What's a WOFT board review like?

Hey there,

It's been a few years since I posted on here. I started my WOFT application process with a recruiter a few weeks ago. I was under the impression before that as long as you meet the requirements you should make it into the program. Now that I've done some intense reading on the forums, I hear these stories about well qualified applicants not getting selected. Is it just because there weren't job openings? Or were their packets good looking but they just bombed the board review?

On paper, I'm sure I look just fine. 99th percentile on the asvab with a 141 GT score. Haven't taken the AFAST yet but I've been studying for months, and also have my private pilot fixed wing license so that may give me a slight advantage on the test. I got my private fixed wing because it was a cheap way (relative to rotary) to find out if I liked the aviation industry as much as I thought I did, and I found out that I LOVE it. I don't foresee any problems with credit/background check/medical history. I want to devote my life to flying and I strongly want to serve my country. - So how do I successfully market myself to the board? To you current warrant officers who have been there and done that: what is it like when you're facing the board?

Thanks in advance

David

"Market myself" is an interesting way of putting it. It's been a while since I was boarded, but if I remember right, i got asked several background/ leadership questions. However, I was fresh out of the Marine Corps as a h-53 crewchief/ NVG aircrew instructor so they really didn't question my resolve. I ended up going Commissioned in the Guard, hating it, & getting out when I knocked my wife up for the 2nd time.

I'd say don't sweat it to much, be yourself. U have some outstanding scores. Like I tell most folks, make damn sure its what you want to do. Its not about flying, its a lifestyle.

Check out www.kiowapilots.com if you haven't already.

just my $.02; best of luck

It has been 14 years since my board. There is actually a regulation covering the board, research it and see how the Army wants is done. Having said that, I remember reading that reg states the board president can conduct it as he/she wishes.

I had a buddy's dad (Ret. LTC) prep me for it. He coached me on every question they had in the book and he threw a few others at me. He even critiqued my posture, facial expressions, diction, and the way I entered the room. Maybe it was overkill but it worked.

I was a civilian applicant with fixed wing flying experience. My board was comprised of an Arty MAJ (president), Armor CPT, and INF CPT that was 'tabbed out'. When I sat down the MAJ said he was going to ask me what I'd done since high school then immediately said "OK, lets hear it....." I covered college, flight instructing, aerobatic competition, etc.

I was definitely not cocky, I was lightly confident but I spoke to them like they were humans, not gods. I remember feeling some what at ease because I had prepared so much for it, had to fight with recruiters at every step and had set a 'Plan B' in place. I was then thrown off balance when the INF CPT asked "What do you think about getting shot at?" My first thought was: "Who the he!! wants to get shot at. I hated it when other kids shot BB's at me growing up" I obviously didn't say that and I won't tell you what I said (you need to answer that yourself) but I looked him in the eye and spoke from the heart. Which is all you can do.

Don't act like a dumb@ss and be exactly who you are. The people interviewing you very well may be riding on your aircraft some day and want to get a feel for who you are. Be yourself.

It's late, I just flew 4.5 at night in the mountains and I'm tired, sorry if I rambled.

Get that reg and research, prepare, relax, and be YOU.

Good Luck.

P.S. If I can do it, anyone can.

I just gave up a year and a half of my life becoming an expert at the WOFT application process and spent countless hours of frustration caused by lazy recruiters. They got sick of seeing me and finally accepted me I guess.

It paid off..... The moneys pretty good and the flying's fun

Lol at FLHooker: damn, that's exactly how I imagined it would be like. Maybe a little chinese water torture?

Macatstarr: I'm checking out that site right now, pretty cool, thank you. And yes, trust me, I am 110% sure about this. I'll crack open a beer and read the pilots handbook of aeronautical knowledge if I don't have anything to do on a Friday night.

BillyBob: That wasn't rambling, that was exactly what I'm looking for, thank you. It's late (just got off work), I'll try to find that regulation tomorrow morning. But what you said makes sense, to show them that you're knowledgeable but not cocky. I'll see what type of contacts my recruiter has, and if he knows someone who could drill me a little like your friends dad did. It'd be great to prepare that way, so I don't draw a blank when they ask me the tough questions. Good to know, thank you.

Thank you wopilot, that website is key. I'm sure some people in the future considering WOFT will read this eventually, so here's some Q&A's I found particularly useful on baseops.net after doing a bit of searching. It lists some questions you may be asked during your interview and how to prepare.

http://www.baseops.net/archive/archiveupt.html#ots

Keep in mind that the board might not always be just an interview. When I went I got a few questions: "If you had to choose between being a leader or being an aviator, which would you choose?" "Why Army aviation?" "Do you have a plan B?"

Some time was spent telling me that my packet was average and that I had a good chance of not being selected. Can you hear something like that and not get tripped up? I was not expecting to hear that in my interview and it was quite unpleasant to hear, but I kept my bearing and did not let hearing that affect the rest of my interview. That's what they wanted to see.

Most of my interview revolved around that last question, my plan B. The Major who was interviewing me spent a lot of time drawing out the possible paths I could take to becoming a aviator were I not selected. This was one of the most important parts of the interview because it showed him how well I listen and absorb what is being told to me.

Edited by SBuzzkill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...