tested parts, timed life compnoents, like a cert'd ship, and best of all 4 seats! and a fully articulated 3 blade rotor system! Sound like a plan to me!

Anyhow, bac to my question, Do you think it would matter what kind of Heli we had hours in when applying for a job in the future??

Thanks,

Joe

Joe- I know a guy named Jim who had the same experience I had...a PPSEL ticket. He built a Helicycle.......and acquired his rating while doing so....just like I did. He then finished his Helicycle.....and flew off the 40 hours in like 3 weeks....so that he could make a 1750 mile roundtrip flight to Homer Bells fly-in. It flew perfect for him. He was just over one hundred hours when he applied at the Fish & Wildlife department to possibly fly a helicopter for them.

On the application he had to have 100 hours turbine time...which he did....in the Helicycle. He reluctantly wrote the turbine time down...thinking it would not count. He was wrong...and he was hired! They trained him to fly a Jet Ranger....now he is having the time of his life. But he still says he enjoys the many flights he makes in his Helicycle.

I run across stories about Jim flying 200 miles to this fly-in and 500 miles to that fly-in...

Jim was one of many Helicycle pilot mentors that assured me I would enjoy my Helicycle should I build one.

I know Jims case is probably very rare....but yes....he was able to count his turbine time even though it was in an experimental class.

Stan Foster

Illinois

Edited by StanFoster

I'm glad that worked out for him, but from employers I've talked with, time accrued working as an instructor (for example) is considered more valuable than time spent putting around in your own helicopter. That being said, it is still turbine time, and it does count towards your total time. But if an employer has 2 1500 hour pilots. One who worked as an instructor from 200 hours in an r22, and the other who flew his private helicopter for 2 years and accrued 1500 hours, the CFI will probably get the job.

"and the other who flew his private helicopter for 2 years and accrued 1500 hours..."

Sounds like this lucky chap may not need a job.

I'd say no one would hire him! That means he flies about 2.08 hours a day, every single day without fail. Or, lets just say he only flies on weekends, that means he flies for 7.2 hours every single Saturday and another 7.2 on Sunday!

Ever try flying for 7.2 hours in an 8 hour shift? Talk about exhausting....ok, I know it was just a "what if" !

Goldy