Fuel Coking

Sven

I've heard of oil coking in the Ariels and lots of other turbines, but not aware of an issue with fuel coking in the Ariels. The Ariels purge fuel on shutdown, so I would think there'd be very little to sit and cook, and coke in the engine. But hey, I'm only a pilot.

I too have only ever heard of Oil coking, and yes it can happen in pretty much any engine including your car enigne. A simple yet fairly effective means to prevent it (in most Allison engines anyway) is to simply walk the blades backwards after shutdown. This will engagge the N2 section and move oil around after shutdown preventing it from sitting too long while still in contact with hot surfaces. This of course isn't a cure all, but it helps. As far as fuel coking..... haven't ever heard of a problem with it, and all the turbines I've flown before, have a drain in the bottom of the combustion chamber to drain any excess fuel that might remain after shutdown has burned it all out. But hey, like Wally, I'm only a pilot.

• 10 months later...

Has anyone experienced "Fuel Coking" with any of the Arriel 1 series engines. I have heard that Fuel Coking was a problem a couple of years ago.

We've had fuel coking occur several times with the arriel 2b and the 2b1 engines in Arizona. We have been cranking the engine for10 seconds following shutdown to clear all of the fuel from the slinger. Appears to be working. There is also an additive that turbomeca recommends but I can't remember the name of it at the moment. If you're interested in the additive let me know and I'll get the info for you.