Landing on California BLH Land

HeloJunkie

I have searched a few threads here and did not find what I was looking for....what I want to do is land out in the Salton Sea/Ocotillo Wells area on BLM land but not at KSAS or the dirt strip at Ocotillo.

Of course a search of the BLM website turned up nothing.

Anyone have idea other than to just give them a call and ask...?

Thanks

I do all the time but of course I can in my case. I would just get on the phone with them. If you just want to do it for fun/personal use I doubt it would happen. If there was a specific reason why then you would have better luck.

JD

I do all the time but of course I can in my case. I would just get on the phone with them. If you just want to do it for fun/personal use I doubt it would happen. If there was a specific reason why then you would have better luck.

JD

We did a commercial operation out there last year and landed in the parking lot, no sweat, very co-op rangers is what I heard.

Junkie- I'll email you a couple email addresses of the pilots involved and they can give you the details of the planning piece.

Goldy

Richard- Email sent.

Edited by Goldy

We did a commercial operation out there last year and landed in the parking lot, no sweat, very co-op rangers is what I heard.

Junkie- I'll email you a couple email addresses of the pilots involved and they can give you the details of the planning piece.

Goldy

Richard- Email sent.

Thanks Goldy !!

Well, I have spent the better part of several hours on the phone talking to all kinds of different people.

I eventually ended up talking to a guy named Dallas Meeks (Dallas Meeks, (760) 337-4453 or e-mail dallas_meeks@ca.blm.gov) who works for the BLM.

He took the time to contact the BLM Law Enforcement folks and basically they said I could land anywhere on BLM land that I wanted so long as its not on a road or within 1 mile of Geco Road at the Imperial Sand Dunes.

The only other consideration was that there was no fueling of the helicopter allowed on BLM land.

That is good news !! Not only did he tell me on the phone, but he also told me in a voice mail. He was very helpful and went out of his way to do the research. It was nice finally talking to someone interested in getting to the right answer.

(I have attached the actual voicemail from Mr. Meeks.)

B)BLM_Voicemail_1_29_2010.wav

That is good to hear. I would also let L.E. know a head of time. That way if anyone calls in about a helicopter landing somewhere they will already know what is going on. Otherwise, they may show up after landing to see what you are doing. Have fun.

JD

See, told ya it was a piece of cake! Great contact info there for all of us...in fact, been thinking of a flight onto some BLM area coming up in April to coincide with a certain run to Vegas.

Goldy

I'm glad to hear that you got the answer I would have guessed. I live in Colorado and camp on BLM land quite a lot and have found that it is very liberal in its laws compared to USFS land (which I work on, not for!). I have been wondering the same thing, as it would seem ideal for a little heli camping. In 20 years I have never seen any kind of law enforcement. It would seem that BLM is the place to go, as I have assumed. :D :D :) :)

Edited by Snowman

I'm glad to hear that you got the answer I would have guessed. I live in Colorado and camp on BLM land quite a lot and have found that it is very liberal in its laws compared to USFS land (which I work on, not for!). I have been wondering the same thing, as it would seem ideal for a little heli camping. In 20 years I have never seen any kind of law enforcement. It would seem that BLM is the place to go, as I have assumed. :D :D :) :)

Goldy, if you come to Vegas, let me know. We can meet up if not busy. Depends on where you are landing. If you go to the Imperial Sand Dunes on weekends in the Fall/Spring you will see L.E. out there. Other areas like Ocotillo Wells will not be covered as much.

JD

Goldy, if you come to Vegas, let me know. We can meet up if not busy. Depends on where you are landing. If you go to the Imperial Sand Dunes on weekends in the Fall/Spring you will see L.E. out there. Other areas like Ocotillo Wells will not be covered as much.

JD

Went up to Vegas last weekend, just took a commercial flight. But I'll be up there again for the Baker To Vegas run...been thinking maybe I should take a ship up !

Goldy

Portions of Ocotillo are considered state park. A friend landed his ultra light there a couple of years ago and was promptly chased down by a ranger and ticketed. They treated it as a felony and placed him on 3 years probation. I thought the Imperial sand Dunes are also considered state park land???

Let us know how it works for you - I've wanted to land there but considered it too risky.

Fly