Intro, Updates, Advice

Just took the ASVAB; I got 96 AFQT and 133 GT. Next step is to schedule MEPS and take the AFAST. My recruiter said I would be able to take the AFAST the same day as my MEPS physical, is this what most of you have done? Also, any advice/study ideas to prepare for the AFAST? I have scoured this forum, military.com, and goarmy for information. From that, I have gathered that the FAA Rotorcraft Flying Handbook and ARCO's Military Flight Test book should adequately prepare me for the AFAST. I am also close to obtaining my fixed wing PPL, so I am familiar with the instruments. Any info would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Micah

FYI Miami MEPS only administers the AFAST 1x monthly. I've heard the same of other MEPS as well and some more infrequent than that.

Cliff

Hey Lindsey, what was your AFAST score?

My study guide was simple. I read "Principles of Helicopter Flight" cover to cover about 6 times. Then I practiced that movement part. I think the fact that I am a CFII helped tho...

Hey Lindsey, what was your AFAST score?

My study guide was simple. I read "Principles of Helicopter Flight" cover to cover about 6 times. Then I practiced that movement part. I think the fact that I am a CFII helped tho...

Well I was scheduled to take it all the way back in January, but apparently wasn't actually scheduled, as I found out the day before when I called my recruiter to confirm. Rescheduled, got the Swine Flu, and thus have not yet taken it. Going to sometime between now and end of April, unless you have to do the MEPS physical beforehand? I can't do the physical until the end of April because of LASIK.

Yes, ARCO has the best book out there for the AFAST, and your experience in the boring wing will help you out. Definitely recommend the book, Lindsey will atest to that

CHAD

Yea, ARCO seems to be recommended the most. "Boring wing" maybe, half the price of rotor wing, definitely!

Uh, yeah. Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY THE BARRON'S BOOK DO NOT DO IT DO NOT DO IT.

I appreciate the heads up, I was actually looking into buying it but will certainly avoid that one now.

P.S. Congrats on the ASVAB score.

Thanks! Not quite at your level though :)

FYI Miami MEPS only administers the AFAST 1x monthly. I've heard the same of other MEPS as well and some more infrequent than that.

Cliff

Thanks for the heads up. I called them today and they administer it every Tuesday. (Louisville, KY MEPS)

My study guide was simple. I read "Principles of Helicopter Flight" cover to cover about 6 times. Then I practiced that movement part.

I've read it once but will definitely have to go through it a few more times.

Thanks for all the input! I have MEPS and the AFAST scheduled for March 23.

Micah

Arco is the way to go for the AFAST. Find the section about Army Aviation and ignore all the rest. Make a few copies of the advanced movements and practice untill you can do it faster than time allowed. I found the PDF online somewhere and still have a copy if you need it. Good luck.

Dutch.

Find the section about Army Aviation and ignore all the rest.

In the beginning of the book it tells you all of the sections in each test. There's a couple sections that are the same in the other branches' tests so I suggest doing the practice test for those too. Not the whole test but just those sections that are the same as AFAST. I've been doing that and it gives you some extra practice instead of the same 15 questions over and over again.

I would agree, practice the movements section a million times over. You will be so thankful if you memorize the legend in terms of recognizing the width of the arrows, the distances they represent and the directions they are telling you to move the circle in.

Cliff

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the AFAST advice, I took it today and scored a 133. Unfortunately, we found out at the last second that I could not have my physical and take the AFAST on the same day, so the physical is scheduled for next Friday.

Reading the FAA Rotorcraft Flying Handbook gave me all of the knowledge I needed for the helicopter section and the ARCO book certainly helped with the rest. I would recommend practicing the "Instrument Comprehension" and "Complex Movement" sections until you can do them VERY VERY quickly. I practiced to where I could do them in under 3 minutes, however, on the actual test I was not able to finish the last 3 on the Complex and last 1 of the Instrument.

Congratulations Seth and Dutch! I hope to be joining you before too long!

Micah

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Passed the MEPS physical but need to send law violation documentation for the security clearance. Next step: Flight Physical.

I remember reading a post about calling aviation units for LOR but not sure where it was. I called Ft. Knox (which is about an 1 1/2 hour drive from me) and spoke with a retired CW5 who works security there. He was extremely helpful and gave me a number for an active CW3 (however, he has not called me back yet). The retired CW5 actually followed up with me and said he would meet with me when I go to Ft. Knox for my flight physical. He even said that he has templates prepared for LOR. I just wanted to share this to reinforce the fact that there are CW's out there who are willing to meet and write LOR. Also, are LOR from retired CW valued less than ones from active CW? Should I push to get an active one as well or be content with the retired one and 5 from people who know me well?

