Ch 33 Heli Schools

There have been changes made to the VA Ch.33 Post 9/11 GI Bill, as CaptianDune mentioned. The bill was S. 3447 Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Improvements Act of 2010 and became Public Law No: 111-377. There are a handful of changes included, most of which go into effect on 01 AUG 2011. Most of the significant changes are summarized on the VA website here: current VA website information .

Some of the intended purposes of the act were to include some new groups for eligibility, simplify the old system of tuition and fees for each state, cover certain non-college training programs, and allow BAH for students taking online courses. However, many veterans dislike the act because it will put an end to break pay (paying BAH during that time between end/start of semesters) and only pay partial BAH when enrolled less than full time. Also, it lessens the benefits provided for students attending private or non-public universities. This part affected me directly, and means I will not be able to use benefits for my CFI/CFII certificates. My only hope would be if H.R. 1383: Restoring GI Bill Fairness Act of 2011 was passed into law very soon, but this looks unlikely.

One aspect addressed with covering non-college training programs is the inclusion of flight training. This would allow benefits to be used for flight training at flight schools, completely separate from any college or degree programs. It’s still unclear to me but sounds like this would include any FAA certificated flight school. The limitation with this though is the maximum amount covered is not to exceed $10,000 per academic year. This provision would go into effect on 01 OCT 2011. I was told that there is talk about raising the $10,000/yr limit on this part, but just rumors as of now.

Hopefully this gives you a better understanding on some of the new "improvements". I know it is frustrating trying to keep up with all the changes and details.

rj, yes it is frustrating. I try not to complain though because we are still given a great opportunity here compared to a non-vet. I am going to fully take advantage of this and be thankful the whole way through. Thanks for sharing your info with us, I hope the changes don't hurt you too bad brother! My program should still be pretty simple compared to yours. Staying at one school form zero hours to CFII, nothing online, everyone seems to be well informed for the GI Bill.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

One aspect addressed with covering non-college training programs is the inclusion of flight training. This would allow benefits to be used for flight training at flight schools, completely separate from any college or degree programs. It’s still unclear to me but sounds like this would include any FAA certificated flight school. The limitation with this though is the maximum amount covered is not to exceed $10,000 per academic year. This provision would go into effect on 01 OCT 2011. I was told that there is talk about raising the $10,000/yr limit on this part, but just rumors as of now.

Thanks for your input rjl,

i was also told that, when the time came for input, that they would be contacting us about the $10k per year limit, i got the impression that we might all be able to influence a change in that area. Our contact was very frustrated with that issue and wondered where they got that number (as many of us are). So, we are waiting for that opportunity to voice our opinion and hope the powers that be actually care..

dp

• Like 1

As someone stated above, Chapter 33, is changing a good bit this August. The big thing, and very nice thing, is the $10,000 per year for flight training, there are some big things you can do with 10k once you already have your ratings via chapter 33 (which pays for 100% of training at the right school, including private) or chapter 31 (does not pay for private, pays for ratings after that, pays for books, headset, laptop etc but is a huge pain to work with) and chapter 30 which pays for 60% of all your ratings after private.

I can give you an in depth information concerning the VA and the various education benefits they offer if you like. PM me on here and if you want you can give me a call and I can fill you in everything.

Something about that just don't sound right. Are you saying the VA is paying for your ratings twice? The way I understood it is you go through an IHL and get 100% or after Oct. you can choose about any flight school (without having to be enrolled in a degree program) and recieve $10,000 a year. In other words, I thought it was meant to be 1 or the other. If that is the case, the $10k a year is about the same as the chapter 30.

My problems with the $10k a year is; you would have to spread your training out over 4 years (how long your GI bill covers), the simple math equalls $40k wich leaves you with $30k (give or take) out of pocket. If they do up the limit it would be my first choice though.

Ch33 is a great option for some however, I have found it is a real pain to find a school that fits the bill. Or anyone including a VA representative that knows how to make it work. I am trying to start training while still on active duty, so I am limited by my location (Hill AFB Ut). Any suggestions on the best route for my situation?

Keep the info flowing, you can never get enough when trying to deal with the VA.

Something about that just don't sound right. Are you saying the VA is paying for your ratings twice? The way I understood it is you go through an IHL and get 100% or after Oct. you can choose about any flight school (without having to be enrolled in a degree program) and recieve $10,000 a year. In other words, I thought it was meant to be 1 or the other. If that is the case, the $10k a year is about the same as the chapter 30.

