Ch 33 Heli Schools

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to touch base with the Heli community and see if anyone is tracking on the schools that are using the newest Ch 33 benefits. I already know about Hillsboro, Guidance, SLC, Northeast and Leading Edge. If anyone knows any other schools that are offering AAS degrees so that Veterans can get all of their flight training for free, please let me know! Thanks for your time!

For anyone not tracking on this, the newest G.I Bill called the Post 911 G.I Bill or Ch. 33, is available for veterans and depending on your time in service and what not, it will pay up to 100% of all of your flight training including your Private PL. The catch is that you have to attend the college associated with the flight school to obtain an Associates Degree while flying through your ratings.

Ok, thanks again for all of your help. Stay safe,

EOD HELI

EOD Heli, I am in the same boat right now. I am Looking to take up flight lessons in Oregon, and have run into the same issue of trying to find a flight school that I like, that is also associated with a College. After talking with a certain individual, I found out that one of the students at Precision, although a former Army reservist, managed to somehow get approved for the Ch. 33 benefits to use with Portland Community College. That is interesting because Precision Aviation isn't associated with Portland Community College yet. Apparently it was a bit of a battle to get approved, but somehow managed to pull it off with Veterans Affairs. There are certain details about getting approved that I will not discuss here, however, should you desire the need to want to know, feel free to send me a message.

I plan on fighting the same battle with Veterans Affairs, as I too look to attend Precision Aviation and Portland Community College, and hopefully Embry Riddle in a couple of years. Best of luck choosing a school and getting things worked out!

I have spoken with Upper Limit Aviation in Salt Lake City, they are affilliated with Salt Lake Community College. So far they are the only school I have found that have an external load and mountain course that are FAA and VA approved.

I also spoke with Embry Riddle's Prescott, AZ campus. They are affiliated with Univeral Helicopters. They have the basic helicopter courses available...Comm thru CFII, nothing more advanced.

The chapter 33 GI Bill is a HUGE deal. Too bad I already foot the bill for all my ratings. I will use it for some advanced training though!

Good Luck

I just got word of ERAU being approved for Ch33 benefits covering flight training and college credits. They also offer the yellow ribbon program. Universal Helicopters is now their flight provider and apparently you can train in both robbies and schwietzer for a more well rounded training experience. I don't have all the details, but it sounds like if you have all 36 months remaining for your benefits, then you can get a 4 year degree covered. Check out their Prescott website or give them a call for details. Sounds like a helluva deal! :o

Hey EOD HELI, welcome to Vertical Reference. Central Oregon Community College I believe was the first Ch.33 approved helicopter training program. I am currently a student here and flying with Leading Edge Aviation. There are also a few other Vertical Reference members in this program. I think all of us have only good things to say so far about this program. The flight school is starting to become more crowded as each semester brings in new students though. So far Leading Edge Aviation has already moved to a nicer and larger facility as well as brought in additional helicopters to help meet the demand. The school is also part of an ongoing project to try and create a certified heliport, which if approved would really make the airport that much better to fly out of. Additionally, it sounds like they are pushing for approval of the following courses: mountain flying course, external load training, turbine transition, and a new night vision device training course.

I decided to do some searching on here and the web to compile the following list of schools that are Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill approved and have a helicopter training program.

Aims Community College

*NEW* Big Bend Community College
Bridgewater State College
Central Oregon Community College
College of the Sequoias
The Community College of Baltimore County
Dodge City Community College
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (Prescott Campus)
Florida Institute of Technology
Hibbing Community College
Kansas State University
Liberty University
Metropolitan State College of Denver
Middle-Georgia College
Naugatuck Valley Community College
Palm Beach Community College
Portland Community College
Salt Lake City Community College
University of North Dakota
Wallace State Community College
Westfield State College
Yavapei College

I haven’t personally contacted all these schools, but did visit a few of them before choosing COCC. This includes four year and two year programs. Hopefully we can just update this list as necessary to keep track of all the Ch.33 programs out there.

I am also looking into Embry-Riddle (Prescott) since their announcement last week. With the Yellow Ribbon Program the tuition and flight fees are covered 100%.

So what branch are you with EOD HELI? I grew up a few miles from EOD school and have a couple friends who are techs.

Edited by rjl2001

rjl2001,

I am a 6 year AF EOD tech that has been deployed 5 times and I just can't do it anyone. I'm actually in Iraq right now finishing up a tour. I love the job and love the community but my wife is going to go crazy seeing as how we have been married 3 years and I have only been home for less than a year of it.

I originally wanted to go to Hillsboro but keep hearing great things about LE. Seeing as how you are a flying there, you recommend flying with LE as well as COCC? I am thinking about going to LE because I hear it is smaller and more personal than Hillsboro. Would you say that LE is getting too crowded? I don't want to have to fight for flight slots, I'm sure everywhere is like this but I'm just asking.

