Would love some experience / life opinions please!

I am currently 20 yrs old with a Commercial Rotor-craft certificate. I have about 400 hours total and about 350 PIC (50 for private). I am currently a Soft more in college and in decent shape.

I was wondering what my chances / advice anyone could give? I talked to a recruiter that I have been talking to for the past year or so. He said I could fly in on December, take my exams, both medicals, and meet with the board in Jan. in Houston and hopefully know something by the end on Jan.?

Wondering if this is correct? Two months from zero to knowing something? from reading posts / other internet sources, this seems almost impossible?

Also wondering if anyone has had a problem with weight? I am 5' 10' and 202, born in South Texas, went to state in football 2 years in a row. Recruiter said I should weight 186, I almost beat that my freshman year in High School. Wondering if this will be a problem?

I appreciate any info and I understand I am new to the military pilot forum. Thank you all.

I am currently 20 yrs old with a Commercial Rotor-craft certificate. I have about 400 hours total and about 350 PIC (50 for private). I am currently a Soft more in college and in decent shape.

I was wondering what my chances / advice anyone could give? I talked to a recruiter that I have been talking to for the past year or so. He said I could fly in on December, take my exams, both medicals, and meet with the board in Jan. in Houston and hopefully know something by the end on Jan.?

Wondering if this is correct? Two months from zero to knowing something? from reading posts / other internet sources, this seems almost impossible?

Also wondering if anyone has had a problem with weight? I am 5' 10' and 202, born in South Texas, went to state in football 2 years in a row. Recruiter said I should weight 186, I almost beat that my freshman year in High School. Wondering if this will be a problem?

I appreciate any info and I understand I am new to the military pilot forum. Thank you all.

How is your vision?

Although this will come across harshly please understand I am not trying to insult you. First take a writing course to learn better sentence structure and grammar. You don't want to get your application rejected because you don't know how to spell something like sophomore.

Second, finish college. If your application is rejected then you still have a degree and education to fall back on.

Remember this as well; The recruiter has a quota to fill and they have been know to be dishonest to recruits to fulfill their quota. Get whatever they promise you in writing and signed BEFORE you sign anything. I'll say that again, GET WHATEVER THEY PROMISE YOU IN WRITING AND SIGNED BEFORE YOU SIGN ANYTHING!

Unfortunately I can't give any military specific advice, as I've never been in the military, but there are some highly knowledgeable people who post here. Just be patient and they will answer your post. In the mean time search to forum for more information about the process of becoming a military aviator.

Edit: I just wanted to add, I realize my sentence structure and grammar are not perfect at times as well, so PLEASE understand I'm not trying to insult you.

Edited by PhotoFlyer

He said I could fly in on December, take my exams, both medicals, and meet with the board in Jan. in Houston and hopefully know something by the end on Jan.?

One thing i've learned from my WOFT application expieriance... the Army lives by the "hurry up and wait" saying.

This quote has a lot of hurry, and pretty much no wait, so if it went that smooth, i'd be very suprised.

Edited by 1badz32

One thing i've learned from my WOFT application expieriance... the Army lives by the "hurry up and wait" saying.

This quote has a lot of hurry, and pretty much no wait, so if it went that smooth, i'd be very suprised.

Exactly. You've still got to get your 5-6 Letters of Recommendation together (er...I would be careful about rushing folks on those), your letter, your resume, your photo, your APFT done, and hope to whoever that there is nothing that medically disqualifies you. Oh, and hope that MEPS doesn't mess up or lose your stuff and that the Flight Physical goes smoothly and you don't have to wait for a waiver.

HOWEVER, by all means, go for it. You have nothing to lose by getting things done quickly, as long as you do not sacrifice the quality of your packet for speed. With Christmas Exodus and all, I'd be fairly (okay, really) surprised if you could board by January - perhaps February or March is more realistic.

We don't mean to put a damper on things, but just make it all a bit more realistic so you don't get frustrated with the slow process. Good luck and keep us updated!

Lindsey

EDIT: I'll try to make this post more hopeful than disheartening. Personally, I can't do the process that quickly because I have to get LASIK done, but if I were you, I would do several things ASAP. Go get your 3/4 Length photo done. Small things out of the way will ease the stress. Request official transcripts from your school. Make copies of your FAA Certificates. Study like mad for the ASVAB and AFAST. Especially the AFAST - if you pass, you CANNOT retake it (i.e. you can't improve on your score, even if you are barely passing). Fill out security paperwork with your recruiter, get the ball rolling on your interim clearance. Fill out medical paperwork with your recruiter to see if you need to get copies of your medical record for MEPS clearance (ex. I am getting a copy of mine because the MEPS doc needs to approve my ear tube surgery from when I was 2). Request your LoRs ASAP ASAP ASAP. Give the people writing them advance notice, a reasonable date when you'd like them back by, and a "Thank You" letter. Work out for your APFT - you can only improve.