Helicopter Company For Sale

RotorWeed

Boy that guy just can't keep away from trouble. I forget his name but he owns the rights to the mini (I think he was the inventor as well) but has a long line of legal trouble and business deals gone bad. Too bad becuase the mini could have been a great ship if not for all the trouble with the different companies.

I forget his name but he owns the rights to the mini (I think he was the inventor as well)

I believe the name you are searching for is Mr. Dennis Fetters.

I've never seen the 2 seater before, did that one ever go to kit form?

Edited by Goldy

Boy that guy just can't keep away from trouble. I forget his name but he owns the rights to the mini (I think he was the inventor as well) but has a long line of legal trouble and business deals gone bad. Too bad becuase the mini could have been a great ship if not for all the trouble with the different companies.

It was more like the mechanical failures that led to 6 or 7 fatal accidents out of the 100 kits completed that caused the demise of that helicopter.

Fetters took a bunch of downpayments and orders on the two-seater (Voyager), then split with the money. He changed his name to Mohamed Al Faris, and married some sheik's daughter, if I remember correctly.

It was like he was Jerry A's mentor. haha

It was more like the mechanical failures that led to 6 or 7 fatal accidents out of the 100 kits completed that caused the demise of that helicopter.

Fetters took a bunch of downpayments and orders on the two-seater (Voyager), then split with the money. He changed his name to Mohamed Al Faris, and married some sheik's daughter, if I remember correctly.

It was like he was Jerry A's mentor. haha

no he's still here in this country whining about his machines.

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24789

The numbers I heard were like 500 sold, 250 built, many uncompleted and 50 fatalities. That was in 2000 or 2001. The welds were bad so lots of frame cracks and he was using the Rotax 582 2 stroke engine. Rotax engine company has a warning in their manual that states " Engine not recommend for rotorcraft due to sudden engine stoppage". Most of the pilots that survived from the wrecked machines stated that thier engines suddenly quit.

There were a lot of stories going around about that helicopter and him. Including one that he died in a Brantly crash several years ago. There is some truth to that one I mentioned earlier though--in some form.

500 kits sounds about right, and I think 200-250ish were registered, but most reports showed around 100 were completed.

There may have been 50 fatals by early 2000s, but I don't know how many of those were mechnical failures. I remember one early on where the guy try to fly it into his hangar--underneath bifold door--and it sucked the door down on top of him.

The one I knew was Allen Barklage. 30,000 hr Vietnam Vet and local traffic reporter / celeb. He was killed the day I got my private license. Took off and the engine quit at about 100 ft. The pictures showed the skids still partially intact (i.e. they just broke off when it hit.) It wasn't like any other helicopter where the skids were designed to bend out, seats collaspe, etc. You took the impact at the same time and amount as the airframe.

Hmm. There seems to be 4 common trends when it comes to accidents in these....

-Engine failures (most fatal)

-Inexperienced pilots (can you believe the ones where the pilots didn't even have student certs?)

-Control system failures (oddly, i didn't see any fatal crashes due to them)

-Rollover on impact (due to improper skid design, I would assume...)

I got to see the Mini 500 in person and it was rather small "mini". The guy building it was a pilot for Medstar helicopters out of Spokane wa. Real nice guy and had a really good build going. I do not know if he completed it or not, but I would have just sold it. I would take the rotorway over the mini 500 anyday. I like the Helicycle too. I met the owner the day before he died in a crash. He was very knowledgable. RIP BJ

Anyway yeah there were a few fatalies from the mini 500, very sad. Does anyone know if any of the minis completed are flying?

The numbers I heard were like 500 sold, 250 built, many uncompleted and 50 fatalities. That was in 2000 or 2001. The welds were bad so lots of frame cracks and he was using the Rotax 582 2 stroke engine. Rotax engine company has a warning in their manual that states " Engine not recommend for rotorcraft due to sudden engine stoppage". Most of the pilots that survived from the wrecked machines stated that thier engines suddenly quit.

I do not have the manual but this is almost word for word how I remember reading it. This is from wikipedia. (I know not very trust worthy, but nonetheless here it is)...

Limitations

The manufacturer acknowledges the design limitations of this engine, warning pilots:[1]

"This engine, by its design, is subject to sudden stoppage. Engine stoppage can result in crash landings, forced landings or no power landings. Such crash landings can lead to serious bodily injury or death...This is not a certificated aircraft engine. It has not received any safety or durability testing, and conforms to no aircraft standards. It is for use in experimental, uncertificated aircraft and vehicles only in which an engine failure will not compromise safety. User assumes all risk of use, and acknowledges by his use that he knows this engine is subject to sudden stoppage...Never fly the aircraft equipped with this engine at locations, airspeeds, altitudes, or other circumstances from which a successful no-power landing cannot be made, after sudden engine stoppage. Aircraft equipped with this engine must only fly in DAYLIGHT VFR conditions."[1]