My problems with the $10k a year is; you would have to spread your training out over 4 years (how long your GI bill covers), the simple math equalls $40k wich leaves you with $30k (give or take) out of pocket. If they do up the limit it would be my first choice though.

Ch33 is a great option for some however, I have found it is a real pain to find a school that fits the bill. Or anyone including a VA representative that knows how to make it work. I am trying to start training while still on active duty, so I am limited by my location (Hill AFB Ut). Any suggestions on the best route for my situation?

Keep the info flowing, you can never get enough when trying to deal with the VA.

Some people aren't realizing the huge benefit that 10k per year is. That is a huge change when it comes to training in helos. The great thing about that is you can burn all your benefits on a two year program that gets you PPL ---> CFI-I. Once that is over, you still have your remaining benefits from chapter 33. With this new 10k to a flight school thing, flight schools can write up a program such as NVG, long-line, turbine, mountain etc. They can write the program to be as little as two weeks long if they choose, and as long as the VA approves the program, you can burn 10k in benefits and only use two weeks of your GI bill. This is huge for people who already have their ratings. The 10k per year limit is just saying that you can only spend 10k in that fiscal year directly to a flight school, its not saying that 12 months of benefits equals 10k.

As for your situation. Don't. Just get out then start your training at the school you want, not the one thats closest to you at the moment. Not to mention as of right now there are only 7 helicopter schools that accept the post 9/11 right now and only one of them in utah, which I believe would be a good drive for you if im not mistaken. Not to mention their crash record (off-topic, sorry).

The VA can be a real pain in the ass, good example is the certification of classes this summer that run past August 1st. What a shitstorm that has been trying to make sure everyone gets paid on time over the summer. Make sure when you choose a school they have been dealing with the VA long enough to help you, some schools who are just getting into it are going to be blindsided with how terrible the VA can be. A big change that SB3447 put into effect is the abolishment of state caps, over the next year you will see a HUGE increase in flight schools accepting the Post 9/11 GI Bill. The problem will be the new ones who don't have the experience dealing with the VA, and at times providing flight training without any real payments from the VA for extended periods of time.

• Like 2

Good information Dune, thanks for your insight...

also;

The problem will be the new ones who don't have the experience dealing with the VA, and at times providing flight training without any real payments from the VA for extended periods of time.

We were told that too, that the VA was painfully slow to pay, but we have had NO problem what-so-ever with them paying every time in less than three weeks.

dp

Thanks Dune,

You are correct, the school in my area that can use Ch33 is a bit of a drive for me. I am not impressed by thier accident record either. As a matter of fact they just crashed another one a few weeks ago. The article said it was not the first time that they crashed that particular ship either.

I have looked into other schools in the area and for the last year now they have all been "real close" to getting set up for ch33 students. Guess I may have to bite the bullet and go with ch30 for a year or so until A school around here can figure it out.

• 5 months later...

Is anyone training at Palm Beach Community College, which is now Palm Beach State College?

I will be starting there in January. Just need to apply and take a placement test, once I figure out if I want to go AS or AAS. I don't think I'll be pursuing a 4-year degree since I don't have enough benefits and have no clue what kind of job I'll have coming out of the 2-year course. Mainly in it for the flying, and I'd like to use whatever benefits I have left to build time if that's possible.

Forgot to mention, Post 9/11 like everyone else :)

Edit - The EOD Heli just caught my eye. Michael? (If you even still read this thread)

Hello,

I just wanted to write a quick one about how Palm Beach Helicopters and Palm Beach State College helped me acheive my dream.

I finished up my 6 year enlistment in the Air Force in March of 2010. I wanted to become a helicopter pilot and I decided to rely on Palm Beach Helicopters to make it happen. I am an OIF/OEF Veteran with the Post 911 GI Bill benefits. Through this program I was able to get my PPL through CFII in a little over a year and graduate from the associated college, Palm Beach State College, in 18 months with an Associates in Aeronautical Science.....FOR FREE. Technically speaking it wasn't free because the Post 911 benefits covered the expenses but as far as my wallet knows, it was free!

If there are any Veterans, or civilians, that need information about becoming a helicopter pilot and not sure how to afford the expenses please write me back!

I know so many friends that were worried about getting out the Armed Forces because of the economy and whatnot. I am here to tell you, YOU CAN DO IT!

As for an update to the courses availible this semester, the Post 911 GI Bill is now covering NVG, Turbine Transition and External Load. All of these courses are now being taught at Palm Beach Helicopters and I will be sure to update you about these courses as soon as I take them next month!

