Intro, Updates, Advice

Congratulations, Lindsey, it has been interesting to read all the updates from the beginning until now that you have posted on your journey and I'm glad to see you make it. Thank you for all your hard work you have put into helping people on this forum, it is inspiring and motivating.

2 APR...2014.

From what I've read through these past few months, you're time frame from WOCS to grduation now has been longer than typical. Is that correct?

And congrats on getting there finally! You've been a huge help to a ton of people I'm sure on this forum and it is much appreciated!

From what I've read through these past few months, you're time frame from WOCS to grduation now has been longer than typical. Is that correct?

And congrats on getting there finally! You've been a huge help to a ton of people I'm sure on this forum and it is much appreciated!

Hers is a little more than 2 years since the graduated from WOCS apparently. From completion of WOCS to my graduation was less than a year and half, that's with me attending the 64 course which is longer than the 60 I believe. I believe my longest bubble was maybe alittle over a month from what I remember. I also didn't have to attend SERE though :)

• Like 2

My length of stay is both atypical and typical. What I mean is: out of my WOCS class, I've been here about 5-6 months longer than everyone else--obviously atypical (as is my reason; I've never failed a PT test or anything which is usually what delays someone's stay).

It is also not particularly unusual. One of my friends here is an LT, and she had a 6 month wait to start IERW after BOLC. Yes, 6 months. A big group of WOs and LTs got stuck with that bubble randomly. Then, she selected 64Es...3 months ago, and was just told her class got pushed back another 3 months. So another 6 month wait. It's even more critical for LTs to get out of here because they are on a limited timeline for PL time. But I'm sure there are WOs in her class too, stuck in that same boat.

The minimum time here is probably about 15 months, but good luck with that. That's almost more unheard of than 2+ years, unless you're guard/reserve. You *will* get stuck in a bubble. Probably several. And the length of that bubble could be a few days to 6 months, and that's not even including having issues on your end (sickness, family issues, failing a PT test, injuries, etc).

• Like 2

My length of stay is both atypical and typical. What I mean is: out of my WOCS class, I've been here about 5-6 months longer than everyone else--obviously atypical (as is my reason; I've never failed a PT test or anything which is usually what delays someone's stay).

It is also not particularly unusual. One of my friends here is an LT, and she had a 6 month wait to start IERW after BOLC. Yes, 6 months. A big group of WOs and LTs got stuck with that bubble randomly. Then, she selected 64Es...3 months ago, and was just told her class got pushed back another 3 months. So another 6 month wait. It's even more critical for LTs to get out of here because they are on a limited timeline for PL time. But I'm sure there are WOs in her class too, stuck in that same boat.

The minimum time here is probably about 15 months, but good luck with that. That's almost more unheard of than 2+ years, unless you're guard/reserve. You *will* get stuck in a bubble. Probably several. And the length of that bubble could be a few days to 6 months, and that's not even including having issues on your end (sickness, family issues, failing a PT test, injuries, etc).

Thanks for the details. It's definitely helpful.

I'm not so much concerned with my timeline once I'm down there. More concerned with when to move my wife and son to Rucker with me. Originally, I was thinking moving them after completing SERE, but I'm not sure how/if that would work. Could I live on base (barracks?) and still get BAH for my wife here in Dallas or does that stop once I officially PCS to Rucker?

Again, Lindsey and everybody else one here, all of the input and advice is really appreciated.

• Like 1

Thanks for the details. It's definitely helpful.

I'm not so much concerned with my timeline once I'm down there. More concerned with when to move my wife and son to Rucker with me. Originally, I was thinking moving them after completing SERE, but I'm not sure how/if that would work. Could I live on base (barracks?) and still get BAH for my wife here in Dallas or does that stop once I officially PCS to Rucker?

Again, Lindsey and everybody else one here, all of the input and advice is really appreciated.

I would move them after the completion of WOCS--that's when everyone does it. It used to be that you got 10 days of PTDY to go house hunting after WOCS, although I think that was debatable and on it's way out the door when I got it two years ago, so I'm not sure if that's still a thing. A more recent WOCS graduate could probably comment more accurately.

No real need to wait until after SERE, unless there's another reason?

