Richard Root hates helicopter noise

vtolblog

http://vtolblog.com/?p=1459

Stop interrupting his conversations.

Anyone fly around there? I'd consider it a bonus to see so much helo action. I bet he saw the R66 many times.

I fly down there all the time, I just wish he would publish his lat/long, then I would have a spot to do some hover practice.

Put an H3 over his house for an hour and then he'll have something to compare helicopter noise to!

Funny, his website has 4 photos of "offending" aircraft. One is an R22, which couldnt interrupt my conversation if it landed in my backyard, two are R44's, which are about the quietest helicopter on the market, and the other is an H-65 Coast Guard Dolphin, which has the coolest sound known to man, and spends its time on patrol either saving lives, or training to save lives.

Probably just me, but if I didnt like aircraft noise, I probably wouldnt buy a house which is straight out from the departure end of the runway of a major airport.

And I'm probably biased a bit on this subject.

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

These kind of people bug me so much. He buys a house in the flight path of an airport. An airport that has been the home of a helicopter manufacturer for 30 years no less... He then feels he has the right to force the airport to move or change. Get real! Theres reason that house was so cheep.... I have no sympathy for these people, and their constant bitching makes me want to hover over their house for an hour or so....

Up here in Central Cal we had a mentally unstable guy threatening to start shooting at the fixed and rotor wing traffic that "kept flying in circles over his house at 200 ft"....

Turns out he lived under the holding pattern for the main approach into our airport. The holding altitude was 2000' (1800' agl).... Needless to say the police paid him a visit and we don't have to worry about threats anymore....

As far as altitude, 500 AGL should be more than enough. Our transition altitude through the Charlie airspace is 500 here. Thats over a major city. There are no complaints about that. The PD helicopters circle all day at 500 AGL. No real complaints about that. Yet this man feels the helicopters are there just to annoy him. Damn those PD and CG helicopters protecting the public!

Sorry for ranting, but these people make me sick, and I'm not having a great evening to begin with....

I live right on an airport and I love watching the aircraft fly over.

They go quite low, 300 feet or less, yet even the helicopters flapping heavily are much less loud then my neighbor mowing the lawn, and they pass out of audible range in a few seconds.

These kind of people bug me so much. He buys a house in the flight path of an airport. An airport that has been the home of a helicopter manufacturer for 30 years no less... He then feels he has the right to force the airport to move or change. Get real! Theres reason that house was so cheep.... I have no sympathy for these people, and their constant bitching makes me want to hover over their house for an hour or so....

Preaching to the choir here dude!! ;)

My poor students have to learn a helicopter traffic pattern at 1000' AGL because of yappers like this. We might aswel be climbing to FL390 for each spin round the pattern. Total waste of time.

I fly down there all the time, I just wish he would publish his lat/long, then I would have a spot to do some hover practice.

Richard A. Root lives at 216 Via Buena Ventura, which is two streets south of El Retiro Park.

N 33° 48’ 52”

W 118° 22’ 53”

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&r...ved=0CAgQnwIwAA

According to the (ASLHA the sound level of a Robinson at 1000' agl, which according to even his numbers should be about 65 decibels, is between a vaccuum and a normal conversation, and quieter than an alarm clock.

All of that being said, from the responses I've read to the article on different news web sites there's a lot of ignorant people feeling entitled to a chance to tell everyone how they should think and feel (see this link for futher explanation) on every side of the issue, and it would be nice to see a little restraint on our end. Simply put, pilots could fly the posted PCH route in and out more regularly, pay a little more attention to their alt, and he could find something better to do with his time, since this discussion has been had between the Torrance residents and councils before, and it hasn't changed a thing.

Ideally, the operators get a verbal reprimand from the airport manager, Root gets a few (dozen) eggs dropped on his house from an R66, and everyone moves on. :)

Richard A. Root lives at 216 Via Buena Ventura, which is two streets south of El Retiro Park.

N 33° 48’ 52”

W 118° 22’ 53”

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&r...ved=0CAgQnwIwAA

Leave it to a Fed ! Of course, I would want to enter these coordintes into my GPS so I know which area to avoid while transiting the area.

Plato- How does someone from NC know about the PCH Arrivals? And yes, I fly that arrival every time inbound.

Goldy