flying 435 kilometers non-stop?

GOLDDEPOT

Hello

Im a business man currently living in los angeles and due to a new venture im going to have to be in vegas roughly once a week. Since i dont always feel like driving, flying is really the best thing.

I dont like flying by commercial planes even if its 1st class (main reason is because they have hiccups and a simple delay can cause me to be late. I DONT LIKE BEING LATE) and buying a private jet is out of the question.

Im left with 2 options, A) renting a charter jet every time or B) purchasing a helicopter. I wanted to know is it possible to fly roughly 435 kilometers non stop on a helicopter? im looking into a eurocopter SA 365 or EC 155

thanks

I wanted to know is it possible to fly roughly 435 kilometers non stop on a helicopter? im looking into a eurocopter SA 365 or EC 155

thanks

You can do it non stop in an R44 if you want, without stopping for fuel, in about 2 hours.

The 365/155 are about the fastest ships out there. It cruises at 150 Knots, which is 172 MPH, or about a 90 minute flight from Los Angeles to Vegas. Both ships are quite large seating 9-12 people, both would definitely do the job!.

Mornings are nice across the desert, by 10 or so it warms up and can get a bit bumpy.

Let me know if you need a co-pilot to ride along!

Goldy

Hello

Im a business man currently living in los angeles and due to a new venture im going to have to be in vegas roughly once a week.

If you are only going to fly the route once a week, it would pay to simply rent or charter each flight. A whole lot less expensive and still the entire cost may be tax deductible. There is a nice AS 355 you could use in LA for the flight.

This is what a TwinStar looks like.

http://avia-dejavu.net/photo%20PH-HVH.htm

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

just to give you guys a clearer picture -

I am founder and ceo of my own private equity firm here in los angeles and I have decided to purchase 50% of an upcoming armament manufacture witch headquarters and facilities are located in las vegas.

I decided to go with a helicopter for 2 main reasons:

1) The helicopter will be purchased under my firm and will be tax deductible.

2) getting to vegas on a "whim" is pretty important especially being able to bring along my CBDO,CMO,CBO and anyone else I may have on the payroll who is a temporary consultant and paid for their logistics.

I would never just purchase a helicopter for the sake of it being a cool material object, even though its not essential or absolutely necessary I believe the convenience and networking possibilities it offers is unbeatable.

There are several helicopters out there that can accomplish what you are looking for. First you need to scope out what your needs are. How many people will you need to carry? How much will they carry? What level of comfort do you want for yourself and your passengers? All these factors will have an effect on what helicopter will work best for you.

I would suggest that you hold off your purchase until you can attend HeliExpo in February. There you will see just about every model helicopter. Just keep in mind that you will be dealing with helicopter salesmen. They are a subspecies of car salesmen.

It sounds like dependability is a major requirement for you. So I suggest that the machine IFR equipped and qualified. Plus you will need to find out a few other things also. Are you planning on flying into and out of the companies properties? If so, you will need to check city ordinances. They may not permit it or have requirements you must meet. A little research now will prevent problems and embarrassment later.

Im left with 2 options, A) renting a charter jet every time or B) purchasing a helicopter.

Neither of these optons is your best choice. A fast turboprop (Pilatus PC12 or Socata TBM700) is the way to go. LA to Vegas in less than 1 hour.

Neither of these optons is your best choice. A fast turboprop (Pilatus PC12 or Socata TBM700) is the way to go. LA to Vegas in less than 1 hour.

Yes, a PC 12, 700 or a new TBM 850 would all be great fixed wing choices. None of which are as versatile or as much fun as a helicopter.

The Heli Expo idea is a good one, every manufacturer will be there. Good luck with your venture,

Goldy

An Agusta 109 is even faster cruises at 165kts. But the EC155 is more reliable. A question though are you going to fly it yourself? Both machines aren't exactly for low-time pilots. The costs for owning these kinds of helicopters are pretty high, and for one flight a week it might be worth looking into fractional ownership. Fixed wing aircraft are cheaper, but obviously the helicopter is way more versatile.

There are several helicopters out there that can accomplish what you are looking for. First you need to scope out what your needs are. How many people will you need to carry? How much will they carry? What level of comfort do you want for yourself and your passengers? All these factors will have an effect on what helicopter will work best for you.

I would suggest that you hold off your purchase until you can attend HeliExpo in February. There you will see just about every model helicopter. Just keep in mind that you will be dealing with helicopter salesmen. They are a subspecies of car salesmen.

