I am having a hard time finding financing for flight school.

Ok, recently I decided to go to flight school and get all of my ratings up to cfII. Its been my dream to do this for as long as I can remember. I settled on a school and am now having a hard time finding financing.

I dont have a co-signer and am kind of at a loss. Does anybody know about scholarships or grants. I heard of a program that some companies do where if you sign a contract with them they will pay your way through the school. Furthermore I am a veteran, I have the GI Bill, my credit history is flawless. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate. Thanks.

you and everyone else my friend

go get a private license on your own and then regroup

seriously, gi bill won't pay zero, zilch, nada for a private rating

you will then have to find a va approved 141 school and come up with the 40%

so I assume you want a loan for the private and the 40% unfortuneatly the choices are extremely limited and the interest rate is very high and the biggest reason they want a co-signer is in case you die ! AOPA has financing and so does Pilot Finance

only other option is to go to the post 911 bill and go to a university that will give you an aviation degree along with the flight training.

Edited by Rogue

What age are you?

My 2cents worth: Use your GI bill for Education - something like a Bus. degree. The time will come when you will need it to advance. Fly as a hobby or passion for a few years. Find a job to support your flying.

Thank you for your service to our country

Contact College of the sequoias in california. We can assist you in finding financing, we have several options including sallie mae career training loan (limited time till feb 16 when the program discontinues), chase select loan, pell grant, stafford loans and any scholarship you can find and use may be applied to your flight account. In addition to that we also can use your chapter 30 va benefits after your private. Currently working on state budget for chapter 33 as there are a few details to work out.

College of the sequoias, although a college is still only a 10 month program, unlike most college program where you have to attend for 2 years. You may attend 2 years to achieve your Associates in Aviation Technology, but bottom line is that no matter whether or not you choose to continue your education the helicopter courses are taken the first 2 semesters so there is no need to take any other courses if you choose not to.

Contact them at www.cosaviation.org or give me a call at 888-685-7405! Good Luck

Companies that pay for all of your training seems weird to me. All of the out of work CFI's who do not need any more training would gladly sign a contract if it meant they got a job. So why would anyone pay to build up a pilot from scratch? Yet police sometimes do this as well as foreign companies.

However for an American I'd say it's a pipe dream.

So you need a job after your flight training. Keep this in mind, make sure the school you picked seems active enough to theoretically have CFI position available when you have your ratings.

The alternative is you enter the massive ranks of jobless CFI's, and congratulations you just spent a hundred grand on a piece of plastic.

Sleeping City -

From your post you stated that you have the GI Bill. Depending on your active duty service you may be eligible to have 100% of your training paid for, meaning PRIVATE - CFII. Upper Limit Aviation in Salt Lake City in conjunction with Salt Lake City Community College is able to offer 100% coverage for training under the Post 9-11 GI bill. Not too many people know about this program, which is why many will say it is too good to be true. However, we currently have over 30 students, like yourself, who are enrolled and flying with us and having everything paid for!!! Please visit our website at www.ulaheli.com and give us a call at 801-596-7722 for more information.

-Jason

What age are you?

My 2cents worth: Use your GI bill for Education - something like a Bus. degree. The time will come when you will need it to advance. Fly as a hobby or passion for a few years. Find a job to support your flying.

Thank you for your service to our country

I second that... get a good job now, fly for fun and work your way up. It takes longer but it's a lot easier on the pocket book in the long run. (so far for me anyways)

jslider is right on. There are programs out there for the Post 9/11 GI Bill were you can basically get paid to learn how to fly and get a degree out of it. Such a good opportunity! I have done my share of research and as a CFI who is trying to get the program started at my school in San Diego there is no negatives. Good luck and have fun.

Definately use your Post 9/11 GI Bill! Depending on your time in service, you may be eligible for 100% coverage of your flight training. This is HUGE because flight training is very expensive to finance and if you can take advantage of your VA benefits to pay for this.. it is a great opportunity! In January, we started to accept Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefit Veterans for the Spring Semester of the Associate of Applied Science - Professional Helicopter Pilot Degree Program at Yavapai College in Prescott, AZ. We (Guidance Helicopters, Inc) are the flight school that will be providing the ground and flight training for this degree. Since we are FAA Part 141 and a high altitude training center, we have over 20+ students starting in the Spring who are Veterans. If you have any questions concerning the Post 9/11 GI Bill or how to apply for and use your GI Bill for flight training, please feel free to give us a call at 1-877-2FLY-GHI or 928-443-9370. Curt Marshall (our Student and Enrollment Service Rep) is a fellow Veteran and he is using his Chapter 33 benefit to attend our school. He is a great point of contact because he has first hand expirience on how to use VA Benefits.

We would be more then happy to answer any of your questions :D

Have a great day!