CFI Renewal Online

muppetdog

So its that two year time again for my CFI renewal. Last time I did it I had the pass rate and just went into the FSDO and they renewed it on the spot, but since I have not been instructing for two years I Think I am going to take the online course route.

I was looking at the Jeppesen course and I think that is going to be my best bet but would like to hear from some folks that have ether taken this course and what they thought about it, or have some better suggestions for courses.

Thanks,

MD

I did this last year and used the American Flyers online course. It has the advantage of you only having to pay once for the rest of your life. Unfortunately, like all the other online courses it is FW oriented. You are in the right time frame that you could do the CFI course at HeliExpo as that is helicopter oriented.

I did this last year and used the American Flyers online course. It has the advantage of you only having to pay once for the rest of your life. Unfortunately, like all the other online courses it is FW oriented. You are in the right time frame that you could do the CFI course at HeliExpo as that is helicopter oriented.

I do the American Flyers as well. I have been doing it since the late 90's. It is not a good course at all, but I have seen several different ones and none of them are good. It is rote memorization for the most part.

This year I really screwed up though. Shortly after I renewed my CFI in 2007 I decided to get my SSN off my certificate. I sent in the form and got three new certs in the mail. In 2008 I started using log ten pro for my log books and entered two years from my CFI issue date instead of flipping it around and using the expiration date. So, I take the American Flyers course, go to the FSDO, and everything looked god until the administrative lady said "This is expired?". I couldn't figure it out at first, but then it dawned on me. "Oh Crap" I said. "I have to take a ride." A couple days later I scheduled a ride and got it reinstated, but what was great about it is that it made me remember the pressure of a checkride. It was also good to fly with someone who is well experienced and has good information. Next year, I think I will think I will take another ride instead of the online test. Counts as a BFR as well.