I would move them after the completion of WOCS--that's when everyone does it. It used to be that you got 10 days of PTDY to go house hunting after WOCS, although I think that was debatable and on it's way out the door when I got it two years ago, so I'm not sure if that's still a thing. A more recent WOCS graduate could probably comment more accurately.

No real need to wait until after SERE, unless there's another reason?

The only other reason I was considering after SERE was to make it as seamless for the wife as possible. My son is 2 years old so he's too young to really stress about it too much, but they wife will be leaving her career and all of her family to move with me. My thought process (which may be flawed) was that it may be easier and less stressful on the wife to move after SERE where I would have more of a "normal" schedule, compared to leaving again for 3 weeks. I love the idea of bringing them down after WOCS though because it means I get to see them that much sooner.

I would leave that up to your wife than, but you will be an officer, and getting BAH expected to provide your own housing. You are either going to have to find a cheap short term rental, or just get the place that you will stay at when your wife gets down. But then you will be paying for a place at Rucker and a place for your wife back home.

I would leave that up to your wife than, but you will be an officer, and getting BAH expected to provide your own housing. You are either going to have to find a cheap short term rental, or just get the place that you will stay at when your wife gets down. But then you will be paying for a place at Rucker and a place for your wife back home.

Got it! That actually helps a lot because I was not clear on how BAH worked once I completed WOCS. With that in mind, it definitely changes thing and makes me lean towards moving up the timeline I had originally planned on. She will just need to start job hunting on base and in Enterprise sooner than she expected. Thanks for the info.

My friend told me his recruiter said he can't get a flight physical until he enlist.

Guess what. My recruiter just told me the same thing!! Is this some shannigans?

I think it's bravo Sierra if you know what I mean.

Anyone else have their recruiters tell them this?

My friend told me his recruiter said he can't get a flight physical until he enlist.

Guess what. My recruiter just told me the same thing!! Is this some shannigans?

I think it's bravo Sierra if you know what I mean.

Anyone else have their recruiters tell them this?

Respectfully tell him that is not true. Many people got their flight physicals as civilians. If he/she doesn't want to help you after that, find a new recruiter.

• Like 1

Respectfully tell him that is not true. Many people got their flight physicals as civilians. If he/she doesn't want to help you after that, find a new recruiter.

Then he also told me that my letters of recommendation had to use a special army template or they wouldn't accept me.

I just thought you needed letters with the letterhead of the respective company?

Then he also told me that my letters of recommendation had to use a special army template or they wouldn't accept me.

I just thought you needed letters with the letterhead of the respective company?

As a civilian they don't HAVE to be any certain way, but if they look right and are in Memo format then they will look better. And you can schedule your flight physical on your own if you have the patience and drive to do it. But you HAVE to get your flight physical completed for your packet, he may just be trying to get you to enlist into something then your packet isn't his problem anymore.

Or just schedule it and get it completed. Then walk in the next day and say that you completed it and thanks for the help. Nah definitely get a new recruiter

So I could call up a physician who does class 1 Flight physicals?

How will I know if the army accepts it?

So I could call up a physician who does class 1 Flight physicals?

How will I know if the army accepts it?

As a civilian, one can get it done through a private doctor that does Class 1's?

As a civilian, one can get it done through a private doctor that does Class 1's?

Everyone that i have heard civilian wise has had it done at an army facility. Then they send it to Rucker for approval through their systems.

No, a first class FAA medical is not the same as an Army Flight Physical. An FAA phys is a complete joke in comparison. You need to get it done by a military flight surgeon, Army being HIGHLY recommended because of the unique quirks between each branch's flight phys requirements. There are many stories on here of people have a Navy or Air Force doc do it and it getting held up at Rucker because a particular test wasn't performed, etc.

• Like 1

I agree with the above comment. Unless you do the research yourself to figure out what tests are different, and even how the results of tests are recorded, it will be a pain. I had a lot of free time sitting on ship, did my own research and basically told the navy Doc what tests to do, and how to record the results. Even doing that I still had to go over to an Army facility in Kuwait to do some of the eye tests.

Long story short, find an Army Flight Surgeon.