Pilot shortage?

I spent quite some time researching opportunities in India recently and I couldn't find anything for 200hr piston pilots. My opinion: now that this stupid "pilot shortage due to retiring Vietnam-pilots"-thing doesn't work out anymore they had to find something new to attract students. I think it's completely irresponsible to rob students blind in this fashion, but it's business and school owners are salesmen.

But anyway, if you want to take the challenge you have to convert your license first of all:

Click <-- Flow Chart for the conversion.

It's easier than JAA, but a word of warning:

You have to have within the last 6 month

1. as PIC-15Hrs,

2. PIC by Night - 5 Hrs (with atleast 10 take off & 10 landings)

3. General flying test by day with three solo take off and landings each

4. general flying test Night with three solo take off and landings each

5. 250 NM cross-country test by day with one full stop landing at other aerodrome

6. 120 NM X-country test by night (returning to point of dep. without landing)

Not that bad at first glance but the tests for pilots are only done 4 times a year. That means that if you screw up a test you have to wait 3 months or so to do it again. It might happen easily that you run out of currency for the required items listed above and have to redo it all over again.

The IR endorsment has to be done for each particular type of aircraft.

Edited by Hawkeye0001

For those of you who've recently gotten your rotary certificate and/or your CFI/CFII, I have another suggestion, which you may or may not like: Give the military a try.

There is an article within the forums about becoming an Army helicopter pilot. It's something to think about. During my 36.5 year military career, I spent over 27 years as a helicopter pilot and never had any regrets. If you've already got a license, the odds of you being selected for Flight School are way up there. Just don't let a recruiter talk you out of it; they will try. Anyway, upon completion of Army Flight School (10-12 months), you will have more practical time in different conditions (to include Night Vision Goggles) then most pure civilian pilots with3-5 years under their belt. Here's the thing: you are committed to the Army for six years after completing Flight School. In those three years, you can accumulate between 3,000-4,500 hours of flight time, goggle time, instruments and combat time. The world situation now allows military Army helicopter pilots to gain flight time faster than in the last 30 years. The practical experience is invaluable.

Those hours will make it so very much easier for you to get a job just about anywhere in the world. Admittedly, there is risk involved. However, the long-term benefits, in my humble opinion, are definitely worth it.

Just a suggestion. Give it thought. I'm more than happy to provide more insight if you desire. Whatever you decide, don't give up the dream!

:)

P.S.,

If you fly with Rudy do not get on his bad side or your training will not be without some annimosity between the two of you and that only makes training more difficult for you. If you have questions about anything PM me and I will answer them.

Steve

lol ive been fortunate enough to stay on Rudys good side, i took my commercial checkride with him a couple weeks ago....it was more of a joyride than a checkride. hes a pleasant fellow, like yzchopper said, dont do something stupid and piss him off. Cheers!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are many job postings coming up in Canada which is unusual for this time of year. Generally hiring is in the spring, but the oil and gas and mineral exploration is picking up again and the helicopter industry is rebounding. Particular shortage of 1 to 2 K pilots with 206 and AS350, longline, mountain time. If you can get a work visa that is. There will never be a shortage of newly minted commercial pilots but have even seen postings for low timer ground crew jobs.

The last 4 years it's been even harder to get started in Canada than the US. Consequently the flow of new pilots virtually stopped and now the industry is facing a shortage of experienced pilots.

• Like 1

I'm a little confused.

...There will never be a shortage of newly minted commercial pilots but have even seen postings for low timer ground crew jobs.

...the flow of new pilots virtually stopped and now the industry is facing a shortage of experienced pilots.

Even though the flow of new pilots has virtually stopped, there's no shortage of new pilots? Does this mean that Canada has plenty of low-timers trying to work their way up (from ground jobs I assume?), but not enough of those who have (and operators just can't wait)?

Should low-timers down here try up there, or is this just for the 1 to 2k guys?

:huh:

Yes Butters I think you got that right. The flight schools are still turning out brand new commercial pilots though not as many as before 08. There will always be way to many newbies. I guestimate 2 in 10 make it in the long run.

Very few low timers progressed in hours over the last 4 years so now there is a gap of "experienced" pilots in the 1 to 2 K range. I think it would be improbable to get a Canadian work visa with under 1K, but above that it might be doable with this season's demand. When the economy tanked there were many foreign pilots working in Canada especially Kiwi and Aussies but when jobs got scarse many were sent home.

Edited by Whistlerpilot

Get the 2012 Canadian Helicopter Operators Directory from Verticalmag and start working through the list. I know 7 operators (medium to large size) are hiring now and there will be double that in the spring.

IT IS SILVERHAWK!!! Big deal... students be warned for the millionth time.

Ironic- Silver State & Silver Hawk seem to have more than names in common- sounds like practices too. Of course they were practically in the same area competing at one point, sounds like not much competition left in their area to try to out practice/perform the other schools anymore.

I would encourage anyone to do their CFII, you need to stand out in the industry the way its going. But don't go paying 7,500 for a CFII, you can do most of the work on the ground and a few flights to be prepared. Get someone else getting their CFII and critique each other rather than pay the outrageous ground rates that the schools are reaping more than 50% on generally.

Here is a link to an ad with a very reputable company looking for pilots with 500 PIC. I spoke with the CP this job would be flying 206 in the gas patch N AB about 50 to 60 K year round. Good entry level job.

http://www.verticalmag.com/pagers/yellowhead/