Resumes * you folks looking for jobs

Dennis- I know earlier in the post we talked a bit about LinkedIn being the preferred site, as it's more professional. I would say if someone has a FB page that is out of control and looks like a scene from the movie "Animal House", then you might just want to start another FB page, that is a bit more professional in appearance.

I forgot Dennis was a FB friend of mine, I wonder if my 2020 CFI job is in jeopardy!

Fly safe,

Goldy

I don't think that FB should be a deciding factor in a job application let alone stalking someone on it to see what every detail of their life is like. That is why there is privacy issues with FB and why you should not add your boss, especially a potential boss. Ridiculous. :o

I have many ridiculous photos on FB, some put up by me and some not (I was tagged in them). I dont look that professional in some of them, I am 25 and I'm irish (I like the odd drink). I do like to get drunk and party sometimes especially with friends. This doesn't take away from how professional I am at my job.

If this is what some employers are looking at now, I say again, don't become friends with them and reset your privacy settings so that only friends can see your page.

I put my age on my resume, well my date of birth anyway.

I don't think that FB should be a deciding factor in a job application let alone stalking someone on it to see what every detail of their life is like.

hmmm, never said it was a 'deciding factor', but i have to admit, if i saw a bunch of photos of someone drunk on their fb page it would be! :-) 'stalking someone' is outta line as well as you can't see most people's photos unless they friend you.. (and i agree you should keep these private until you do friend someone!)

That is why there is privacy issues with FB and why you should not add your boss, especially a potential boss. Ridiculous. :o

no probably not... unless you really want to get a job and have nothing to hide... my goal was to help people learn about more tools to get them hired. it's really difficult when you get a resume, or even have a phone conversation with someone, to give them a chance with so little information. we are putting everything on the line when we give people a job... everything... i have over 60 students that depend on me to make the right decision... therefore i want as much information as i can get.. period!

If this is what some employers are looking at now, I say again, don't become friends with them and reset your privacy settings so that only friends can see your page.

this is coming from someone that IS employed, correct, you HAVE a job?? that's what is posted under your avatar.. don't belittle something that might teach others to gain an edge, .. it really hurts me to tell people that they don't have enough hours, or enough experience in different platforms.. i can't tell everyone to come see me.. jump on a plane and come for an interview.. but if i can get to know them a little better then it's easier for both of us... i just want to help others find their way to a job.. and every bit helps.

aloha,

dp

There are alot of good tips on this thread. I would also caution on the amount of personal information provided. It is illegal to ask some information because it is not supposed to be a deciding factor in the hiring process. EG. family size, race, etc. Glad some are out to help the industry. keep it up dp.

Technology is great when it’s used appropriately.

For me, “SEEing” someone on fb is usually not a true representation of that person. While it could be attune to judging a book by its cover, I’m not naïve enough to believe what I see (or read). As far as judging these folks in the slightest as prospective employees, I’d say, I feel for those folks who minimally met the minimum requirements but had no techno mumbo-jumbo for prospective employers to peep at. Surly these folk’s resumes ended up in the round file just because no one wanted to take the extra time to dial a number to talk and listen to these individuals. Rest assured there are probably some quality people sitting at the bottom of the basket and that’s not only a shame, but a waste too. Shoot, I’d be highly skeptical of someone who “looks good” on these web-self-ads anyway. Maybe it’s just me but, everybody seems to be famous nowadays… Even some little-ole R22 jock with a brand new CFI ticket…….

Aviation requires good judgment. This good judgment usually carries over when judging one’s character. Maybe this quality is fading in the onslaught of the visual media bombardment and 24/7 entertainment blitzkrieg.….

If I were competing in today’s job market, I WOULD NOT, advertise myself on any sort of fb, tweet, or whatever. I WOULD advertise myself with my words from my brain via my mouth and with the shake of my hand…..

My 2c…

Firstly, DP i do think you are doing a good job on here to help people out. I don't mean to jump on your case. I just think analyzing everything about someone through their facebook page is a bit much. Remember people can also paint a fantastic picture of themselves on a facebook page to get a job.

hmmm, never said it was a 'deciding factor', but i have to admit, if i saw a bunch of photos of someone drunk on their fb page it would be!

