Airplane Add-on

slick1537

Why all the focus on only doing the minimum required.?

I don't think it has anything to do with squeaking by with the bare minimums. Personally it is more of a combination of boredom and just an issue with the ability to read the regulations.

Any excuse to avoid the family around the holidays :-D

I like that quote.

Question: Has anyone signed off the add-on rating using IACRA using the 19 hours. Does it accept it or kick it out? I'm sure it does to same thing no matter what part of the country one is in.

I was always on the 19 hour side. One needs 20 hours of dual(not specific in any category) AND 10 hours solo of 61.107(B)(1) but I can see how both the dual and solo can be interpreted for 61.107(B)(1).

In my experience it never mattered because I always taught in Robbies which needed 20 hours dual anyway per the SFAR so I never tried it out in IACRA. Any instructors in other ships care to answer?

We have done about 17 using IACRA with 20 hours. Sometimes they are kicked back with a question, but never because of not enough hours.

Then I think that there would be the answer. Not that IACRA is perfect but if it accepts the 19 hours than I would think that that would be it. The FAA designed it to kick out applications that are unqualified so they don't have to look for mistakes so much. If it goes through with 19 hours than it must be acceptable with the regs. If your examiner won't do a checkride for someone with under 30hrs for an add-on then you might want to ask them about that or find a different examiner, or just eat the extra hours if you still want to use that examiner but can't convince him/her.

Then I think that there would be the answer. Not that IACRA is perfect but if it accepts the 19 hours than I would think that that would be it. The FAA designed it to kick out applications that are unqualified so they don't have to look for mistakes so much. If it goes through with 19 hours than it must be acceptable with the regs. If your examiner won't do a checkride for someone with under 30hrs for an add-on then you might want to ask them about that or find a different examiner, or just eat the extra hours if you still want to use that examiner but can't convince him/her.

IACRA is really screwed up.

But hey, if it accepts it and you get the warm and fuzzies, then go for it.