OCS or ROTC

I am currently pursuing a graduate degree in architecture but what I really want to do is fly in the Army. Most of the commissioned officers I've spoke with said its a great idea to finish grad school so that I don't have to complete if I wish to continue up the chain. I am unsure of my next move. I do have 2 yrs remaining and (theoretically) complete ROTC in that time. The other option is OCS. FYI i should only be 24 at the completion of my grad degree and it is also keeping engineering/construction options open if sh*t hits the fan.

Here's whats at stake ROTC:

-Ive started my Private Pilots License and will most likely not have time to finish with grad school and ROTC.

-Could interfere with grades

OCS Option:

-adds more time to commissioning

-But i can finish my grad degree

Does anyone know if its similar to the AF where more pilots are selected via ROTC vs. OCS?

I appreciate the help.

John

I am currently pursuing a graduate degree in architecture but what I really want to do is fly in the Army. Most of the commissioned officers I've spoke with said its a great idea to finish grad school so that I don't have to complete if I wish to continue up the chain. I am unsure of my next move. I do have 2 yrs remaining and (theoretically) complete ROTC in that time. The other option is OCS. FYI i should only be 24 at the completion of my grad degree and it is also keeping engineering/construction options open if sh*t hits the fan.

Here's whats at stake ROTC:

-Ive started my Private Pilots License and will most likely not have time to finish with grad school and ROTC.

-Could interfere with grades

OCS Option:

-adds more time to commissioning

-But i can finish my grad degree

Does anyone know if its similar to the AF where more pilots are selected via ROTC vs. OCS?

I appreciate the help.

John

You forgot the WOFT option/route. :D It's the only guaranteed way! You may, as I hear, always commission later from Warrant to Commissioned Officer.

I am currently taking the OCS route on my second Bachelor's degree. I thought about OCS but wanted to pursue the second degree anyway, and this seemed like a better option. ROTC is a much more "humane" route than OCS. The problem with either route is that you aren't guaranteed your branch (in this case Aviation) until after you graduate, and Aviation is the most competitive. Supposedly, I've increased my chances by getting assigned to a National Guard aviation unit, but it's still no guarantee.

From what I hear, the other responses are correct - if you want a sure thing, go WOCS.

The tribe has spoken.

How does Warrant Officer Training work with the guard...Is it the same or different than active?

Is there there a summer training session available?

Thanks for the help VR community.

-John

Reserve and National Guard candidates go to the same academy as active duty.

if your mobile, check www.baseops.net

their are usually several reserve units out there that will pic u up for IERW (initial entry rotary-wing). that will guarantee you the slot you want, however remember, its not much difference now between active & reservist.... everybody goes to the "box"

Also, I would check the other branches if i were you, like Air Force or coast guard, if your going to do ROTC, better quality of life but the flight slots r much harder to get.

I'm not knocking the army, I did 8 total years between the Marine Corps & Army, both in aviation; i just wish someone would have enlightend me 14 years ago; ITS EASY TO HARD, ITS HARD TO SMART!

Also, there is so much more to military life than flying, most folks have watched too many movies!

good luck w/ your endeavor