So does no-one working for Heli-ops get drunk. Wow! And no-one working for heli-ops has pictures on their facebook of themselves partying and having a few beers. Yeah right, get real. Facebook is a social network, use linked-in for the more professional profiling. I have worked at two schools and now a commercial operator and I can tell you that I have never heard of anyone hiring people by looking at their FB, Twitter, myspace, etc, etc.

good post Spike..

Technology is great when it’s used appropriately.

For me, “SEEing” someone on fb is usually not a true representation of that person. While it could be attune to judging a book by its cover, I’m not naïve enough to believe what I see (or read).

true in most cases, but it can be added to that list of 'tools' to try and make the best decision about a person before or after you meet/speak with them..

As far as judging these folks in the slightest as prospective employees, I’d say, I feel for those folks who minimally met the minimum requirements but had no techno mumbo-jumbo for prospective employers to peep at.

exactly part of my point.. to get yourself out there now days you have to compete on an even scale, fb is not that difficult nor are the other ways of promoting one's self on the internet..

Surly these folk’s resumes ended up in the round file just because no one wanted to take the extra time to dial a number to talk and listen to these individuals.

also true in most cases, but you may not get the whole story about someone by their resume, references and/or meeting them in person.. i know of one school that gave a couple of their most problematic cfi's great references just to get rid of the them.. and i'm sure his (her) resume looked great!!

Rest assured there are probably some quality people sitting at the bottom of the basket and that’s not only a shame, but a waste too. Shoot, I’d be highly skeptical of someone who “looks good” on these web-self-ads anyway. Maybe it’s just me but, everybody seems to be famous nowadays… Even some little-ole R22 jock with a brand new CFI ticket…….

another great point, hmmm, are we on the same page?? :-) the quality people are the folks i'm trying to help... some have given up due to the way things are in the industry right now, some of the really great ones, and i would like for them to know that there is hope, and to step up to the plate and use every thing that they can to their advantage..

Aviation requires good judgment. This good judgment usually carries over when judging one’s character. Maybe this quality is fading in the onslaught of the visual media bombardment and 24/7 entertainment blitzkrieg.….

another part of my point... it is so hard to really know someone from their resume, a few phone calls, and one or two face meetings and one hour in a helo... candidates are usually at their best when trying to secure a position, i'm not slamming them for that, just saying that it's up to all of us to make the right choices now more than ever.. margins are tight, especially at schools, we simply cannot make wrong choices (don't jump on that one, i know we will make mistakes, i have already, but we have to be more careful now than ever).

If I were competing in today’s job market, I WOULD NOT, advertise myself on any sort of fb, tweet, or whatever. I WOULD advertise myself with my words from my brain via my mouth and with the shake of my hand…..

NOT to pick on you Spike cuz your stuff is always good, but the first part of the above paragraph that stands out to me is your comment 'If I were competing in today’s job market'. Those of you that have jobs and/or are not interviewing these folks once or twice a week, might not have a feel for what it's really like out there.. It is extremely tough today for CFIs to get a teaching job, maybe it always has been, but i know it's hard on the people i see and talk with. Keep in mind that most of these people are kids (i'm old so anyone under 35 is a kid to me), with huge loans to pay back, have little or no money to travel to do face to face interviews, and in their own minds have no prospects. (yes, i speak with about two walk-ins every week, if someone stops in to our office with a resume, no matter what i am doing i stop and talk with them, it doesn't matter what their experience or their time is.. they deserve my attention and they get it, even tho i may not be looking for a CFI, i will spend time with them, i want to get to know them for the future because our paths will most likely cross again, AND, i want to impart HOPE, i want them to know that things will change, and, if they can keep their attitude positive and not give up, they too can continue to follow their dreams).

the internet is an amazing way to network and get your name and face out there.. as a candidate looking for a position you need to use every single tool you can to promote yourself (because your competition IS)... as an employer looking at those candidates i will use every single tool i can to make sure i am making a wise choice..

and just for the record, i do take some of the stuff lightly, hell, i'd hire Goldy and he flies R22's upside down!! :-)

aloha,

dp

You knew this was coming right……;-)

NOT to pick on you Spike cuz your stuff is always good,

I’ve been in this business for quite a while now and I’ve always spoken my mind so it’s okay to pick on me. Especially, if you feel my stuff is good…..

but the first part of the above paragraph that stands out to me is your comment 'If I were competing in today’s job market'. Those of you that have jobs and/or are not interviewing these folks once or twice a week, might not have a feel for what it's really like out there.. It is extremely tough today for CFIs to get a teaching job, maybe it always has been, but i know it's hard on the people i see and talk with.

