Part 61 or Part 141..

eaw913

I'm getting ready to take a discover flight within the next few weeks and I have two choices.. one is a Part 61 and the other is a Part 141, but the Part 61 is cheaper. I'm just wonder what the difference is? Will it affect me later if I decide to go into flying helicopters for a career?

Just not sure if I should base it off that or not. Thanks.

There is a huge thread about this, so i wil keep it short.

Short answer: It doesn't matter....

I'm getting ready to take a discover flight within the next few weeks and I have two choices.. one is a Part 61 and the other is a Part 141, but the Part 61 is cheaper. I'm just wonder what the difference is? Will it affect me later if I decide to go into flying helicopters for a career?

Just not sure if I should base it off that or not. Thanks.

What is probably more important is how they do their maintenance, do scheduling, do you have a choice in instructors, how do you get along with the staff and owners. What are their policies about cancellations and accounts, etc. The better you can deal with the folks at the school and the fewer hassles you have, the better and more productive your learning experience will be.

When I was getting my commercial, the school I went to always gave first priority to the school owned helicopters, then the leased ones. I can understand that, but it always seemed that their owned helicopters run out of time late Friday afternoon or on Saturday. So there were some students canceled. Which can be frustrating.

What is probably more important is how they do their maintenance, do scheduling, do you have a choice in instructors, how do you get along with the staff and owners. What are their policies about cancellations and accounts, etc. The better you can deal with the folks at the school and the fewer hassles you have, the better and more productive your learning experience will be.

When I was getting my commercial, the school I went to always gave first priority to the school owned helicopters, then the leased ones. I can understand that, but it always seemed that their owned helicopters run out of time late Friday afternoon or on Saturday. So there were some students canceled. Which can be frustrating.

I agree with Rick, Make sure you get along with the school, and staff, not a huge difference in between the different parts.

My flight school was Part 61 and I just "fit" with them. Make sure to ask lots of questions!

It's my understanding from talking with a 141 instructor that everything you do is on a syllabus so every hour is accounted for and scheduled. Part 61 offers a lot more freedom to do what you want. I work at a part 61 and often ask commercial students, what do you want to do today? Go up to the lakes, run a canyon, go to the coast, fly around San Francisco. I always incorporate training in flights but that doesn't mean you can't have a crap load of fun and see amazing places. Good luck.

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

For some reason I heard somewhere that Part 61 was not counted under FAA and that it was not for pilots who wanted to make it a career. By the looks of it, though, I'd much more enjoy the Part 61 over Part 141. I like more freedom and I'd rather have fun than be on a strict schedule.

Any other opinions would be appreciated.

Trained under and now teach under Part 61. It's the only way to go unless you need 141 for VA bennies. Part 61 you learn the same stuff at your own pace and in the order that works best for you instead of being locked into a syllabus. It won't matter in the end either way, you'll be a CFII and 200hrs with the same skills as the next guy - or gal ;) It's what you make of the time that counts!

I've done both. 141 is great if you need the VA money, or if it's part of some degree plan that may require a more strict syllabus. But I'll be honest, it can be a real pain sometimes. When you hit a plateau, and you most definitely will, you may look at that lesson plan, and see you're stuck on Lesson 14 or what have you, and there is the tendency to start to berate yourself. "Dangit! Why can't I wrap my head around these darn Autorotations?" Etc. Part 61, if your instructor sees you're having a bit of trouble, you may just end up going and having a fun day. Maybe go see some cool stuff, do a class Bravo transition if available, then maybe go back and do one or two autos when you're relaxed and in the zone.

I'd go part 61. Most of them have a syllabus anyway, and you will always know what you'll be working on next time.

That's what I am drifting towards. I want an instructor who will make my experience fun and worthwhile. I don't want to feel like I am being strictly tutored, but I do want to learn the right way.

I will go and visit the Part 61 school this weekend, and most likely the Part 141 as well. Just to check and see how I like both. I will probably go with Part 61, though.

Thanks everyone.

Just because a school is part 141 certified does not force you to do your training under part 141. I know in the FW world, most schools will try to use the benefits of doing a mix for the training with Private/Instrument under 141 and commercial and higher under 61. Find a good school with instructors you can trust, as well as proper business and matiencance standards.

Just because a school is part 141 certified does not force you to do your training under part 141. I know in the FW world, most schools will try to use the benefits of doing a mix for the training with Private/Instrument under 141 and commercial and higher under 61. Find a good school with instructors you can trust, as well as proper business and matiencance standards.

Probably the best advice. That's essentially what I did.

I went to a Part 141 and on days that I had plateaued I booked the next flight to just fly so I could relax. I would do some training but I let the CFI show me more advanced maneuvers and then he would let me do them as well. The CFI showing me and letting me try these advanced maneuvers helped me with the basics and I was able to breakway from that plateau.

Just because it is a Part 141 does not mean you can not stray away from the syllabus. You are the paying customer. If you need a fun day of flying with little training involved, then do it. (Whether you say it or not, every flight is a training flight because you learn something new with every flight) It will help and all you have to do is ask. I did.

The Part 61 is very flexible. Everyday you are not in the ground classroom but in the flying classroom is a fun day in my book.

Good luck, enjoy, have lots of fun, but best of all.... fly safe.

Steve

I have gone to one of the largest 141 schools and several small part 61 "out of a hanger" operations.

The most important thing is the instructor. I have had horrible instructors in 141, great ones in part 61, and vice versa. If you can find a high time instructor that you like at any school I would go with that, even if it may mean paying more.

The extra ground classes at the 141 are very very helpful though. And obviously the job prospect when you are done training is vital.

But I can't stress enough how important being taught properly is during your initial training, especially because you will teach others based upon that.

What I am planning to do is a Part 61 while I'm here, then when I move after a couple years I will go to a Part 141. I was thinking of getting my CFII under Part 61 while I'm in college.

What I am planning to do is a Part 61 while I'm here, then when I move after a couple years I will go to a Part 141. I was thinking of getting my CFII under Part 61 while I'm in college.

Doing private under part 61 is going to cost you an extra 5 hours of solo time. Along with program differences don't forget there are hour differences as well.