Easiest Way to Return to Flying After 14 Years

EW64

I am trying to get my foot in the door of a flying job and my question is what is the easiest method for me to do so - is there a pilot job out there anywhere in the world that is the least desirable and therefore easiest to get hired?

A bit about me, I'm a former Army Pilot/Instructor Pilot with 1600+ hours but I've been away from aviation for 14 years other than renting one on occasion. I'd appreciate any insight and advice any of you can give.

Been there, did that... Well, not for 14 years. But anyhow, the first thing to do is get a current physical. Then, I'd recommend getting back in the saddle with a CFI aboard, buy some time stirring the stick. There was a time when some of "the biggies" would interview for personality, fly to verify claimed experience and could then economically bring a guy current. I doubt that's so now. Never hurts to ask before you drop a grand or two, but...

You'll probably get back in the swing pretty quick, especially if you were a scout pilot and have some single pilot experience. Rumor is that some pilots separate from the service these days having never, ever been the entire flight crew. The civilian world would be major culture shock.

Start networking. This seems to be a tough time in the helo world, and that started before the recession. A rather large flight school operator folded, dumping a bunch of pilots into a shallower pool. There's a lot of talent available right now.

The good news is networking leads are easier to find in the internet age.

I'm in the same boat as you except I haven't flown for 15 1/2 years. I'm also former Army Pilot/IP on UH-1H/V's and UH-60A's. Let me add some other possibilities for you. Here are two websites: http://www.lsirucker.com/home/ and http://www.s3inc.com/. Both are instructor pilot jobs at Mother Rucker. LSI instructs in the TH-67 and S3 instructs in the AH-64D Longbow. I've applied to both and LSI requested that I fill out their application. No word back yet. S3 has not responded so far. I live in Hawaii and I have applied to local, mainland, and overseas companies. I knew that my lack of recent flying experience would be a huge obstacle to overcome. The good thing with LSI is you have to go through MOI before you are turned loose with students. They will get you back up to speed so having not flown for years will not be a problem. With your credentials you should not have to start at the bottom. I hope this helps you.