I hate to sound like an old-crusty-fart but, you don’t know what tough is…. Apparently neither do these new-kids-on-the-block. Try competing for a job in 1982 when all of the jobs were occupied by high time ex Viet Nam pilots. Shoot, there was no such thing as an entry level CFI job, period! There were no cell phones, internet or industry publications (other than R&W) or massive associations like HAI (HAI did exist but not like it does today) and no R22’s. You had to sell yourself with a resume and a phone call and nothing more. Today, it’s cake for these “kids”. If you can’t close the deal nowadays then maybe you’re doing something drastically wrong. The truth of the matter is as you said;

“It is extremely tough today for CFIs to get a teaching job, maybe it always has been,”

Absolutely, 100%, affirmatoddo. Always has been, always will be….. Get used to it.

Keep in mind that most of these people are kids (i'm old so anyone under 35 is a kid to me), with huge loans to pay back, have little or no money to travel to do face to face interviews, and in their own minds have no prospects.

I’m facing the big five-oh next year so I hear ya….. Here’s is my issue though. When I read your previous post my first thought was ‘why is he considering hiring someone who lives 4000 miles away? Does he not know how much that’ll cost?’ I know because I’ve done it more than once. And ‘If I was a perspective student, why is he not hiring within? Additionally ‘Korea? Really? Out of all the people he’s spoken with and all the resumes he’s seen, he’s looking at someone in Korea???? Isn’t there someone closer who qualifies?’

(yes, i speak with about two walk-ins every week, if someone stops in to our office with a resume, no matter what i am doing i stop and talk with them, it doesn't matter what their experience or their time is.. they deserve my attention and they get it, even tho i may not be looking for a CFI, i will spend time with them, i want to get to know them for the future because our paths will most likely cross again, AND, i want to impart HOPE, i want them to know that things will change, and, if they can keep their attitude positive and not give up, they too can continue to follow their dreams).

This IS why I am here posting my opinions. That is, even in its miniscule way I’m trying to give back or “play it forward’ as the movie title goes.

As I’m sure you’ll agree there is no wrong way to do this. Just different ways. It’s kind of like branches of a tree that spread out in various directions each descending to the main goal. Thankfully, I’ve been blessed to explore many of these branches and have met lots of great people along the way. With that said, I’ve made the mistake of prejudging some by their appearance and/or lifestyle only to find out later that I was wrong. In fact, I know some downright scary folks who are the most responsible, ethical, hard working pilots in the business. Just because they post pictures of themselves having a good time on fb shouldn’t be the kiss of death when it comes to future employment. Nonetheless, I do agree with what your getting at. People looking to be hired need to be extremely careful how they promote themselves.

I don’t know much about your organization but it is clear you genuinely care about the new up-and-comers. However, I can assure you our hiring process does not include searching fb ads. Applicants are screened for qualifications then pooled to find the best candidate possible. Finding good qualified people is not brain surgery.

Good topic and keep up the good work..

Spike

Edited by Spike

Interesting thoughts about the facebook thing.

I can see how an employer that has 500 qualifying resumes in a stack would need some way to select a candidate. With the price of private investigators and background checks going through the roof ever since the recession, I can see how employers looking at all the pictures and statements that a person puts about themselves on their web page would be the next logical way to get to know who a person really is. Especially when it comes down to ability and work ethic.

I think I may be screwed, however, since I do not have a facebook page. I guess I can either go the old fashioned way and get a reporter to do a story about me in the local paper(because, as we all know, we can believe everything we read there) or I can put a list of all of my friends facebook pages that have pictures of me on them and have the employer get to know me that way. The one thing I do know for sure is that either of those ways is going to save me a lot of money that I would have normally spent on actually traveling to talk to the employer in person.

Normally, I would say that I could use that extra money to buy beer, but the risk of anybody taking a picture would be too risky.

I have a lot to think about before I start looking for the next job.

