Intro, Updates, Advice

Congrats!

I was about two weeks out from my CFI before I got orders down here, and ended up canceling my check ride. I used my orders as an excuse...wish I had sucked it up and checked. Like you know, once you have it, it's something you will have forever to fall back on or use at will.

At least, for two years. If you let it expire, no bueno.

In response to your last post, I am going to let the Army pay for my Instrument rating. I mainly just wanted to be able to instruct VFR and do the fun stuff. I'll get the CFII down the road.

Lindsey, you are way overprepared for flight school. Go do PT, get the waiver, and drop that packet. Seriously.

+1, but I've already told you that. If you don't have a goal PT score you'd be happy submitting your packet with I'd pick one out, and if it's anything higher than 250, think lower.

I am taking the AFAST this month, does anyone know if it will be switched to SIFT by this month or next?? CW5 Reese said no later than June so does that mean when I go to take the AFAST on the 26th June I will be taking the SIFT? If anyone on here can tell me or has heard anything I would highly appreciate it.

At least, for two years. If you let it expire, no bueno.

In response to your last post, I am going to let the Army pay for my Instrument rating. I mainly just wanted to be able to instruct VFR and do the fun stuff. I'll get the CFII down the road.

Army guys get instrument ratings?

Army guys get instrument ratings?

Yup. That is our second phase of training. The 60 and 47 guys fly in the soup all the time. I have to stay "current" as an instrument aviator, but we cant do anything really in the 58D.

The Block III Apache is going to be an IFR certified bird as well.

Edited by akscott60

There's a nasty rumor running around the naval services that you guys don't. Good to know. Let me guess... The only thing you (58s) can shoot are TACANs and GCAs? What do you mean "IMC bird?"

We all get instrument training in 6 weeks of sims and 2 weeks of aircraft. TH67 full panel, Garmin 480 or 530s. GPS, Precision, Non precision, and GCA approaches, Holding, navigation, etc. The sims are stationary and full motion. Its pretty good sh*t. I was already instrument rated as a civilian, and the training was damn good. The 67 instrument birds have the best instrument packages of all of the Army aircraft except for the 60M and 47F.

We 58s can shoot GCAs and emergency GPS approaches since we can just toss waypoints into the EGI.

I meant IFR for the Apache Block III.

Edited by akscott60

About 50% of the syllabus in flight school were basic and radio instruments for us. We did non-prescison GPS with a KLN-900, and also had a ILS, TACAN, VOR, ADF, and obviously had a radio to do GCAs. The TH-57 was on a waiver for IFR flight from the FAA due to its shitastic stab system. We also did the same with fixed wing except we had a localizer instead of full ILS (old skool T-34 kids, not T-6 products) Skids only have a TACAN and it's primarily for the boat or else we probably wouldn't have it.

The Navy places a big emphasis on the instrument stage due to their operating environment. We did a lot of weird stuff in the sims with shipboard approaches (confusing at first... imagine a moving VOR), CCAs, and this really weird emergency approached called an ELVA. Basically a CIWS radar and fire control system guiding you down to the boat. Cool in the sim, but scary as f*ck in real life. Mainly because the dude on the other end has no clue what he's doing and the system wasn't designed for it.

I remember the instrument stage being one giant mental hazing game. I thoroughly hated that portion of flight school.

• 1 month later...

Would anyone be willing to send me their WOFT Resume, so I can see how it is laid out/completed. Since I am not in the military, I am unable to download the blank version found on the warrant officer recruiting website. Send me a PM if interested, your help is much appreciated.

Would anyone be willing to send me their WOFT Resume, so I can see how it is laid out/completed. Since I am not in the military, I am unable to download the blank version found on the warrant officer recruiting website. Send me a PM if interested, your help is much appreciated.

PM en route.

• 2 months later...

Alright guys, I need advice. I've been going to grad school online via Embry Riddle doing two classes at a time (full time for grad student) and working as a CFI. Classes are 9-week terms which means they are extremely condensed and therefore time-consuming. Right now I am 1/3 of the way done with my degree. I quit a different job and took this last term off school so I could focus on PT. The next term starts up mid-October, and I would be halfway done with my degree at the end of that term. However, I am wondering if I should forgo this next term and continue throwing all of my energy into PT so I can finally put in my damn WOFT packet. That seems like a no-brainer, but do you think the board/USAREC will think negatively of the fact that I stopped grad school?

Thanks guys, you are the best.

My 2 cents...

You already have experience and education. If the higher PT score is what is missing from your packet, I'd focus on that. But how much of your day do you need to spend working out to get to your goals? 1.5 hours a day should be way more than enough to make you improve if you hit it with intensity and focus on eating right and sleeping between workouts.

Is it a possibility to only take one class and spend the time saved from the other focusing on working out?

I can't see how stopping Grad school would look bad when your resume is already so strong. It isn't like you stopped because you had bad grades, which they can see in transcripts.

I would do whatever you feel you need to do to get an application completed. If you're not selected then you can look for ways to be more competitive. Right now your odds of selection are zero. Getting any kind of application submitted will increase those odds way more than whatever you'd get by finishing grad school or scoring a few extra points on your PT test or whatever.

Great advice as always. I will take this next quarter off and focus entirely on PT and losing that extra bit of weight when I'm not at work (and a little even at work!). If I am twice non-select, then I will continue grad school during the 6-month wait to reapply.

Heloidaho--in order to get a student loan, I have to take two classes. Otherwise I agree, one class would be the happy medium. It's also an issue of focus. I tend to overload myself with school and then PT gets neglected. Not. This. Time.

D10--I have adjusted my sights. When I can pass all three events, I will contact my old recruiter. I will submit my packet when I score around a 240, and then will try to get as close to a 300 as possible before the the USAREC board.

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm getting close enough to passing the run so I called a recruiter today. First question out of my mouth was "have you done a WOFT packet successfully before?" He said he has done two. I let him give me the whole spiel to see if he was going to try to mislead me, and he seemed right on the money except he stated that your chances of being selected after two FQ-NS were almost nil (doubt this highly). Anyway, seems he'll be good for those first two couple of looks at least. I am meeting with him tomorrow afternoon.

One interesting thing he did say was that my flight physical is good for two years, which suggests that mine is still valid, and that I'd only have to do the arm reach waiver in-cockpit eval and I would be good to go. Does anyone know if this is true?

Poor guy, he said that he'll be the guy "surrounded by a mountain of paperwork" when I walk into the office. And I'm gonna come in and hand him a binder full of my packet stuff. :D

• Like 1

What a good day!

Set up meeting with recruiter, talked in length to an active duty Coast Guard HH-60 pilot at work today who wants to do his flight review with me, and got my package in the mail from flyusarmy.com (FM 3-04.203 Fundamentals of Flight, FM3-04.240 Instrument Flight for Army Aviators, and VFR Sectional Flashcards).

In fact, it's been an incredible week.

• Like 4

Alright, update time.

I called Mr. Garcia, the POC for Flight Physicals at Rucker, and asked him if I am required to have an in-cockpit evaluation before an Exception to Policy request is sent up (my recruiter was saying that he can send it without an eval). Mr. Garcia said the evaluation is required for the ETP, and (this is the big news), that as long as I can reach the pedals and the important stuff, Rucker will sign off the waiver, no problem. YES! That is what I have been waiting to hear. I was really worried that, as WOFT becomes more restrictive, that they may start cutting down on waivers. So this is great!!

Oh, and ASVAB (has expired) is scheduled for tomorrow AM.

• Like 4