Vertical Magazine Article

Be sure to check out my article in Vertical Magazine in the December 2009 / January 2010 issue! It's about one of our member's (RkyMntHi) flight school - Colorado Heli-Ops.

If you don't subscribe to Vertical (you really should), here's the link for the digital version:

http://digital.verticalmagonline.com

Let me know what you think! Also be sure to tell Vertical what you think on their Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#...ticalmag?ref=nf

I want to write more articles for them. Maybe the next one will be about you!

john

It's interesting that they're trying to get some partnerships going for a pilot sponsorship program. It's something we discussed before here on VR. It would be great to see some of the larger operators get involved in this, as it has the potential to completely change the route to becoming a pilot in the commercial world here.

It doesn't look like they've had any luck with that idea yet, but I'd say it's early days yet. Here's hoping.

It's interesting that they're trying to get some partnerships going for a pilot sponsorship program. It's something we discussed before here on VR. It would be great to see some of the larger operators get involved in this, as it has the potential to completely change the route to becoming a pilot in the commercial world here.

It doesn't look like they've had any luck with that idea yet, but I'd say it's early days yet. Here's hoping.

acutally, we have had some fantastic luck, some of the heavy hitters (and even small ones) are very interested.. it's just complicated to put it all together, everyone wants their interests covered (understandably so).. in fact, at the job fair at Heli-expo last year every single operator said the same thing.. "you make this happen and we are in!!" even the ones we didn't expect to be interested were...

if we can put all the pieces together it will change a lot of things.. it's just having the time and drive to follow thru on all of the issues, and there are a ton of them..

dp

If you all assemble the Aviation Futures Concept program that all the operators agree on. Are you all going to affiliate other schools to standardize the training across the board or will it be a Colorado Heli Ops exclusive training program? It seems to me that Bristow is trying this with the LA campus for their own needs in the GOM??

Thanks

If you all assemble the Aviation Futures Concept program that all the operators agree on. Are you all going to affiliate other schools to standardize the training across the board or will it be a Colorado Heli Ops exclusive training program? It seems to me that Bristow is trying this with the LA campus for their own needs in the GOM??

Thanks

It will be standardized with affiliate schools.. this, and Colorado Heli-Ops, has never been about the money but rather to make a difference.

dp

It will be standardized with affiliate schools.. this, and Colorado Heli-Ops, has never been about the money but rather to make a difference.

Sounds Great! I wish you all the best with the process. Hope to see you all at Heli Expo 10' Houston.

I have been thinking of something like this for youth in my area. Adults would be subject to full rates. We would take applications, would be a limited number of students and they would need to find themselves sponsors, ie family, friends, churchs, personnal loan etc.. in return we would have really low rates for the kids and the instruction would be free. We have been trying to come up with a way to finance the training for the youth at very reasonable rates. I have a few biz buddy's that might be interested in such a deal. Helicopter Flight Club of sorts.. We are just brain storming/pipe dream kinda deal at the moment.

I was thinking dual rating missonary type training for kids wanting to make a difference with their flying and their respective churchs etc could help fund the activity. I have a friend who has a nice grass strip to practice softfield landings on. They would be dual rated commercial at completion. I know of several fixed wing schools that offer this and only 1 heli school that offers missionary training.

Anywho, something for me to think about for the future. My biz is not generating enough income to support a helicopter at the moment.

Best Regards

Quote from Mechanic:

"I have been thinking of something like this for youth in my area. Adults would be subject to full rates. We would take applications, would be a limited number of students and they would need to find themselves sponsors, ie family, friends, churchs, personnal loan etc.. in return we would have really low rates for the kids and the instruction would be free. We have been trying to come up with a way to finance the training for the youth at very reasonable rates. I have a few biz buddy's that might be interested in such a deal. Helicopter Flight Club of sorts.. We are just brain storming/pipe dream kinda deal at the moment."

I love this idea, and have been talking with other helicopter owners in the area about something similar... it could change lives. When i lived in Hawaii i had a scuba shop and was approached by a Police officer that wanted to get certified along with his 15 year old son.. you could tell at the start of the course that they didn't get along very well, but when the training finished

they saw each other very differently.. the dad still credits that two week period as an "awakening" in his son's life.

Anyway, after that i worked with Catholic Charities' youths and paired one of them with a local Police office or a fireman during open water courses.. the troubled kids realized that the cops were normal people and visa versa.. it was an awesome program. We donated the courses, but if you could do the same with helicopter (or FW) training it would be awesome.

dp

Very good artical John, Dennis it looks like you've been a busy man and will continue to be a busy man getting the futures program off the ground, great idea and about time someone took the reins and got something like this going. hopefully both schools and companies will start coming onboard with it.

good luck

Edited by 67november

I read your article.. Might I make a suggestion? DO NOT LEAVE OUT THE EAST COAST! More importantly UPSTATE NEW YORK!!!!!! To be more exact western upstate! :)

Thanks for that, when you get out here you can educate me on the good schools..

dp

Thanks for that, when you get out here you can educate me on the good schools..

dp

That's the problem! We have ONE school close by.. I think the other schools in central new york have since folded... I'm not 100% about that though but it's what I've heard... In any case they are a couple hour drive for me... :( The closest school is about an hour drive give or take.

You know what I'll PM you...

Thanks everyone. I enjoyed writing it. I got to spend a lot of time with Dennis in my old office and hangar. Dennis really has it rolling. Good for him and his staff. The "Aviation Futures" was a spin-off of the original story. I plan on writing more about it as Dennis get's his vision into practical use.

john