CA-OR-WA trip

teddy

I am going to be driving from LA to Seattle doing a "road trip" in a couple days. I am doing this because I have never been in that area, and I want to check out some flight schools along the way. If you want to refer me somewhere, let me know and ill check em out! I dont have a time limit so im also open to meeting up with a fellow VR member to shoot the sh*t.

When you head up into Oregon, check out Precision Aviation in Newberg. Its just outside of Portland. Also while right in that area, you can check out Sunset Helicopters in Aurora. I took a discovery flight with the guys at Precision about a year ago, and they seemed like a good little outfit. The guys in Newberg train on 300's only. They also conduct part 135 operations with a few MD-500s they have. Think they still have an Ec-130 up there, don't know. Don't know much about Sunset Helicopters. They have a couple 500's, a Huey, a couple 300's, and I think a Robi. They do some commerical work as well.

I know they crew at Sunset very well, as well as everyone at Leading Edge in Bend, OR. It will be well worth your time to stop by both places. Sunset is right off I-5 so its easy to find. PM if you want specific contact info. I did all my training in the Willamette Valley and Central Oregon, awesome place to train! Lots of mountains, beaches and rivers to play on, and lots of weather to learn about too!

I have not had a chance to visit it, but I hear that the Evergreen Air Museum in McMinnville, Oregon is not to be missed http://www.sprucegoose.org/

Hey sounds like a fun trip. Check out as many schools as you can and ask as many questions as you can. Think ahead of time all the questions you'd want to ask and maybe write them down. Not only about they're flight training but with so many schools closing down lately you want to make sure you find out as much as you can about the company as a whole too.

As far as what schools to check out I agree with Rag, definitely get an intro flight from Precision (flyprecision.com). I've done my private there and am almost through my instrument rating. They're a great school with awesome instructors, the rates are pretty much unbeatable, and like mrjibbs said oregon's a great place to train in. You'll also get to see lots of MD500's/520N's flyin in and out of there all the time. Hope your trip goes well.

Edit:

Hey if you need a place to stay on your way through I could offer you a couch for a night.

Edited by nocarsgo

I have not had a chance to visit it, but I hear that the Evergreen Air Museum in McMinnville, Oregon is not to be missed http://www.sprucegoose.org/

Jerry Trimble has a helicopter right across from the museum...both are worth checking out. If you go out to Boise to Silverhawk, you should also touch base with Dave Smith from Helicopter Academy--he's out there for the winter. Stop by the lovely Tri-shities on the way...there are a couple of us from VR in that area.

There is nothing that requires you to do all your training at one school or in one type of helicopter. Having at least 50 hours in each of the two most popular trainers H300 & R22) will be beneficial to you when you go looking for your first flying job.

I did my initial training at Precision and for the most part I was happy with them. There were a couple of issues, but you will find those at any flight school. Look for the right fit for you.

Teddy,

Definitely spend the time to check out Leading Edge Aviation in Bend, OR. www.flybend.com. I looked at flight schools all over the country and ended up moving to Bend from New England because it was the best place I could find. 5000+ DA (mtn flying) all summer long. Awesome business owners, and a school that's growing - which is key when it comes time for the instructor job. We're linked up with the community college in town/VA so we have a healthy source of incoming students. If you want more specifics, or a couch to crash on, give me a call when you're on your way.

Greg

(508) 468-1070 (massachusetts #, but i'm in bend)

• 2 months later...

3 months and 3,000 miles later, my trip has officially reached an end. I have had some priceless experiences both related and unrelated to aviation. I would like to share some of the things I have learned and some of the things I have been reminded of.

More people read this (VR) than you would think, and it truly is a small industry.

There is a fine line separating prosperity and disaster, do what you can to stay as far away from that line as possible. you can decide what that means.

Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you make of it. This goes along with age not being a good indication of quality.

Its going to be a long and hard road - worth every second.

I have heard a lot of conflicting opinions, advice, and information but luckily only you can decide. Besides, pilots are not the sharpest tools in the shed, we wouldn't be flying helicopters if we were! All joking aside, VR is an amazing resource and I hope to see more people get off the sidelines and start posting. If you are interested in where I ended up either send me a PM or wait about a month because I will likely be raving or ranting. Special thanks to people like gregoire28 for the couch and RkyMtnHI for answering the endless stream of questions, It doesn't go unnoticed.