noob, need opinions, price and location doesn't matter

Although it would be a plus, I don't think I would base a decision around whether the school had a plan to get me to 1000.

Then you'll probably just be part of some lucky CFIs plan to get to 1000 hrs. Having a plan for yourself is the difference between setting out on a career and following your dream, and most flight schools sell the dream but talk around the reality. This is what most students fall for (myself included), thinking that schools will hire the best students as instructors. Bad timing can't help even the best student.

Realistically these days, you're probably looking at 1250-1500 for a job.

Very true. Guys with >3000 hrs are vying for those jobs that 1000-hr pilots used to be able to get.

Does military time transfer directly to the civilian world or how does that work?

For the most part it does. If you can provide proof that you were a rated pilot in the military, which you will get from your military close outs, it is just a matter of applying for the FAA certificates.

Having a plan for yourself is the difference between setting out on a career and following your dream, and most flight schools sell the dream but talk around the reality.

I totally understand your point about having a plan. It just doesn't seem reasonable that a school guarantee an instructor spot before even seeing what you are capable of. There is no way of being able to know what kind of a pilot someone will be until they start going through the program. I would seriously question how good a school is if they did guarantee someone a spot before seeing how good they are.

Bell_222

You have to take into consideration that its not always going to be this bad. The economy is in the crapper. I have faith that someday things will turn around. Economies go through unexplained cycles of growth and decline. It just so happens that this decline wasn't messing around. Getting into aviation right now if you have the means will probably work out great for you in the big picture.

There aren't a lot of pilots being trained right now and someday things will open up and pilots will be needed again. Before the poop hit the fan, from my understanding, things were going pretty good. You may just have to tough it out. I got 50 hours in the last 4 months. Trust me, it sucks working for your rating and not having it work out the way you wanted. Getting to 1,000 instructing or even getting a instructing position is going to be an XP grind. Things do happen though. Specialized just posted a job listing and there was a few a while bike. Just take as many shots as you can and eventually one will it.

Flying is the greatest thing you will do so follow your dreams.

I totally understand your point about having a plan. It just doesn't seem reasonable that a school guarantee an instructor spot before even seeing what you are capable of. There is no way of being able to know what kind of a pilot someone will be until they start going through the program. I would seriously question how good a school is if they did guarantee someone a spot before seeing how good they are.

You and the others that have posted the same sentiment are right. Never expect a school to guarantee a job. If a school does, cast a jaded aye and look elsewhere. Remember first and foremost, you are going there to get trained. Pick a school because of the quality of the instructors, the instruction given and their reputation in the industry and not because they are giving you a "guarantee" on a job.

If becoming a CFi isn't the only way to build hours, I would sure like to know what the other ways are(for a civilian). I've been looking for four years now. :(

Become an AMP and build hours that way? I saw a tour job in Georgia that required 500 hours that was flying 44s.

if you become an A&P you will never build hours because you will be busy working on the ground and won't make enough money to ever pay for any hours.... sure you MIGHT get lucky and get a company that would let you get some time but that is 99% no, as a company wants a mechanic to be a mechanic and a pilot to be a pilot.

if you become an A&P you will never build hours because you will be busy working on the ground and won't make enough money to ever pay for any hours.... sure you MIGHT get lucky and get a company that would let you get some time but that is 99% no, as a company wants a mechanic to be a mechanic and a pilot to be a pilot.

Our mechanic has a few thousand hours on many different helicopters, companies would offer him flight time as payment for maintenance as a way to save on expenses.

Another friend of mine works at a flight school and gets more hours helping in the shop doing test flights than from his students.

training for an A&P takes a helluva lot more time than a pilot.

it's 2000 hours in a structured enviorment (school)

or

18 months per catagory ie 18 months each for airframe and 18 months for powerplant in the field and it all must be documented and signed off.

plus the tests for general knowledge, airframe knowledge, & powerplant knowledge, and the practical tests for each area.

I went the school route myself back in the mid 80's and at that time it cost me $20k to complete.

There is a school in Washington State that says you can do it in as little as 15 months. All of the training and you walk out A&P certified. Most take about 18-21 months to complete. I completed general and was almost finished with powerplant after only 12 months but left during my 13th month to pursue a career as a helicopter pilot and went and trained in Idaho at Silverhawk. If I had stayed I would have completed the training in about 18 months. I plan on going back and finishing but being a pilot was/is more important to me. The school is Big Bend Community College in Moses Lake, WA. Contact Dan Moore or Erik Borg the course instructors. Good luck

Steve

I was a helicopter crewchief in the military...I got out, took a 2 week accelerated course, and got my A&P certificate. The course was a little over a grand of which the VA covered half. The oral and practical exam is a nice chunk of change though...mine was 650.

Quantum is a good choice. Did all my training there and had no complaints. Good facility, lots of ships, excellent maintenance, good people. Hired me after my CFI and got 800 hours my first year. Probably one of the safer choices if you're looking to get hired on after you get your ratings.