Apache - throttle or collective?

I always assumed the Apache AH-64 helicopter used a standard collective control stick like most other helicopters. But I saw a youtube video of the interior of one the other day and it appeared to use 2 throttle levers instead. Does the apache even have a collective? Does it use both for some reason? Really interested to know.

edit: whoops, sorry for somehow posting in the wrong forum. I was wondering why I couldnt find it here

I always assumed the Apache AH-64 helicopter used a standard collective control stick like most other helicopters. But I saw a youtube video of the interior of one the other day and it appeared to use 2 throttle levers instead. Does the apache even have a collective? Does it use both for some reason? Really interested to know.

edit: whoops, sorry for somehow posting in the wrong forum. I was wondering why I couldnt find it here

I think you'll find the answer as collective-yes, throttles-not on the collective like you may be used to.

I've never flown in a 64, but it's that way in the H3 from what I recall.

Goldy

Goldy is correct. Most larger helicopters utilize seperate throttle levers not located on the collective.

Remember, there are two diffferent controls located on the collective of your training helicopter. One is the throttle and one is the collective. They are not always located together, but they're still always there in some fashion.

They're power control levers. Well...that's what we call them in Blackhawks anyway. They fill the same purpose, regardless.

For us, there are three detents: Off, Idle, and Fly. In the event that there's a "Low side failure" on one engine (decreasing engine RPM), you can go past the fly detent into "lockout" and then adjust the PCL to desired power. If you get a high side failure (increasing RPM) you can retard the PCL.

They're not really adjusted except for startup, shutdown, and emergency procedures. The only reason they're located there on a -64 is because of the canopy. (-60 has them mounted overhead in the center)

Also: as said, Apaches do have collectives.

Ahhh, thank you very much charyoutree! Come to think of it, I didnt know turbine powered helo's controlled turbing power independently. I thought the use of the collective translated into power increases too. Clearly I dont know too much about helicopters :) And thanks for pointing out the purpose of the power levers on the roof of the blackhawk, I had also been wondering what those did (thought they were rotor brakes lol)

Charyou is right, we call them Power Levers. Off, Idle, and Fly. The only reason they would move from the fly position is that of an EP.

And yes the collective has 2 area's one for weapons and one for everything else.

We do have rotor brakes as well ;) but it's a simple toggle switch.

Edited by wopilot