My qualifications for WOFT

I am currently in my senior year of highschool and I am interested in the highschool to flight school program. I know this can be a rigorous process to get your recruiter to cooperate, but it can be done.

I am very concerned that I won't get accepted into the program. What should be stated in this letter of recommendation to let the Army know I am the right man for the job.

I am dedicated, loyal, disciplined, mature and faithful. I am also well educated with a 3.8 GPA and I am also a member of the NFL (National Forensics League), which is a debate and honor society. It is considered to be THE MOST prestigious society a highschool student can be affiliated with in the United States. I am in shape and fall well within the Armies hight and weight requirments. I am studying for the ASVAB and the AFAST, so that I will score high on both. Will these aforementioned qualities increase my chances?

What should I do? Thank you...

"Who dares, wins." - S.A.S.

Yes those are all good things. One thing that I've heard earns you some brownie points is stuff like volunteer service. Like community programs and stuff like that. Also when you start to build your WOFT packet, you'll need several letters of recommendation from important people in your community who know you, and it wouldn't hurt to start looking around now to examine who you know that would be good to write one. Don't make them write it now, because they can only be 12 months old, but just look around, and maybe get to know someone sorta important. just my 2 cents

Hey Seth,

Another member on VR, named "bulletcart," is in a situation similar to yours (he is a year or two from HS graduation, wants to go WOFT). He asked the same question you are asking: "What can I do?" I am going to copy/paste my reply to him, with obviously a few corrections as some things do not apply to you. Sorry for my laziness :D

I want to help you as much as I possibly can. I am 20 years old, finishing my last year of college, and applying for the July WOFT Board. I wish I had done this 2 years ago, but I went to college instead. Anyway, I've been where you are, and I want to help. Feel free to PM me with ANY questions you have, I am always available. I have a blog here: www.autorotational.blogspot.com if you are interested in seeing where I'm at in the process.

Since you'll only be 18 when applying, you simply have a less "stellar" or "experienced" resume than most others who will be applying at older ages. This should not be discouraging. Rather, (especially since you are starting this so young) this should only further motivate you. You should be doing everything you can to improve that resume. Show them that no matter your age, you are the most driven applicant they've seen in awhile. Your age should only further impress them. I know it sounds idealistic, and probably naive, but I say it to motivate you. Strive for the best, always.

Here are some things I can think of off the top of my head that you may want to look into. These are things that either I have done or wish I had done, or considered doing. They are just suggestions, ideas, you in no way should feel obligated to do them, but they may spark your interest.

1) As yzchopper said, talk to local CFIs, pilots, etc. I did, and found a CFI that was willing to take me under his wing. You never know. Anyway, look into getting that PPL(H). At age 18, that will look great, not to mention give you confidence at the controls. If money is an issue, look into getting your PPL(H) WRITTEN test done. It obviously costs a lot less, you can learn most of the stuff on your own, or do free online courses that will teach you the material. Here is a link to online (FREE) ground school I am looking into: http://www.faa-ground-school.com/

Personally, I am aiming to take my PPL and Commercial Written tests before I go before the board, even if I haven't taken my PPL checkride yet. It shows drive and dedication, and there is really no downside.

2) Your GPA implies you are a driven student - why not take some college courses? Obviously you are still in high school, but look into the Running Start program if that exists in your area. You can also look into online college courses through your local community college. College credits cost money, but they illustrate a drive and willingness to learn.

3) Check out FEMA's Independent Study Program. I have been involved in Search and Rescue / Emergency Management since I was 13, so this naturally was appealing to me. Basically, they are free online courses that you take through FEMA that you can convert to college credit (by paying a fee per credit, of course) through Frederick Community College. If you do enough courses, you can get an Associates Degree of Applied Science in Emergency Management. All online, and the only money you pay is to convert it to college credit, which you can do slowly and spread the cost out over time. Or you can easily choose not to convert it and thus not pay anything.

4) Volunteer. While your focus should be on school and maintaining that stellar GPA, volunteering is a great thing, regardless of applying for WOFT. You'll feel better knowing that you've helped those in your community. Some ideas are: USO (United Service Organization), Search and Rescue, Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, etc.

5) This can be seen as hypocritical, since I'm not exactly at the peak of physical fitness, but I'll give you the advice anyway. Don't just be physically fit, be at the height of physical fitness. Make a 300 APFT your minimum. Hey, why not start now? I waited too long, got out of shape in college, and am paying for it now, trying to get back into the swing of things. I wish I had taken my own advice.

6) Leadership. Try to get into some leadership positions that you are interested in. You said you are in the National Forensics League, are there any leadership positions in other clubs you could get into at school? That said, don't try for those positions if you aren't really into them...i.e. don't be President of the Math club if you really hate math. The board will see right through that.

7) A lot of folks will probably say this is stupid advice and that you have plenty of time to get it done, but why not knock out the "Why I want to be an Army Aviator" essay and resume? As time goes on, you can edit the essay to make it better and update your resume as you become involved in more things, but having the basics for each will, again, be one less thing to worry about. At the very least, writing the essay will be a good exercise - why DO you want to be an Army Aviator? Rhetorical question, don't answer it here, but it's one thing to think it and another to write it down in words.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll add more if something else occurs to me, but I hope this helps. Feel free to criticize it as much as you want - I realize some of it will definitely not appeal to you, or you may think is stupid and irrelevant. Whatever, to each his (her :D ) own.

That said, FEEL FREE to PM me and ask questions, I will always be available to help another aspiring aviator. Keep in mind that even though I'm four years older than you, I'm really not much further in the process yet, so I can't offer you a current aviator's perspective or anything. So take all my advice with a grain of salt. All I can give you is what I wish I would have done, things I am planning to do, or things I *have* done that I am proud of.

Good luck,

Lindsey K.

Oh also, how's your vision?

Thanks for the help guys...I certainly have some friends in mind that would look good on my letter of recommendation...One guy I know was a Green Beret in Vietnam and the other is a Kiowa pilot...

I know I can do this, I am just ready to get rolling with the process. I can't start writing my essay right now, I am too busy between school and studying for the ASVAB/AFAST...I believe if I just score high on both the ASVAB and the AFAST, it would certainly raise some eyebrows considering the fact that I am in HS.

Oh, and I believe my vision is fine. I don't have trouble reading, shooting my bow/guns or driving. The BMV said I had no problems with my vision, so I know I have to be close to perfect 20/20

Seth G,

You are fine, and honestly over analyzing this process. Big things have been mentioned. Your scores only count to get you in, after that no one is going to ask you or even care about your AFAST score. Your main issues will start with the medical process and getting through the flight physical.