Here’s is my issue though. When I read your previous post my first thought was ‘why is he considering hiring someone who lives 4000 miles away? Does he not know how much that’ll cost?’ I know because I’ve done it more than once. And ‘If I was a perspective student, why is he not hiring within? Additionally ‘Korea? Really? Out of all the people he’s spoken with and all the resumes he’s seen, he’s looking at someone in Korea???? Isn’t there someone closer who qualifies?’

good question, the candidate that is currently teaching in Korea is from Colorado and wants to come home.. her family lives in the same city as our airport...

also, another point about the internet.. i CAN consider and research someone from afar.. to a degree anyway, something that would have been harder in the past..

and, three of our high time guys moved on to fly tours this year.. they will be back to instruct on their off times, but we need another high time instructor to fill the slot.. and, i am looking at about five candidates in total (narrowing it down to one). Yes, we certainly do hire from within, but part of our program is to have higher time CFIs mentoring our team, especially those with experience from outside of flight training, and, hiring someone that is ready to come home means that there is a greater possibility of that CFI sticking with us a little longer...(they are like our kids, we raise them to leave, but want them to stay around as long as possible!) :-)

Good topic and keep up the good work..

thanks, u 2,

dp

There is always the webcam or Skype to use to setup a meeting or an interview. It saves the prospective employee the expense of travel, lodging, car rental, and food. It saves the future employer the expense of paying for the travel of that prospective employee if that is what the employer does for interviews. Everyone saves

Steve

Im gonna throw my .02 in. First of all DP I can see and appreciate what your doing with this post and I respect that. There are alot of people who could care less in your situation but your taking the higher road.

I dont understand why your wanting to look at somebodys FB page to see who they are. This is for somebody applying for a CFI job right? So why do you need to be looking at there FB to see what kind of person they are. It should be all about attitude,skills and personality and thats it. I can almost bet 80% of the applicants wouldnt be considered going off of what you have said due some post of FB. Second of all why are you looking at international students? There are litterly thousands of CFI's without jobs in the US.

I dont understand why your wanting to look at somebodys FB page to see who they are.

Because reviewing resumes and conducting interviews is an expensive, unreliable process. I've seen them fail first-hand before, even when the company went to great lengths to get to know a candidate before making a hiring decision. Director-level candidates that looked great on resumes but were clearly unqualified in person...to the point that the interviews were embarrassing. Candidates who interviewed well but were hostile loners in the office, or rarely showered and couldn't conduct themselves professionally in front of clients. These were all expensive mistakes for the companies involved. Most flight schools already do this in some form ("the 12-month interview"), and they're evaluating you in the same way that you are projecting yourself on Facebook, your credit report, your medical, how you pull out of the parking lot, and how you act at the 4th of July party.

The point to take away from here is that you have to manage your personal and professional image, either by being selective about what you put out there (so it's not subject to being misconstrued), or by tailoring what you put out there so it reflects the image you want it to. You might not like it, but just realize that companies are doing it too. Figuring this out now is a good idea, since it goes beyond the job hunting process--you will be evaluated professionally in quasi-professional situations (the office X-mas party, the intra-office emails you send, and how you act at the convention in Vegas).

There's another way to look at this: you and your prospective employer should be checking each other out to ensure that there's a good fit. It's a 2-way street, and as an employee, you should tap every resource you have available to you to learn about what it's really like to work at a particular company.

Because reviewing resumes and conducting interviews is an expensive, unreliable process. I've seen them fail first-hand before, even when the company went to great lengths to get to know a candidate before making a hiring decision. Director-level candidates that looked great on resumes but were clearly unqualified in person...to the point that the interviews were embarrassing. Candidates who interviewed well but were hostile loners in the office, or rarely showered and couldn't conduct themselves professionally in front of clients. These were all expensive mistakes for the companies involved. Most flight schools already do this in some form ("the 12-month interview"), and they're evaluating you in the same way that you are projecting yourself on Facebook, your credit report, your medical, how you pull out of the parking lot, and how you act at the 4th of July party.

The point to take away from here is that you have to manage your personal and professional image, either by being selective about what you put out there (so it's not subject to being misconstrued), or by tailoring what you put out there so it reflects the image you want it to. You might not like it, but just realize that companies are doing it too. Figuring this out now is a good idea, since it goes beyond the job hunting process--you will be evaluated professionally in quasi-professional situations (the office X-mas party, the intra-office emails you send, and how you act at the convention in Vegas).