So where are you in your training?

I plan to attend some sort of Pro Pilot Track and make a career out of this. The new Ch 33 benefits are too good to pass up. I really didn't want to go back to school but free flight training can't be thrown to the side.

Thanks for the input and help. I hope this post helps out other veterans looking to become pilots.

Thanks again,

EOD HELI

Well I moved to Bend this past SEP. and am in my second term at COCC. An arm injury put me behind in flying, so I haven’t completed private yet. Most everyone I started the program with is on their commercial this term. My experiences have been great so far both with COCC and Leading Edge Aviation. Everyone I’ve dealt with is helpful and friendly. The atmosphere at LEA is pretty laid back and personal, plus it seems like everyone gets along real well. All the CFI’s are professional and it seems most have over 1000hrs. with some commercial work experience.

I wouldn’t say LEA is too crowded… yet. Besides it’s hard to complain when they are doing as much as they are to help accommodate everyone. You just have to keep up with the schedule and book a little further ahead. It might just be me anyways, as I haven’t heard anyone else being concerned about it.

As far as Hillsboro goes I can’t make a direct comparison as I haven’t visited there. Originally that’s where I was going to go, then made a last second decision when I found out about LEA. I know they are a much larger school with a big fixed wing side also and have heard it is pretty crowded over there. Before I moved here I met a boat pix pilot who had just graduated Hillsboro. He didn’t say too many bad things about it, but did mention he had visited LEA and said he would recommend going there. Before I found about Ch. 33 I wasn’t at all interested in college either. Now I’m kind of glad it forces me to take classes at the same time and not be lazy. It might be a little slower to get all your ratings this way but I think the degree will help down the road for what I want to do.

Well good luck finishing up your tour. I visited a friend who was stationed at Seymour Johnson a while back. He showed me around the shop with all their expensive toys and I couldn’t believe they had their own mini tiki-bar set up. Must be an AF thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I called the VA today and they said that the Chapter 33 benefits does not cover flight schools. So your saying if i enroll in college along with going to flight school I can use the G.I. Bill money towards my training?

I got my degree from Cal St Long Beach and exhausted all of my original G.I. Bill benefits.. but with the Post 9/11 GI Bill, does that by any chance offer me any additional assistance? This has been a big question of mine. I also live in Portland and desperately need to change careers

I called the VA today and they said that the Chapter 33 benefits does not cover flight schools. So your saying if i enroll in college along with going to flight school I can use the G.I. Bill money towards my training?

I got my degree from Cal St Long Beach and exhausted all of my original G.I. Bill benefits.. but with the Post 9/11 GI Bill, does that by any chance offer me any additional assistance? This has been a big question of mine. I also live in Portland and desperately need to change careers

if you served after 9-11 you can still use ch33 benefits for 12 additional months after mgib is used up. you should talk to the va

• 2 weeks later...

The list above includes all the programs that I know of. I found out about most of those programs online using the google skills. There isn't really any one source I have found that lists them all together. On the VA website there is a page that allows you to search for all the Institutions of Higher Learning by state. After you click on a school, if you click on programs it will bring up all the VA approved degree programs, so look for Aviation, Professional Pilot, Helicopter, or something of that nature. Click here for link to VA page

I visited Precision Helicopters in Newburg, OR last week and was told that they are looking into a couple colleges to affiliate with so they can use Ch.33. Seems like a really nice place up there, maybe a bit secluded, but I did like the Schweizer 300C a lot better than the R22.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to update this thread with a new school offering helicopter training under Ch.33 MGIB. Florida Institute of Technology is working with Bristow Academy(Titusville) to offer a 4 year degree along with PVT-CFI, plus turbine transition and external load. Looks like another good program, plus Bristow is probably one of the largest helicopter schools in the country.

Program Flyer

• 4 months later...

Hey all,

Currently active duty Air Force...I am looking for anyone who is using/has used the post 911 gi bill to pay for helicopter flight training/ college. I have read about the chapter 33 feature of the bill and basically it sounds good...too good to be true really. I am interested in hearing personal testimonies... a pro and cons type thing. Any help from anyone would be great!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Currently active duty Air Force...I am looking for anyone who is using/has used the post 911 gi bill to pay for helicopter flight training/ college. I have read about the chapter 33 feature of the bill and basically it sounds good...too good to be true really. I am interested in hearing personal testimonies... a pro and cons type thing. Any help from anyone would be great!

