RC helis

csw1000

I have a few r/c helis (blade cx, T-rex 450, Walkera #56) and a new one on the way (cb180q). I was wondering if anyone else here flies r/c? Now that I have some time in the real ones I can say that they both seem fairly intense. I think , so far, I am better at the real ones because your orientation doesn't change. With r/c, nose in and sideways really gets me confused. Of course, while expensive, a crash with an r/c won't kill me, big plus.

I have a few that I fly. A Raptor 50 in a TT MD530 Scale fuselage, Hirobo Shuttle Plus 30 in an Bell 222 Airwolf Scale fuselage with retracts, and a Trex 450 electric. Well I had a Trex 450. I sold the Trex a few months back.

IMHO r/c helicopters are actually alittle more dangerous than the full scale because you are not sitting in the helicopter, so when parts fly off or break your chances of being injured or killed is a lot higher. I have seen a few injuries due to blades breaking.

Steve

DSC07458.jpg

Steve_s_Airwolf.jpg

I have a few that I fly. A Raptor 50 in a TT MD530 Scale fuselage, Hirobo Shuttle Plus 30 in an Bell 222 Airwolf Scale fuselage with retracts, and a Trex 450 electric. Well I had a Trex 450. I sold the Trex a few months back.

IMHO r/c helicopters are actually alittle more dangerous than the full scale because you are not sitting in the helicopter, so when parts fly off or break your chances of being injured or killed is a lot higher. I have seen a few injuries due to blades breaking.

Steve

Yeah, I got my hand in my T-Rex rotor at full throttle once, broke a blade and nearly broke my hand. Lesson learned, quickly.

Just got a Trex 500 a couple months ago. So much better than the 450. You gotta get one. I love it!

What do you love in particular? I've heard larger heli's are more stable and easier to fly and, obviously, to see. What do you think?

Yeah, I got my hand in my T-Rex rotor at full throttle once, broke a blade and nearly broke my hand. Lesson learned, quickly.

What do you love in particular? I've heard larger heli's are more stable and easier to fly and, obviously, to see. What do you think?

Compared to the 450 its so much easier to see . That also helped me to become more comfortable doing 3D tricks with it. Wind doesnt bother it as much either. More wow factor when people watch :D .

I fly R/C Helicopters too. Enjoy them so much I took it one step further and scratch built three giant 1/4 scale (about 10.5ft long) Bell helicopters.

Here's my Bell 206B JetRanger

superscalehelis_206B.jpg

The Bell 206L LongRanger.

206Lx2-small-2.jpg

And my Bell 407

SuperScaleHelis_407.jpg

I even went as far as to scratch built all the interior parts. They'll have full interiors because the mechanics will be installed similar to the full size, up on top of the cabin.

collective-final.jpg

antitorque-final.jpg

cyclicstickassembly.jpg

I should have them flying very soon with custom mechanics.

George

Edited by Rotor George

George, are you running turbine engines, if so what make and model.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have someone designing the mechanics in both electric and turbine. The turbine version will use a Jakadofsky, it'll only fit inside the 206L and 407 however.

I'm only interested in flying an e-version so I can hear the blades instead of the engine. ;)

George

Hi Steve,

I have someone designing the mechanics in both electric and turbine. The turbine version will use a Jakadofsky, it'll only fit inside the 206L and 407 however.

I'm only interested in flying an e-version so I can hear the blades instead of the engine. ;)

George

I hear ya there as the turbines are cool and all but expensive and loud and Jet A is not too cheap either but than again neither is this hobby. I wanna hear the sound of the blades too. Have you thought about the Wren turbine? I'm not much into the turbines so I do not know anything about the differences other than on is more expensive than the other. Also what is the hr requirement before you have to overhaul the hot section. Last I heard you spend like $600.00 every 25hrs for this to be done. What have you heard?

Steve

I hear ya there as the turbines are cool and all but expensive and loud and Jet A is not too cheap either but than again neither is this hobby. I wanna hear the sound of the blades too. Have you thought about the Wren turbine? I'm not much into the turbines so I do not know anything about the differences other than on is more expensive than the other. Also what is the hr requirement before you have to overhaul the hot section. Last I heard you spend like $600.00 every 25hrs for this to be done. What have you heard?

Steve

I looked into most of them at one time or other. They all have their pros and cons.

25hrs is correct for TBO on some, while others can go 50 plus. I'm not sure on the cost but $600 would be about right not to mention shipping it back overseas to the factory.

I'll stick with a $300 electric motor with no maintenance schedule. Using a clutch, the spool up on an electric even sounds like a turbine spooling up.

Here a great example.......

George

Rotor George, in a word "Amazing". How did you build that from scratch? Was it from some kind of kit or did you build it all on your own? I feel pretty good if I can buy a kit and put a good paint job on it. Your work is something to aspire to, thats for sure. I would love to see the finished product. Please PM me or keep up the post. I would really like to see it fly.

Rotor George, in a word "Amazing". How did you build that from scratch? Was it from some kind of kit or did you build it all on your own? I feel pretty good if I can buy a kit and put a good paint job on it. Your work is something to aspire to, thats for sure. I would love to see the finished product. Please PM me or keep up the post. I would really like to see it fly.

Every single item is scratch built starting out with cardboard and some foam. I made all my molds and lay up each fuselage by hand.

Almost two years later you end up with the finished model. :D

x3.jpg

longranger80shape.jpg

George

Every single item is scratch built starting out with cardboard and some foam. I made all my molds and lay up each fuselage by hand.

Almost two years later you end up with the finished model. :D

x3.jpg

longranger80shape.jpg

George

Very nice and some real dedication there.

Steve