There's another way to look at this: you and your prospective employer should be checking each other out to ensure that there's a good fit. It's a 2-way street, and as an employee, you should tap every resource you have available to you to learn about what it's really like to work at a particular company.

This is why I would discourage anyone from promoting themselves on the internet. It’s purely subjective.

It’s like this, what you may feel is a good promotion of yourself may not be seen the same way by a prospective employer. Remember, you’re a Helicopter Pilot and not an ad executive so your chances of messing it up are high (no matter how good you think you are). Plus, no two employers will see your promotion the same way so why limit yourself?

As far as being burnt by hiring the later-to-be-found, “undesirable” I ask this; how does a self promotion ad change this? The fact is -it doesn’t. People with smokin ads have the same likelihood of turning out to be loser employees as the applicant without an ad. Conversely, the guy or gal with a pathetic Facebook ad, or has a bad credit report, or has a lead foot, and acts like an idiot at the 4th of July party quite possibly could be the best prospect. We’re all human and deserve fair consideration based on our character.

The art of self promotion is not unique in itself. What is unique is THIS BUSINESS. Chief Pilots and Ops Directors are helicopter pilot savvy. Shoot, most of the Chief Pilots I’ve worked for weren’t the panicle of Professional Businessmanism to begin with… My point is, people doing the hiring are just like you so I suggest being yourself. If you do what’s required, then most likely, you’ll have a chance. Keep it simple with a good resume, some solid interpersonal communication, and a good dose of common sense. If there’s a hint of a chance of an interview, hit the road for a face-to-face and press the flesh. Remember, this is where the REAL self promotion actually takes place. Not on the internet…..

I’m kicking this horse too much aren’t I…………

This is why I would discourage anyone from promoting themselves on the internet. It’s purely subjective.

The art of self promotion is not unique in itself. What is unique is THIS BUSINESS. Chief Pilots and Ops Directors are helicopter pilot savvy. Shoot, most of the Chief Pilots I’ve worked for weren’t the panicle of Professional Businessmanism to begin with… My point is, people doing the hiring are just like you so I suggest being yourself. If you do what’s required, then most likely, you’ll have a chance. Keep it simple with a good resume, some solid interpersonal communication, and a good dose of common sense. If there’s a hint of a chance of an interview, hit the road for a face-to-face and press the flesh. Remember, this is where the REAL self promotion actually takes place. Not on the internet…..

I’m kicking this horse too much aren’t I…………

Thats exactly my point Spike. I have been worked for Chief pilots who were the most arrogant a@@holes out there to passengers, employees, boozing it up on there days off etc.. and the exact opposite. Im not saying its wrong or right I feel like what I do with my time off is my "Time off" as long as I come to work ready and able to work who care's. I got the job I have by being persistant and letting my resume do the talking. When I applied there were five or six other guys also applying. I sent the resume he called the next day and asked if I could come down for an interview. During the interview I was myself wasnt trying to talk myself up or down. I think alot of people get to wrapped up in the interview process. Im not saying its not important but you cant make it look any prettier than its going to be. I was a chief instructor and interviewed alot of CFI's it blew me away how they tried to impress me when they didnt need to. A couple where my students at my school who I knew, had flown with and done multiple stage checks for. Like I said in my other post I respect what DP is doing and I have heard alot of good things about him and his operation. I just dont understand how you can get a feel for somebody off of their FB.

Another thing I forgot to add is DP said something about "these young kids with huge loans not having any money" blah blah no offense but I was in the same boat. When my current CP called and asked me for an interview I was all about it. At the time I was broke as all broke can be. I really couldnt afford it at the time with a pregnant wife and a daughter. I drove my happy but 560 mile just at the chance to get a job and guess what it worked out. My CP told me he was impressed that I jumped at the chance of an interview in such short notice when I live so far away. Thats what it takes to stand out amongst your peers not your FB page. Its the younger "ME" generation wanting everything with no hard work( Im 28 by the way) If I had to I would beg, steal, or borrow to fly across the country for an interview you never know how life is going to work out. JMHO

Edited by helipilotm

There is a difference between personal time and company time. The people who are hiring should also understand this. I would hope that these people are intelligent enough to realize that a person is not going to publish pictures of them doing things like a thorough preflight. Or a video of themselves filling out some amazing paperwork. Or a group of coworkers communicating effectively over the radio.