I do not know anyone YET, because this is still pretty new with the university/part 141 flight training thing. I would love to hear from anyone as well. i have another year before i go to "A" school (AIT), for aviation mechanics, after which i have to serve another 3 years obligated service. during that time im going to get my A+P license through a program the coast guard offers its enlisted mbrs. i guess by the time i get out there will be some stories of experiences from veterans.

personally i pretty much have my sights set on embry riddle prescott for the rotary wing program. i am gonna research UND and FIT as well. please share any experiences. these benefits are literally almost too good to be true............

• 2 months later...

I have had several conversations recently regarding available options for flight training financing. The scenarios involved private financing, College Degree related flight training, and including VA benefits such as Montgomery and post 9/11 benefits.

Here is a great resource from AOPA. This is the 2011 Flight Training College Aviation Directory:

http://flighttraining.aopa.org/magazine/2010/December/coldir.html

This directory lists all of the Schools State-by-State, the Degree areas offered, whether they have online courses available (distance learning), and if they are VA approved.

Good luck!

I have seen a few threads pretty much the same as this one. Maybe it should be in the articles section so it is easier to update and track these schools. I know there are 4 of them here in Utah and 2 others that are waiting for their FAA/VA aproval for 141.

The 3 I didn't see mentioned that currently have 141 in Utah is:

Utah Heli, Through UVU

Cloud 9, They have 141 but are curently trying to get on board with local schools as their program curently is with Palm Beach University..I think. Their main school is in Florida

Universal

Also Mauna Loa in Hawaii is covered

Keep us updated, I am looking into using my ch33 for this also.

Yes, I agree it would probably be helpful for this thread to be "pinned" at the top of the forum. That would help eliminate redundant posts and make it easier to keep the school list up to date.

Gary-mike, just wanted to make sure you understand the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill (Ch.33). For Ch.33 the program has to be given through an Institution of Higher Learning (aka college or university). A flight school must provide FAR part 141 training in order to apply for and receive VA approval. VA approved flight schools allow the use of the Montgomery G.I. Bill (Ch.30) benefits. But only those VA approved flight schools that partner with a college, or are run by a college, are able to become part of a Ch.33 program.

That AOPA college flight training guide is great, just wish they would note whether it's an airplane or helicopter program.

• 4 months later...

I have seen a few threads pretty much the same as this one. Maybe it should be in the articles section so it is easier to update and track these schools. I know there are 4 of them here in Utah and 2 others that are waiting for their FAA/VA aproval for 141.

The 3 I didn't see mentioned that currently have 141 in Utah is:

Utah Heli, Through UVU

Cloud 9, They have 141 but are curently trying to get on board with local schools as their program curently is with Palm Beach University..I think. Their main school is in Florida

Universal

Also Mauna Loa in Hawaii is covered

Keep us updated, I am looking into using my ch33 for this also.

Update. Upon questioning these schools directly I found, they may be part 141 and VA aproved, and you may also aply your flight time to a degree through UVU but that doesn't mean you can use Ch33 with them. Last word I recieved from UVU was "We will accept flight time from any 141 school you choose, for credit towards a pro pilot degree. We do not affiliate ourselves with any 1 flight school". In short, the IHL must be affilliated with the flight school, and payments will be made to the flight school through the IHL in the form of Lab fees. The VA will not pay the flight school directly under Ch33 benefits.

That being said, it is a pain to find a school that fits all the criteria. Especially if you are still active duty and held captive to one area.

Now maybe we need to start a new thread that highlights the "loop holes" So we can start flying. I feel I should have at least 6 credit hrs towards GI bill decifering by now. Too bad you have to have a PHD on the subject before you can use the benefit.

Sorry about the negativity, this is a great benefit, it has just been and still is a very frustrating experience.

If I were to get out tomorrow I would head straight to Arizona or Oregon where they have it all figured out.

There is a school here in Colorado (Denver metro) that I am interested in going to. I am planning on going to Aims this fall if nothing pans out this way. The school I really want is trying to get approved for Post 9/11, and say they should know around June. The way they explained it to me is that the VA will be loosening up the restriction of being affiliated with a degree program, and will be funding a wider variety of flight schools. I hope this is true! Has anyone else heard anything similar?

Hey everyone. There is a school in the Denver metro area that I want to go to, but right now are not approved for Post 9/11 because they are not affiliated with a college degree program. I am enrolled in Aims for this fall. The owner of the school that I want to go to says that they are on the brink of getting approval for VA funding, and should know by around June. They are saying that the VA is going to be loosening up the restriction of being associated with a degree program, opening up a wider variety of schools available. I'm not sure if I fully trust this idea, so I have enrolled in Aims just to make sure I have a seat this fall.

Has anyone else heard anything about the possibility of this happening? I really hope this happens, but not willing to trust it just yet. If it turns out to be true, I will make sure to let everyone know, as well as add the school to this list.

Happy Easter Everybody..

Hello Whiteshadow, welcome to the forums..

