IS THERE A FUTURE LEFT FOR A CFI THESE DAYS?

Guest Maximinious

To answer the question:

No.

Helicopter operations around the world will stop within the next few years. Whenever somebody retires or moves to a different job or machine, the helicopter he was flying before will get scrapped or put in a museum. Within 5 years, most helicopters will be gone and the few dozen remaining ones will be flown by 75 year old ex vietnam pilots.

Hope that helps!

There are some good questions here (although they have been gone over quite a bit in past posts and you folks new to the list might figure out how to some searches and look in to it, not being rude, just trying to help).

I especially like the humor, and hope the rest of you realize it's just that.

One point i would like to cover, that some of us have been discussing more than not lately, is that magic 1000 hour spot. I think in some ways it's almost a curse for the some of the CFIs that i know and have interviewed. I could be wrong about this, but i'm thinking that looking forward to this time in their careers the new CFIs start thinking "only 100 more hours till my 1000 and then i can move on". They tell their friends, and themselves, that they are almost there, like it's a right of passage and that everything will magically change over night. Then, sometimes for reasons that have NOTHING to do about them, they reach that moment in time that everyone has been waiting for and nothing happens... they don't move on. They start to think that there must be something wrong with them, or that their peers think that, or their family think that.. and it's a spiral that is hard to stop. I know it's difficult to keep your chin up when you can't get a job anyway, but add the introspect to it and things just seem to get worst.

Things have changed for now, you probably need more than 1000 hours for that entry level job. Some of you will get jobs with 300 hours, some with 600, but that is not the norm and you have to expect that especially now. I would like to see people not put that pressure on themselves.. know that it's harder now, but as people that know the industry are saying, "this too shall change" and it will get better. Realize that fluctuation is a part of most businesses and make it work for you, what's wrong with spending a little more time teaching, many people that i speak with say it was the best part of their career.

If you want this, then earn it, no one said it was going to be easy.

dp

.do you think its harder to get a job as a CFI or to get hired for an entry level job after obtaining 1000 PIC?

I'm sure there's an employed CFI, or one who has 1200 hours and has been looking for work for months, who will offer a different opinion, but the outlook is worse for those of us with

I wonder whether it's time to be throttling back training to time your CFI with an uptick in hiring.

I wonder whether it's time to be throttling back training to time your CFI with an uptick in hiring.

something we have been wondering as well.. and i'd like to have others opinions of it.

i know that financining has changed, but it is still out there. we have 100% success in getting $$ for students so far.. they have had to do more i expect to qualify but it can be done.

dp

Hopefully one of you guys can give me a good suggestion so I don't end up selling roses on the side of the road.

How badly do you want to fly professionally?

Do what you love. Don't settle for anything less.

I really like you outlook on things RkyMt. I have my whole life tried to be positive in everything I do... This is by far the hardest challenge I have ever had to face.. With probable 50 or more of my resumes sent around the country, making many phone calls/emails, I have still come up with little to know luck.. I have had ten or so company's tell me that they would love to hire me if things pick up!

Well things just aren't picking up very quickly, with $70,000 in loans to pay back and work slow with my other job , I find myself asking the question daily Why!!! lol Why did I do this , Why did the economy have to take a dive now.. I have not yet attended the Robinson Safety Course, because of financial reasons and my current job.. Hoping after I find the time and money for it that it will broaden my horizons a little bit. BUT every time I get back up in the air I remember the answer to most of those Whys, because I love it !! So I then again get a little more motivation to keep on keep-in on ...

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE IN THE INDUSTRY, AND HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY SEASON !!!

We can hope for a bright and fulfilling new year :)

I just look at it as tomorrow will be another day of hope. It can only get better after the year I've had. I lost my Dad June 20th, 2009 age 66, my Dad's mom (my grandmother) August 24, 2009 age 93, my job November 15, 2009 and my Dad's 10 year old cat (same age as my oldest boy) on December 4, 2009. I've sent out several resumes and with only a few replys back. But it can only get better cause tomorrow is another day of hope. Happy Holidays everyone and fly safe.

Steve

Seems like the hardest part is landing an entry level gig after you hit that magic number of 1000 PIC (or is it more now?).

The most difficult part will be the hours before 1000 PIC, is your flight school growing at a rate large enough to hire you as a CFI?

Because there a legions or CFI's floating aimlessly in the market after their particular school did not hire them for one reason or another.

Thanks Maximinious,

I was lucky in that as soon as I got my CFI I started flying doing some photo work for a former student/CFI. I would fly for 1 hour every week and then walk door-to-door selling the photos on weekends. After a few weeks of that I got hired on at Croman in Oregon doing firefighting in the Sikorsky SH-3H. After a few months of the firefighting in CA, AZ, and TX I was sent to Alaska to log using the S61. What a blast. If you do not have a very strong stomach you will get sick from the motion. As for the market now... it is really tough. Most operators are requiring 1250-1500 PIC. These were the operators that 2years ago only required the 1000 PIC. Also they are requiring you have some turbine time. Good luck and fly safe.

Steve