helitack pilots

blueskies 54

Is there are any pilots who work for helitack crews I have a question; As an employed CFI with lots of GROUND wildland fire backround is it ever possible being a helitack crewmember to get occasional stick time, i.e when ferrying the aircraft around (I know the forest service rules and they would say a capital NO NO, but im talking about under the radar) and/or is it worthwhile to be a helitack crewmember and make contacts with pilots while being a firefighter. The reason I ask is that being a CFI is not paying the bills anymore, and I am looking for other employment, but still want to stay in aviation, just need a livable paycheck until things pick up again? Thanks in advance!

Is there are any pilots who work for helitack crews I have a question; As an employed CFI with lots of GROUND wildland fire backround is it ever possible being a helitack crewmember to get occasional stick time, i.e when ferrying the aircraft around (I know the forest service rules and they would say a capital NO NO, but im talking about under the radar) and/or is it worthwhile to be a helitack crewmember and make contacts with pilots while being a firefighter. The reason I ask is that being a CFI is not paying the bills anymore, and I am looking for other employment, but still want to stay in aviation, just need a livable paycheck until things pick up again? Thanks in advance!

Under the radar would be illegal and you know that.

You need to be hired as a SIC if the helicopter is flying under a contract.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Falko that it would be wrong for you to be in control of the aircraft without meeting their requirements. I do not think it would be illegal, however, it would be a breach of contract which could result in termination with the contract company. On that note no contract company would allow (or should allow) any operation that would jeopardize their contract.

As I understand it the contract company chooses their pilots and crew. If you want to get on as a crew member you need to impress the people who are handling the crews for the contract company. It does not hurt to get to know the helitack crew but keep in mind that they may have little if anything to say about who they work with.

The bottom line is work any place you can to make a living. It would be ideal to find something in aviation and if that is not possible even working at Mc Donalds would be better than not having a job.

Best of luck to you!!

• 4 weeks later...

There are contract and FAR 135 issues. You would also be jeopardizing your career, the pilots career and the operators contract. Don't use your relationship with the pilot to put him on the spot by asking him for stick time. Remember the objective is to return home safely every night to your family and get a paycheck. Everything after that is a mere refinement.