I am not sure what flight school you are speaking of in Denver, but we have heard that there will be some changes this year. The 'loosening up' you are speaking of we have been told might happen later on in the year, and if it goes the way we've heard, some Chapter 33 benefits COULD be available to all selected flight schools, even part 61 operations (sorry to be so vague, but that’s how I personally got the info directly from the VA). We've also heard that the amount of $$ will be more controlled due in part to some schools charging way too much and not handling the $$ very well (which is a shame). We sincerely hope that the $$ will be there for everyone that deserves it instead of the few that take everything that they can get.

We are approved for Chapter 31 VA benefits, which is Voc Rehab and is a really great program. It is true that you have to pay for your private up front, but i sincerely believe that is a good thing because it shows commitment and drive and culls out some that would just use the system.

Someone said it depends on the counselor and that is an understatement, you must find someone that realizes the value of the training and will help you succeed.. one of the challenges there is that the $$ are more than most Voc Rehab training so the counselors balk, and understandably so. You just have to find someone that realizes how good of a career path it can be. THAT being said, some schools are flying pilots in training in ships that won’t help get them hired (turbines and only one platform) which I fear will catch up to us really quickly. (For every three Vets that go thru a program with a turbine, one more could be trained if they used a piston ship that would give the pilots other options at flight schools (most likely their first job after CFII). Imagine 30 vets going thru a program and only one or two of them getting hired after they get their CFIIs… it won’t take long until even those counselors will feel like it’s NOT a good career path. Also keep in mind, that conscientious counselors hopefully will ONLY put folks into the program that can make it thru.. I know this for sure in the Voc Rehab program, not sure about chapter 33, but, some of the negative stuff you hear MIGHT be from the ones that were not selected or supported. Just saying.

DO NOT BELIVE IT IF A SCHOOL TELLS YOU THEY WILL PAY FOR YOUR PRIVATE AND TAKE IT OUT OF THE REST OF YOUR TRAINING, it’s probably illegal on some level and a school we know did that and lost their VA privileges, AND then went after the vets for the $$. Be very careful and do your research. If the VA says that a particular school is not supported there is a reason. That being said, if the one that you are looking into isn't supported, ask if others are, or find another school close to you and see if they can get approved.. as was in our case, they might just be looking for better options.

I believe these are awesome programs, and TOTALLY deserving, I just hope it’s handled well and lives on.. for the folks that truly deserve it.

We are two years old in June, and thus will be qualified for our 141 (can you believe it’s been two years already), the bad news there is we have to wait for the FSDO to get to it and they are backed up and very busy so we are keeping our fingers crossed. We are also talking to a couple of folks about buying their 141 which would make things go a little faster for us. So, if you know a school that is considering selling please let them know we are looking.

Respectfully,

dp

• Like 2

dp,

Thanks for the welcome and the great detailed response. I agree with everything you have said. I am keeping this school on my radar, but also at arms length so I don't get burned in the end. I have waited this long, I suppose I can wait until August when Aims starts up again. I don't want to put the name of the school on here, just in case I have some bad information. ONce something gets validated (or not), I will put the info out. Thanks again!

Kinda skim read most of what people said because I am a bit short on time. But when it comes to the VA, chapter 30, 31 and 33 I have made myself somewhat of an expert over the last year or so on the different possibilities of the GI bill. I have also been closely following SB-3447 that passed last January and am following the changes that ERAU has been lobbying for. I am currently using my own benefits right now at a flight school in Arizona (Guidance Heli).

As someone stated above, Chapter 33, is changing a good bit this August. A lot of it is actually good changes, even though some people may not view it that way. The changes made to the BAH is fair, but it does suck. State cap changes are great and the break pay change is no big deal. The big thing, and very nice thing, is the $10,000 per year for flight training, there are some big things you can do with 10k once you already have your ratings via chapter 33 (which pays for 100% of training at the right school, including private) or chapter 31 (does not pay for private, pays for ratings after that, pays for books, headset, laptop etc but is a huge pain to work with) and chapter 30 which pays for 60% of all your ratings after private.

I can give you an in depth information concerning the VA and the various education benefits they offer if you like. PM me on here and if you want you can give me a call and I can fill you in everything.

CaptainDune

Thanks for the response, and the offer to give more info. I think I have a really good understanding of the big picture with the Post 9/11, and I know what school, which route, etc. for me. I am not aware, however, of any changes you mentioned though, and neither is the school (Aims). It seems to me that they may be thinking under last years rules, which may or may not be a problem. Specifically, can you tell us what the changes are to BAH that you are talking about? Also, not sure what you mean about the 10k per year for flight training.

Thanks for any more info you can give to all of us that may have the same questions. The Chief Pilot at Front Range did say that he expects a few more Vet students this year so I know there are more that could use this insight going to Aims CC alone.