Helo down in San Bernardino County

Goldy

R.I.P.

I can hardly believe that one of these was still airworthy. Truly amazing and a tragic loss in terms human and historical.

There was one at the helo show last week...not far from the C130 which I think also went down last week..

You guys have all the fun. A helo show in upstate New York is when you can hear a blackhawk in the distance....

Isn't that the truth! I've been enjoying the local aircraft from Niagara Falls Airforce base doing touch and goes... Really enjoyed it when we had 2 CH-46's doing some touch and goes along with some Pinnacle practices the other week. My son was just beside himself watch those two birds! Really wished there was a R/W school here at this airport too.. :)

As for the 3 that died R.I.P. Such a sad day in aviation.

As for the 3 that died R.I.P. Such a sad day in aviation.

Here is the local newspaper report.

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/adelanto-...helicopter.html

Interesting that the pilot had time to make a Mayday call. Could indicate it wasn't just controlled flight into a wire..

I don't know how the NTSB ever figures it all out,

Well they deifintely hit the static wire, the only question is if the engine was running or there wasn't some other mechanical emergency that caused a forced landing and the strike happened on approach. The NTSB is usually pretty good at finding mech. failure, depending on the postcrash fire damage to the wreckage.

Also a 500kv line is very high and depending on the severety of the strike there could be plenty of time to regain limited control, make a mayday, and crash on landing.

I believe the accident helicopter was the Piasecki H-25 / HUP-1 Retriever owned by Classic Rotors of Ramona, CA, the last flying H-25 in existence to my knowledge. Truly sad - may they rest in peace ...

Bob

Hey Bob! Your back!

Here's another link, this one says it was a PV-18 out of Victorville...very sad either way.

http://cbs2.com/local/helicopter.crash.Mojave.2.1298718.html

Hey Bob! Your back!

Here's another link, this one says it was a PV-18 out of Victorville...very sad either way.

http://cbs2.com/local/helicopter.crash.Mojave.2.1298718.html

Hmm, says it flew out of Adelanto airport. I dont know any such airport....there is the old George Air Force base, which is now SCLA Airport in Adelanto. And there is a huge set of dual towers that run along Powerline Road, about 2 miles due South of there.