The professional aspect of a person should be evaluated with the references and when the personal interview takes place.

If that is not enough for an employer to judge, then here is a suggestion. For the people who do not have facebook pages, the employer should go to the interviewee's house and dig through their trash, or perhaps find the dirty laundry and sniff the sheets. If that does not really let the employer know who a person really is, then I really don't know what would.

Hiring employees based on photos is sort of like buying a used car based on a photo on craigslist. I just wish I could have found those types of people when I was trying to sell my truck. 3 of the 4 sides of the truck looked perfect.

I think DP is dead on to look at the person as a whole not just their resume and a one hour face to face interview with a short flight afterwards. I've been hiring people for 20 years or so. I managed software development teams and usually the most important thing after the technical skills was looking for someone who could fit in with the team. Software developers tend to be prima donnas, but often can't do much more than move pixels around the screen. Few if any can sit in a room with others and communicate effectively and often are so arrogant that they spend the whole meeting mocking any new idea to the point of blows (had two developers actually once get into a fist fight in the middle of a meeting with our marketing team). I see this same sort of arrogance in aviation.

So I look for fit second to skills. I follow a formula when hiring. First, I test a potential on skills. Can you actually do the job. Second, I check for fit. Sometimes I have you meet with other team members for lunch and see if everyone plays nice and has stuff in common. That way I know everyone has everyone's "back". Third I look to see what your willingness to do the job is. Are you just marching time till you get on to the job you really want? And finally forth, I look to see what type of person you are. I used to use the Myers-Briggs personality test but found what people do outside of work "MUCH" more enlightening and tells me so much more about a person that a simple list of questions will ever do.

You extra curricula activities tells a lot about you.

If you have multiple skills or careers tells me you can plan ahead.

If you're a pilot and took courses in aviation mechanics or aerodynamics that tells me you want to know more than just the minimum to do your job.

If you like to host BBQs on the weekends and invite lots of people over, that tells me you are a social person and will be an active team member.

If you volunteer in your community that tells me you are a dedicated team member who is willing to make sacrifices for the good of the company.

If you actively participate in a physical sport (not just watching it on TV), it tells me you are competitive, health conscious and a go getter.

If your favorite pastime is playing video games, it tells me you are probably a loner.

If your favorite pastime is drinking, then it tells me you could be a potential substance abuser.

It's not an exact science but it works fairly well. I've made a few bad hires that I have regretted, but learned from each one. The old saying you are what you eat modified a little bit really sets the stage. "You are what you do". Your motivation for your job is usually money. Your motivation for life tells me so much more about you.

I'm hopefully going to be hiring some 60 odd pilots and crew soon and you can bet for the work we are doing I am going to be looking at what they do outside of work. I will be looking for people who want to be more than the sum of their parts. People who don't spend their weekends "getting their drink on", people who are active in their community. People who are more than just a holder of a pilot's license. That's what DP is doing and I think it is the right way to go about it.

I'm hopefully going to be hiring some 60 odd pilots and crew soon and you can bet for the work we are doing I am going to be looking at what they do outside of work.

I like the sound of that ... I should probably update my facebook page :)

I think the difficulty with judging someone on their Facebook or Myspace page is that most of it is a carefully controlled public persona that often does not reflect the actual person. The arrogant individual isn't going to post that he is self centered and dismissive of other people's ideas; he is instead going to write something about how he loves his work and holds himself to a high standard. People often use Facebook to reinvent themselves, and only a personal meeting can truly show someone's character.

I think DP is dead on to look at the person as a whole not just their resume and a one hour face to face interview with a short flight afterwards. I've been hiring people for 20 years or so. I managed software development teams and usually the most important thing after the technical skills was looking for someone who could fit in with the team. Software developers tend to be prima donnas, but often can't do much more than move pixels around the screen. Few if any can sit in a room with others and communicate effectively and often are so arrogant that they spend the whole meeting mocking any new idea to the point of blows (had two developers actually once get into a fist fight in the middle of a meeting with our marketing team). I see this same sort of arrogance in aviation.

