R22 Install Garmin 560 & Photos

edspilot

Mikemv:

The only thing that needs any paperwork is the power outlet that was installed on the circuit breaker panel. It was installed by a Robinson IA and took a field approval (337) by him. The install was done by Advanced Helicopter Concepts in Frederick, MD.

Now once I see that this is where I want to use it for sure, then I will go back to AHC and have them do a hard wire install for power and that will require a another 337 with field approval.

I have tried other mount locations (suction to windscreen, kneeboard, beanbag on top of panel) and this is the one in my opinion that has very little vibration and is easy for me to reach for user inputs. Plus when I connect the weather antenna I will set it on the top of the panel.

The mount was designed for the Garmin 396/496 for use on the R44 & R22. I found the mount on ebay (search for Robinson R44 mount 496). I just changed the plate for the new Aera 500 series.

edspilot

Dear Edspilot, you have done everthing correctly and with great planning. I wanted to bring this process to the fore front for others on how this should be accomplished. Many people get into trouble with the FAA when adding handheld/portable items to aircraft. Thank you for your reply and informing all that may want to add the same or similar. Nice job, Mike

• Like 1

Thanks, Mike for the kudos.

I try to stay within the regulations being a NTSB certified aircraft accident investigator (class of 89) and all.

Yes it sometimes costs a little more, but I can "fear not" landing on any airport and being ramp inspected by the FAA. I may miss something but the things that are easy to do right ,will not be one of them.

When I can no longer afford to do it right, then it is time to sell the aircraft.

Besides being safe, the next most important thing is, I can sleep at night. :D

edspilot