Thanks you.

Micah

My only Army letter was from a retired CW4 from the 160th SOAR. More than half of my letters were from retired aviators. I don't think a mix is a bad thing, especially if you can get a CW5.

Hey everyone,

I recently finished my WOFT packet last monday did the Board interview and everything. My packet just went up to Rucker for the final yes or no for WOCS. I am a civilian and in the High school to flight school bracket of the WOFT program.

I was wondering if anyone knew how long it takes to get your final yes or no from rucker?

And if anyone had a guess at how many people I might be up against, the officers at the board said I had a strong packet but who knows.

AFQT 92

GT 129

Afast 120

PT 297

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I recently finished my WOFT packet last monday did the Board interview and everything. My packet just went up to Rucker for the final yes or no for WOCS. I am a civilian and in the High school to flight school bracket of the WOFT program.

I was wondering if anyone knew how long it takes to get your final yes or no from rucker?

And if anyone had a guess at how many people I might be up against, the officers at the board said I had a strong packet but who knows.

AFQT 92

GT 129

Afast 120

PT 297

I can't answer your question, but what was the board interview like?

Just few updates:

1) Took the AFAST on Wednesday, scored a 140 (on 1.5 hours of sleep, which probably wasn't the best idea ever). I'm very happy with that.

2) Went in for my three-month post-op checkup for LASIK, and I am *officially* 20/15. I can't believe it! Got the paperwork filled out, so I need to send that to my recruiter so he can forward it to MEPS so I can get cleared to do the physical.

3) Completed all my graduation paperwork, so I am officially graduating with a Bachelors in June of this year. Phew! Now to just focus on my grades (and PT PT PT).

4) Took a fixed-wing intro flight Wednesday evening. I'm thinking of perhaps trying to go for my PPL (or as close to it as possible) this summer. It was fantastic, but I honestly couldn't stop thinking about helicopters, so we'll see.

5) I'm employed! Hallelujah! Although I have this funny feeling all my income will go towards flight training.... B)

Don't you love it when a plan comes together?

Most certainly! I can't wait until I'm done with all of the physicals. Then I will basically just have to get myself in better shape (which I'm obviously working on now), and then my packet can be submitted.

On another note, I think I am making the switch over to Tumblr for blog activity. I'm not sure if any of you are actively reading my other blog (autorotational.blogspot.com); if you are, let me know. :) I find (so far) Tumblr to be a bit more aesthetically pleasing. We'll see.

The link: autorotate.tumblr.com

Lindsey,

I'm glad to see your wrapping it all up. These forums are great at keeping me motivated. I was wondering what you used as your resume template. I tried downloading the blank one from the Warrant Officer Recruiting website, but I don't have a program that will open that kind of file. Were you able to download it or did you create one yourself?

Micah

Micah,

I went to my recruiters office and filled out my resume on his computer because I could not open that resume file. It only takes a few minutes. Then he printed it out and scanned it in.

Austin

Lindsey,

I'm glad to see your wrapping it all up. These forums are great at keeping me motivated. I was wondering what you used as your resume template. I tried downloading the blank one from the Warrant Officer Recruiting website, but I don't have a program that will open that kind of file. Were you able to download it or did you create one yourself?

Micah

Lindsey,

Micah

Hey Micah - I made my own on Microsoft Word that mimicked the WOFT Resume Template USAREC has. I've attached the Template I used (just deleted my personal stuff); feel free to use it! Let me know if you have questions. If you'd like to see my completed resume, just send me a PM with your email.

WOFT_Resume_Template.doc

Hey Micah - I made my own on Microsoft Word that mimicked the WOFT Resume Template USAREC has. I've attached the Template I used (just deleted my personal stuff); feel free to use it! Let me know if you have questions. If you'd like to see my completed resume, just send me a PM with your email.

Do we have to use that format on the resume? I like that WO format, but its easier for me to list my flight hours on the format I currently use.

Also, does anybody know if the handwritten letter to the WO board has to be written in cursive?

Seattle WOFT board dates 2010.PDF

Okay, I'm confused. I was under the impression that USAREC held WOFT boards every *other* month. However, I was sent this attachment by a friend, which shows a USAREC WOFT board every month.

If I am reading this correctly, I can submit my packet to the local (Seattle, in this case) board by 23 July, get boarded on 29 July, have everything submitted into USAREC by 6 August 2010, and they will make a decision around 16 August? I was aware there is a July and September board, but did not realize until I saw this that there was an August board as well.

I had previously been going off this:

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/WOgeninfo_boardschedule.html

Does anyone know what is going on? Is there truly a board that accepts NEW packets every month?