Importance of writtens

What is the importance of your FAA airman knowledge test score if it is over 70%? It seems like its just a pass / fail thing but do/can employers ever look at the score?

Every inspector or examiner I have dealt with has taken the original test with them after the practical exam.

The instructor has to give an endorsement that says that the instructor has given additional instruction in all the areas shown deficient on the airman knowledge test. To do this, the instructor reviews the written test report and covers these areas.

The inspector or examiner could also look at the weak areas on the written test and cover these again. As far as employers looking at the score, I am not an employer so I can't answer that question.

What is the importance of your FAA airman knowledge test score if it is over 70%? It seems like its just a pass / fail thing but do/can employers ever look at the score?

If you were a DPE giving an oral, and one guy in front of you scored a 70, and the other guy scored a 99, how many questions are you going to ask each one?

In other words, I would expect a tougher oral review of someone that just barely passed with a 70.

If I went and took a written and scored a 70, I would go back, study and take it again. I would NOT want to walk into an oral with that low of a score.....but I know people that have.

You're not required to keep any sort of test results once you gain the privileges of a certificate, so, there is no expectation by anyone I know of, to see your results as part of a job.

Goldy

It sounds to me like you already have the wrong attitude about it. Why try to do more than the minimum in anything? Are you going to fly the practical test just trying to barely hit the minimums as well, just because it is a pass/fail?

It sounds to me like you already have the wrong attitude about it. Why try to do more than the minimum in anything? Are you going to fly the practical test just trying to barely hit the minimums as well, just because it is a pass/fail?

No, I am simply trying to understand and be aware of the situation. But if your trying to tell me to do the best I can regardless, thanks for the encouragement :)

To elaborate on Choppedair's remark... You really don't want to be a pilot who's wrong 30% of the time!

I generally endorse my students for a written after they are consistently scoring in the high 90's on practice tests. If they can't get to that level in a practice situation, I'm not doing my job very well!

Anyone have a link to that report where they took several pilots with 1,000's of hours and gave them a surprise FAA private written? Average score was in the 50's and over 3/4's of the pilots failed.

An FAA written is a poor way to determine someone's knowledge. Many of the questions are so vague that the only way to get it correct is to memorize the answer. However, they do insure that the applicant likely can read and understand English and has no significant learning disabilities. If they wanted to actually determine an applicant's knowledge of a subject, they wouldn't have 3 multiple guess answers. Does anyone remember when they had 4 answers?

• 1 month later...
The instructor has to give an endorsement that says that the instructor has given additional instruction in all the areas shown deficient on the airman knowledge test. To do this, the instructor reviews the written test report and covers these areas.

No they don't. That's only if they failed the test. It says right at the top of that section

"Authorized instructor's statement. (If Applicable)"

It's printed on every results page since it's just a form. But the wording is

"....I have given the above named applicant ___ hours of additional instruction, covering each subject area shown to be deficient, and consider the applicant competent to pass the test."

Basically, you need that filled out to retake the test if you failed. If you passed it, you are good to go. It would be good for your instructor to go over the questions you missed but it's not technically required. Although, in my opinion, if you cared you would go over it yourself, look at what you missed and why you missed it.

No they don't. That's only if they failed the test. It says right at the top of that section

"Authorized instructor's statement. (If Applicable)"

It's printed on every results page since it's just a form. But the wording is

"....I have given the above named applicant ___ hours of additional instruction, covering each subject area shown to be deficient, and consider the applicant competent to pass the test."

Basically, you need that filled out to retake the test if you failed. If you passed it, you are good to go. It would be good for your instructor to go over the questions you missed but it's not technically required. Although, in my opinion, if you cared you would go over it yourself, look at what you missed and why you missed it.

61.39(a)(6)(iii).

This is a required endorsement. This section is called Prerequisites for PRACTICAL TESTS, not knowledge tests. If a person fails a knowledge test, they would be under category 61.49, which is Retesting after a failure. The instructore would review the knowledge, give the student their 61.49 endorsement, and the student would then get their passing score (hopefully). Before the practical test, the instructor would review what they missed on the knowledge test, give them an endorsement per 61.39(a)(6)(i-iii).