Intro, Updates, Advice

Hope surg went well today!! If you're reading this, I assume it did.

Can barely read it!! Close-up vision hasn't returned completely yet, which is apparently normal. But surgery went GREAT!!! I'm 20/20 in one eye, and 20/15 in the other, which may get better and will stabilize in the next few weeks.

Post-operative pain was non-existent, only discomfort to light-sensitivity, and after 6 hours I felt comfortable opening my eyes and lo and behold, I could read the news ticker on TV from across the hotel room! Incredible.

Can barely read it!! Close-up vision hasn't returned completely yet, which is apparently normal. But surgery went GREAT!!! I'm 20/20 in one eye, and 20/15 in the other, which may get better and will stabilize in the next few weeks.

Post-operative pain was non-existent, only discomfort to light-sensitivity, and after 6 hours I felt comfortable opening my eyes and lo and behold, I could read the news ticker on TV from across the hotel room! Incredible.

congrats on the sucessful surgery.

Definitely congrats Lindsey! I chatted with Tommy today, told him he needs to get his butt in gear to get that LOR done. Keep at it!!

CHAD

Haha, thanks, Chad! Must be the lazy Warrant thing. :D Just kidding, I know he's a busy guy. No big rush, there are certainly other things that are more important.

Did you take the AFAST? If so, how did you do?

Haven't taken it yet. Was scheduled to take it on the 6th of January, then I got swine flu. I figured it was probably not the best idea to introduce myself to Seattle MEPS by getting the entire MEPS staff sick. :D

Once my near vision improves, I am going to call my recruiter to reschedule.

Lindsey,

I attempted sending you a message but I'm not sure it was sent correctly.

I was hoping you could share your LASIK experience and the process you took. Did you take the flight physical before making your decision? If not, where did you find the information on Army regulations in regards to eye surgery. I will most likely require LASIK but was planning on taking the flight physical first so I would know exactly what I needed. Just curious about the route you took and why. Thanks.

Micah

Hey Micah,

I'll post more tomorrow (been busy and my near vision is still adjusting), but the short answers are that I haven't done a flight physical yet (they wouldn't send me knowing I'd fail the vision test), nor have I even done a MEPS physical. I was supposed to, but got sick. Regardless, I would get LASIK whether or not I was applying for WOFT. I scoured the internet for answers, found a lot of great contacts (heh, pun...intended?) and found the newest LASIK/PRK regs for Army Aviators on Ft. Rucker's Aeromedical Website. I think I have the link somewhere, I'll post it up when I find it.

That said, if you are ONLY getting LASIK because of needing good vision for WOFT, I would probably consult with an Army Flight Surgeon to ensure that the precise type of surgery you are getting is correct, the exact paperwork you need, etc. If your recruiter will let you, and if it is allowed, then yeah I would recommend getting both your MEPS and Flight 1A Physical done before LASIK, just in case there is another disqualifier you didn't know about.

Hope that answers your questions!! Let me know if you have more, I am always happy to help!

Lindsey

Micah - Based on experience and research, do not rule out PRK for corrective eye surgery. Not everyone is a good LASIK candiate.

Yes, this. Also it is very much a personal decision. Benefits to LASIK include quick and painless recovery and better vision almost instantly, but the downside is that the flap takes a long time to heal, and you have to be careful for about a year. Benefits to PRK are that there is no flap, so once you are over your longer recovery period, that's it. Downside is that it is more painful and it takes weeks for your vision to stabilize.

Absolutely, I have only begun looking into the possibility of eye surgery and will certainly keep my options open. The last time I had my eyes checked was about a year ago and they were 20/40 correctable to 20/20. So my plan was to take the physical first, see if surgery was required, and then use the Army's Flight Surgeon's recommendations on how to go about it.

Right now I'm studying for the ASVAB and finishing my private pilot's license.

Thanks for the quick responses and advice!

Micah

One quick note. My wife was in the military too and when she went in to correct her vision, it was STRONGLY recommended for her to get PRK. The reasoning was that being in the military, we are more prone to being in close proximity to explosions and that sort of thing. They said this could dislodge the flap created by Lasik. Not sure how accurate that is but it's what we were told. And another note. Though my wife said she would do the surgery again (her vision is great now), day 3 after the surgery feels like glass in the eyes (PRK...not Lasik).

Blake

Okay, problem.

*EVERYWHERE* I read and everyone I've talked to says it is a 3 month wait after LASIK until you can get your Flight Physical. My recruiter called and left me a message saying he "just received confirmation it's a 6 month wait" after LASIK.

Does anyone have access to the current regs? Or has anyone *recently* been through the process that perhaps can confirm/deny this is true? I hope this isn't a new policy for 2010...

At the three month mark, my recruiter projected me to take my physical. I went down, took it, and that is when MEPS f*cked me. The army put a waiver in for me, and it was approved in 24 hours. Then we scheduled a flight phys.

At the three month mark, my recruiter projected me to take my physical. I went down, took it, and that is when MEPS f*cked me. The army put a waiver in for me, and it was approved in 24 hours. Then we scheduled a flight phys.

Awesome, thank you!! I will tell my recruiter that this has been done before. I really appreciate it.

Lindsey your blog is great! I was a Seattle resident myself :) I grew up in Bremerton and moved over to Seattle for a couple years. I worked on the flight line at Bremerton National for a year then moved to Boeing Field and worked there for a year and a half. That's where I really got into helicopters.

Anyways, it's exciting to see another Northwester going for WOFT. I just went through the process last January. LOVED spending time at the Seattle MEPS, LoL. Hopefully I will see you around Fort Rucker in the near future, good luck! Feel free to send me a message on here if you have any questions or if you just want to talk about flying in the NW! I miss it..

• 1 month later...

Just took the ASVAB; I got 96 AFQT and 133 GT. Next step is to schedule MEPS and take the AFAST. My recruiter said I would be able to take the AFAST the same day as my MEPS physical, is this what most of you have done? Also, any advice/study ideas to prepare for the AFAST? I have scoured this forum, military.com, and goarmy for information. From that, I have gathered that the FAA Rotorcraft Flying Handbook and ARCO's Military Flight Test book should adequately prepare me for the AFAST. I am also close to obtaining my fixed wing PPL, so I am familiar with the instruments. Any info would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Micah

Yes, ARCO has the best book out there for the AFAST, and your experience in the boring wing will help you out. Definitely recommend the book, Lindsey will atest to that

CHAD

Uh, yeah. Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY THE BARRON'S BOOK DO NOT DO IT DO NOT DO IT. Why? Because it will drive you nuts trying to figure out why in the hell so many of your answers are wrong (especially in cyclic orientation), when in fact, you are correct, and the damn answers in the book are wrong (confirmed MANY times over by multiple sources, including pilots). Seriously, it drove me up the damn wall, as FLHooker can attest to, and once I got the ARCO book (available for free online, by the way), I felt a million times more confident because I was in fact getting answers correct.

P.S. Congrats on the ASVAB score.