Intro, Updates, Advice

Flight surgeon: "Well, everything looks good here!"

Music to my ears. He said it'd take three weeks to a month to get the final stamp from Rucker on my physical. Sweet! :D :D

Music to my ears. He said it'd take three weeks to a month to get the final stamp from Rucker on my physical. Sweet! :D :D

Congrats, if anyone should be selected it's you... you deserve it...

Congrats, if anyone should be selected it's you... you deserve it...

I'm not sure if that's entirely accurate, but thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm sure there are people more deserving than me. If only willpower alone was enough... :)

Good to hear. It only took 24 hrs for my physical to get stamped so be prepared to know sooner than one month timeline.

Oh wow. You mean your physical got stamped before those damn dilating-eyedrops wore off? ;) That's impressive. My pupils are still gigantic orbs. : B)

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha... Those eye drops were the worst!

I don't think I got enough of the numbing stuff. As soon as they put the last set of drops in my eyes it was like liquid fire!

Where did you get your flight inspect done?

As in, flight physical? Fort Lewis (or JBLM), WA.

Aaand I just logged another 1.3 hours of flight time today. I've decided to suck it up and start flying once per week because it's just so damn fun. Was definitely put through the paces, but wouldn't have it any other way. Grinning the whole time, whether I could hold a hover or not (eh, not longer than about 20 seconds, anyway)! :P

No better way to spend a paycheck. Makes the work worth it.

What are you flying?

R22. I prefer the Schweizers, but there aren't many flight schools around here that offer it. Those who do are pretty pricey, unfortunately. Like it's not expensive enough. ;)

Lindsey-

I was just looking at your original post date...almost a year. No promises on where the next year will take you, but it's been a fun post to follow and I'm sure that all of us here hope you'll get the selection soon and move to the next chapter. Keep the confidence and positive attitude.

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

R22. I prefer the Schweizers, but there aren't many flight schools around here that offer it. Those who do are pretty pricey, unfortunately. Like it's not expensive enough. ;)

Aww, those little things are so cute and tiny. hahaha. Those Schweizers are pretty nice. They are the little, "littlebirds". B)

Lindsey-

I was just looking at your original post date...almost a year. No promises on where the next year will take you, but it's been a fun post to follow and I'm sure that all of us here hope you'll get the selection soon and move to the next chapter. Keep the confidence and positive attitude.

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

Crazy, isn't it? I was looking at my logbook after today's flight (another 1.1 hrs) and just thinking back at how everything slowly comes together. It's a great feeling.

When do you think your packet is going to be done and submitted?

Honestly, I don't know. Perhaps January-Februaryish? I know things keep getting pushed back, but I'm just so damn busy. My schedule will free up near the end of December and I'll be dedicating a lot of time to the gym.

Also, now that I'm flying about once a week, I feel less rushed. I'm absolutely still pursuing WOFT, but I feel less pressured. Flying feels pretty good.

LIndsey, you don't need to go to the gym. You know how many push ups and sit ups you need to do for the PT test - you can work on those every morning before work. It does take some time to run, but you don't need a gym for that either... I've found that I can do my daily exercise and run in less than 30 minutes.

Going to a gym certainly isn't a requirement for getting fit, especially with how the Army PT test is set up. On the other hand, I've been going to a Crossfit affiliate gym for the past few months to get in shape and I believe it was money and time well spent. I have a hard time motivating myself to PT on my own, especially repetitive stuff like just doing the events on the Army PT test over and over again. At the gym I get variety in my workouts, coaches who emphasize proper technique, competition and camaraderie with my peers and first rate equipment. The downside is that going to a gym, especially a Crossfit gym, is a lot more expensive than just doing your own PT. Whether or not its worth the $$$ is up to you.

Hmm, I suppose I should clarify that by hitting up the gym I more meant working out in general. :)

Pogue - I know what you're saying and I agree. I just can't get a GOOD workout in when I'm just always tired. I can (and do) push-ups and sit-ups in the morning, but I'm not able to put my maximum effort into it. Does that make sense? I just feel like I'm not progressing very much in that regard.

Just like a lot of people say, improving your PT can sometimes be more of a mental issue than a physical, so even though you feel like you don't have the energy in the AM to do it, try it anyways and see what you are able to do...you may surprise yourself. And if you don't see results immediately, by doing it over time you will see improvements.

Lindsey, did you get your qualified flight physical back yet? It took about 24 hours for mine to come back. I got a phone call the next day saying I was good to go.

I hope you get yours soon if you haven't already! :)

Lindsey, did you get your qualified flight physical back yet? It took about 24 hours for mine to come back. I got a phone call the next day saying I was good to go.

I hope you get yours soon if you haven't already! :)

Not yet...

Dont lose your momentum. Keep pressing ahead. Rucker is nice and I just had a 64D flyover my house.

No worries. Rucker is absolutely my goal...all roads end at Rucker for me. I'm just pacing myself a bit right now, because otherwise I'm going to run myself into the ground. Right now I'm working 40 hours a week pumping fuel at Boeing Field, I've got a 20 hr/week internship, I have class twice a week, soccer twice a week, and flying once a week with ground another day of the week. No days off. My days run typically from 6am - 11pm, give or take a few hours depending on the day. I'm busy as hell, but I love everything I'm doing and flying once a week makes it all okay. Cheesy, I know. :D

Don't think I've lost my passion for Rucker. No way. Above the best! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

...and here's where the "advice" component comes into this thread.

Received word that Rucker rejected my flight physical due to not meeting the height (total arm reach, etc) requirements. Does anyone know what the waiver process for this situation is, and if Rucker is even ACCEPTING waivers at the moment?

Appreciate any and all help...

LK

Wow, I dont know what to say. However, since I work here at Rucker, I will see what I can dig up when I go to work tmw afternoon. Are you too short for the min height or was it another specific measurement?

I bet you are ready to show them you can reach their fricken necks. Hope to hear back with good news soon, your story has been really inspiring. I would think they would have screened for these things from the beginning. Maybe they are only trying to fill a certan airframe right now...Who knows, there is alot in the military that don't make sense. And it seems they leave all the decision making up to the idiots. Keep pushing and make em give in.

Thanks for the support guys. I am trying to get a copy of my flight physical from my recruiter so I can see exactly what my specs were compared to the minimums. I believe it was the Total Arm Reach, Sitting Height, etc that were the issue, not the minimum general height of 5' 4", since that is what I was measured at during my flight physical. Basically I need my friends to each grab an appendage and pull.

I just don't know what to do from here. AkScott, if you can find anything, please let me know. I appreciate the help. This threw me for a loop since the flight surgeon at Ft Lewis (where I got my flight physical) said everything looked fine before he sent it off to Rucker...