So I look for fit second to skills. I follow a formula when hiring. First, I test a potential on skills. Can you actually do the job. Second, I check for fit. Sometimes I have you meet with other team members for lunch and see if everyone plays nice and has stuff in common. That way I know everyone has everyone's "back". Third I look to see what your willingness to do the job is. Are you just marching time till you get on to the job you really want? And finally forth, I look to see what type of person you are. I used to use the Myers-Briggs personality test but found what people do outside of work "MUCH" more enlightening and tells me so much more about a person that a simple list of questions will ever do.

You extra curricula activities tells a lot about you.

If you're a pilot and took courses in aviation mechanics or aerodynamics that tells me you want to know more than just the minimum to do your job.

If you like to host BBQs on the weekends and invite lots of people over, that tells me you are a social person and will be an active team member.

If you volunteer in your community that tells me you are a dedicated team member who is willing to make sacrifices for the good of the company.

If you actively participate in a physical sport (not just watching it on TV), it tells me you are competitive, health conscious and a go getter.

If your favorite pastime is playing video games, it tells me you are probably a loner.

If your favorite pastime is drinking, then it tells me you could be a potential substance abuser.

It's not an exact science but it works fairly well. I've made a few bad hires that I have regretted, but learned from each one. The old saying you are what you eat modified a little bit really sets the stage. "You are what you do". Your motivation for your job is usually money. Your motivation for life tells me so much more about you.

I'm hopefully going to be hiring some 60 odd pilots and crew soon and you can bet for the work we are doing I am going to be looking at what they do outside of work. I will be looking for people who want to be more than the sum of their parts. People who don't spend their weekends "getting their drink on", people who are active in their community. People who are more than just a holder of a pilot's license. That's what DP is doing and I think it is the right way to go about it.

The one constant in this business is, new people find it hard to figure out how this whole industry works. Often, people come in with fresh ideas and thinking out-side-of-the-box philosophies which rarely work out. Shoot, I was one of these folks at one time but over the years now, Ive come to realize it-is-what-it-is.

Professional Helicopter pilots are not Software Developers, nor are they Advertising Executives, Doctors, Accountants or Engineers. Attempting to rationalize them as such is futile.

Generally, people who become Professional Helicopter Pilots did so to purposely avoid these types of career paths. Analyzing a pilots character through some personality test will be….. at least somewhat entertaining.

This is not a well thought-out question for a helicopter pilot. For most pilots, being a helicopter pilot is usually a 2nd sometimes 3rd career. So yes, tons of skills and careers. As far as planning ahead as any experienced pilot will tell you, planning ahead is something we do better than anyone. This question tells me, youre not aware of what is takes to succeed in this business. In short, you didnt plan ahead when considering your questions.

Again, not a well thought-out question for a helicopter pilot. Most new pilots cant afford to do anything more because their holding onto multiple jobs to pay off their student loans. The more experienced pilots usually are required to do the same as pilot salaries are notoriously low. You should know that. Furthering an education is always a good idea, but I know for a fact, free time is an issue.

The majority of pilots Ive came across over the years do not fall into the socializer personality trait category. Theyre personalities can be more accurately categorized as thinkers or directors (nor are they relaters) as they should be. Failure to recognize who youre talking too, can give you a false assessment of the individual. Furthermore, most pilots understand the overwhelming need to be a team player as this is how theyve kept their jobs in the past.

Again, most pilots wholeheartedly understand the team concept and understand it better than most. As far as making sacrifices, this statement does not reflect the reality of the helicopter business. Most Professional Helicopter Pilots sacrifice for the good of the company 10 times more than the company sacrifices for them. This I guarantee, unless of course youre paying a 6 figure salary and offering great benefits… But I think not.

If you actively participate in a physical sport (not just watching it on TV), it tells me you are competitive,

The most competitive thing one can do is to decide to become a Professional Helicopter Pilot. Poor question.

health conscious and a go getter.

Okay… Howabout nonsmoker too?

Who has the time to watch TV let alone play videogames?

This should go without saying….

Im not trying to bash anyone here. Im just offering my opinion based on my Helicopter Industry experience over the years. Can things be done differently? Absolutely, but in the end, the outcome has always remained the same…..

Edited by Spike