I failed the flight of my commercial checkride

Guest Maximinious

Well, somebody didn't know until a certain somebody let it out of the bag.

I can't wait until the next meeting, I have a new name for the list :-)

Yes, but he doesn't know which every other Tuesday it is...1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month or 2nd and 4th? Hehehe, shhhh, it's a secret!

pssh. You obviously aren't going to the right committee. We meet every Sunday evening. Whiners, bitchers and moaners are added to our black list that is disseminated to all operators.

You know what I meant though....

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I don't think it's at all true. I know pilots that have crashed

(their fault). I know pilots that hate to fly and are vocal about it. I know pilots with terrible attitudes, that are lousy pilots, bad mouth the company, treat their customers like cattle, care only about themselves and don't give a rip who knows it. They have no problem finding work. To say that a pilot is going to limit his or her job opportunities because they stood up for themselves is

simply not true. If the OP raised a fuss because he was angry about what happened on his checkride, that's his deal. To say that it will follow him around is is ridiculous. If anyone needs to worry about it, it's the bonehead instructor. I mean c'mon: overgrossing a applicant"s helicopter on a checkride?! What on earth was the guy thinking?! What else does he do?

Edited by helonorth

Well said. I'm probably just an idealist.... And while I agree at a higher level, that is probably if not completely true, when someone is just starting out and looking for that first, or second job, instructors or the owner badmouthing them is probably not a good start....

And sure, the instructor screwed up. But I was simply commending the op for being big enough to accept responsibility for the incident and take it as a learning experience.... Beside, what good would biting the instructor's head off do now? Its already over. Lesson learned.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I don't think it's at all true. I know pilots that have crashed

(their fault). I know pilots that hate to fly and are vocal about it. I know pilots with terrible attitudes, that are lousy pilots, bad mouth the company, treat their customers like cattle, care only about themselves and don't give a rip who knows it. They have no problem finding work. To say that a pilot is going to limit his or her job opportunities because they stood up for themselves is

simply not true. If the OP raised a fuss because he was angry about what happened on his checkride, that's his deal. To say that it will follow him around is is ridiculous. If anyone needs to worry about it, it's the bonehead instructor. I mean c'mon: overgrossing a applicant"s helicopter on a checkride?! What on earth was the guy thinking?! What else does he do?

All this talk about failure, responsibility and blacklisting has me reconsidering my career.

Well don't get to down on aviation. This web site tends to be a sounding board and you will probably find more posts on here about how hard it is than how great it is because we are looking for ways to improve our situations.

If you want something bad enough you will find a way to make it work. Aviation is one of those careers that will take more than the average amount of determination to be successful. It does not come easy for most people and patients is going to be a necessity.

Without getting to sappy let me say: Let your heart tell you what you want and let your brain lead you to your destination.

Things will go better if you have a mapped out plan on how to get where you want to go in your career. One thing to keep in mind is that it will take longer than you hoped but if you are patient you will find it is worth the wait.

Well don't get to down on aviation.

My previous comment was a bad attempt at sarcasm. I'm doing all I can to make this work, which include selling my motorcycles and moving back in with my parents to try to make ends meet on glamorous CFI pay. Flying and setting an example of how to be a good pilot to my students inspires me. I love flying and truly believe its my calling in life. If, for some reason, it all ended right this second, I would have no regrets. The people I have met, the flights I've had the pleasure of doing and the unique experience of just getting my ratings feels like I just had a lifetime of enjoyment packed into 10 months. I'll do whatever it takes to make this my career.

A great man once said, "Do or Do not, there is no try."