It sounds like dependability is a major requirement for you. So I suggest that the machine IFR equipped and qualified. Plus you will need to find out a few other things also. Are you planning on flying into and out of the companies properties? If so, you will need to check city ordinances. They may not permit it or have requirements you must meet. A little research now will prevent problems and embarrassment later.

I am pretty much set on a eurocopter EC 155, I like the visual appearance of it especially the design of the tail rotor.

I dont really have time to wait till february for the heliexpo. also I have no idea what exactly will be going on during february and I may not be able to make it due to work.

the building where my office is has a helipad, there will be a helipad at the headquarters/facility, all of that has been worked out.

sorry not interested... 90 mins in a helicopter VS 1 hour (+ driving to the airport from my office in LA + driving from the airport in vegas to the headquarters can easily add up to 1 hour, so in reality a 1 hour trip can easily turn into 2 hours, helicopter is still faster + more convenient)

Yes, a PC 12, 700 or a new TBM 850 would all be great fixed wing choices. None of which are as versatile or as much fun as a helicopter.

The Heli Expo idea is a good one, every manufacturer will be there. Good luck with your venture,

Goldy

thanks for the kind words, im pretty exited we are going to be competing in the gas operating system M4 market

An Agusta 109 is even faster cruises at 165kts. But the EC155 is more reliable. A question though are you going to fly it yourself? Both machines aren't exactly for low-time pilots. The costs for owning these kinds of helicopters are pretty high, and for one flight a week it might be worth looking into fractional ownership. Fixed wing aircraft are cheaper, but obviously the helicopter is way more versatile.

I will not be doing any flying myself

im more than aware of ownership costs

with a military contract my business can easily make 250mill+ so a 10-15mill helicopter -/+ a few hundred grand a year for maintence, operation and ownership is really nothing

I am not interested in any type of fractional ownership of anything, if I was I would be looking into a private jet

sorry not interested... 90 mins in a helicopter VS 1 hour (+ driving to the airport from my office in LA + driving from the airport in vegas to the headquarters can easily add up to 1 hour, so in reality a 1 hour trip can easily turn into 2 hours, helicopter is still faster + more convenient)

You didn't mention you have helipads in both locations. That certainly changes things...

Good luck with your venture.

I figured you would be doing the heliport thing. There are a few 155's out there for sale, but most of them are out of Europe. I noticed one or two that might be here in the states. I can not be sure, because the broker is not saying. If you get one from Europe, keep in mind that you will lose at least a week in shipping and a month or so doing the airworthiness certification.

Buying a used aircraft, you really, Really, REALLY need to do a pre-purchase inspection. By a mechanic that has more than a casual knowledge of Eurocopters. This person can potentially save you a great deal of money and aggravation.

For maintenance, find a shop that is knowledgeable of Eurocopters. Preferably a shop that has been maintaining them for many years. They will have contacts and sources that you could never have. Eurocopter strongly recommends that purchasers buy spares totaling about 10% of the helicopter purchase price. And they will give you list of suggestions. It has been my experience that Eurocopter really hasn't figured out how to deal with non-governmental organizations.

You will be surprised of all things you will find for your helicopter to do. I started a flight department several years ago that we programed for 500 hours a year. At the end of the first year our flight time was 970 hours.

I suggest that you don't hurry. Take your time and find a good machine. They are out there, but you will have to take your time and look carefully. Please don't sign on the line for the first machine you see. I have been in flight departments where the owner did that. It would take a year or more to get all the problems straightened out. A lot of extra maintenance work, trip delays, etc. Trust me, it is as frustrating for the flight crew as it is for you.

Good luck.

thanks for the kind words, im pretty exited we are going to be competing in the gas operating system M4 market

5.56 mm ?? I've always been a Benelli fan myself...

Edited by Goldy

How did I miss that? Good luck on your endeavors. Plz show us pics of your bird so we can drool!

Edited by ADRidge

I will not be doing any flying myself

im more than aware of ownership costs

with a military contract my business can easily make 250mill+ so a 10-15mill helicopter -/+ a few hundred grand a year for maintence, operation and ownership is really nothing

I am not interested in any type of fractional ownership of anything, if I was I would be looking into a private jet

Then the EC155 is the one for you, much nicer than the AS365, and obviously better specs. There's a nice low-time EC155 for sale in the UK, it is already on the American reg. Good luck.