I hope this serves as a light in the darkness for anyone looking for a professional school to obtain their helicotper licenses. You're not alone and I will help you out as much as possible.

Good luck and thanks for reading!

Also, let me know if you have any specific questions about the PBSC program!

• Like 1

Leave the option to move completely open. Chances are you won't find the right school in your area that fits your needs. Unless for some reason you absolutely can't move from your location due to family, job, etc. Especially the Post 9/11 Veterans. Very few "good" schools are running with the 9/11 Bill right now, and the only way to get to them is to move your butt to a few states in another direction. Start making sacrifices; If you want the dream bad enough, you'll make them.

Leave the option to move completely open. Chances are you won't find the right school in your area that fits your needs. Unless for some reason you absolutely can't move from your location due to family, job, etc. Especially the Post 9/11 Veterans. Very few "good" schools are running with the 9/11 Bill right now, and the only way to get to them is to move your butt to a few states in another direction. Start making sacrifices; If you want the dream bad enough, you'll make them.

I understand, I can not pick up and move right now though. I am still active duty and can not afford to go AWOL. I know the smart thing to do is wait until I am closer to retirement and work on class room courses until then. I keep struggling with myself about it though, I am a little impatient, and want to fly now. So I guess I am already making sacrifices so that my chances are hopefully better of making my dream a reality and not just a $70,000 joyride.

Just wanted to update this thread with a new school offering helicopter training under Ch.33 MGIB. Florida Institute of Technology is working with Bristow Academy(Titusville) to offer a 4 year degree along with PVT-CFI, plus turbine transition and external load. Looks like another good program, plus Bristow is probably one of the largest helicopter schools in the country.

Program Flyer

Bristow IS the largest civilian school in the world actually ( according to Bristow ) and close to surpassing Mother Rucker in size.

Hey guys,

I was looking into moving to the PNW and transitioning to helos. I was looking to use my GI Bill to do it thru an associated school.

The one's I've heard the most about are Portland Community College (Hillsboro) and Central Oregon CC (Leading Edge Aviation).

I was wondering if anyone out there had a recent opinion on one or both schools, or if anyone knew of some decent schools in Washington state to check out.

Thanks for your time!

I haven't heard the greatest things about Hillsboro. I've meet a few of their former students (two of which ended up flying with Precision Aviation in Newberg, OR, and two who came down here to Leading Edge Aviation in Bend, OR) and not one of them had good things to say about the school. I won't go into details because we all know how things get out of hand like that here. I also have not been impressed with all of the aircraft accidents their aircraft have been involved in over the last 2-3 years.

I'll send you a couple points of contact, Death2Daleks. One is the aviation program manager here at Central Oregon Community College, and the other is the flight school administrator for Leading Edge Aviation. The program manager is a retired Air Force A-10 / KC-135 pilot. Great guy. Older fella, but loves talking aviation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Is anyone training at Palm Beach Community College, which is now Palm Beach State College?

I will be starting there in January. Just need to apply and take a placement test, once I figure out if I want to go AS or AAS. I don't think I'll be pursuing a 4-year degree since I don't have enough benefits and have no clue what kind of job I'll have coming out of the 2-year course. Mainly in it for the flying, and I'd like to use whatever benefits I have left to build time if that's possible.

Forgot to mention, Post 9/11 like everyone else smile.gif

Edit - The EOD Heli just caught my eye. Michael? (If you even still read this thread)

It's been awhile but I'm back on, ........Yep, this is Michael

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just to recap this conversation as it relates to Chapter 33 Heli Schools:

Through its partnership with Yavapai College (VA Chapter 33 Benefits approved), you can acquire your Associate of Applied Science Degree (AAS), Professional Pilot, Helicopters while flight training at Guidance Aviation of Prescott, Arizona. Prescott is a great place to training because it is in a high altitude environment and the weather is perfect with four seasons providing you a number of weather scenarios to learn in. Guidance is a FAA approved, Part 141 high altitude helicopter flight training facility.

For more info, check out: www.guidance.aero and ASK TO TALK TO BOTH STUDENTS AND INSTRUCTORS!

• 3 months later...

One thing to consider is if you are less than 100% on ch 33 benefits, it might be cheaper to just get your ratings and skip the degree. One of the schools I looked at had a projected cost of 153,000 total cost. I thought that was a little steep. What happens is you are still paying normal price for flight time, but you are also paying 675 a credit hour (5) for this particular class on the college side. So it is still a good deal if you are 80-100%, but anything less and it would be better just to get ratings probably. Just something to consider.