Taking a break

jumpngonuts

So I've been kicking it around about taking a break from flying helicopters and working on the ratings I need to start a career and go back to school and get my A&P. Is this a wise move? The biggest reason I'm taking a break from working on my ratings is the fact that they way things are right now I can't justify spending tens of thousands of dollars on it and still have a snowball's chance in hell of getting a job with all the pilots that's out there looking for work right now. Maybe I'm completely out of line, so hopefully somebody will set me straight!!!

At the school I'm going to be doing it at it is going to be roughly $11k for the tuition including the faa exams if the tuition doesn't get jacked up again. I already have 90% of the tools so that will save a little bit of $$$. I'm thinking get my a&p, start wrenching at a place that has heli's and maybe get one hell of a discount and hopefully be able to fly and wrench

Edited by jumpngonuts

Lindsey Posted Today, 19:16

Hmm yeah I looked into it here in WA and I think it was $12-15K?

Where is it $3,000?

It was the College of Alameda, they hold classes at the Oakland airport. I did ask them a couple of times about the price, and $3,000 was what they said, (for the entire program). I suppose they could have been misleading me, or maybe I just misunderstood? :huh:

It was the College of Alameda, they hold classes at the Oakland airport. I did ask them a couple of times about the price, and $3,000 was what they said, (for the entire program). I suppose they could have been misleading me, or maybe I just misunderstood? :huh:

That's probably for a crash course, you would need the required experience first...they don't take you zero to A&P for $3k...

I decided to go back to the site for the College of Alameda again just to check, and it does say there that the progam is about 6hrs/day, 5days/wk, for about 2yrs. Total cost averages $3,200. This is what I remember them telling me when I went over there a few months ago, I don't know why its so much cheaper than what you all are finding :huh:, but I did find the school through the FAA website.

I wonder what the catch is or what all it covers? Seems to be too good to be true to me. I checked into Aviation Institute of Maintenance in Kansas City and they did not impress me one bit. It was like pulling teeth to get costs of tuition, tools needed, the syllabus or anything really. I'll tell you in 2 years if I made the right move or not! The school I'm going with is small, it's a super friendly environment. I went there and talked to the director and also the instructor and both of them are very down to earth and for being a small school there's a lot of neat stuff in that hangar!!! There's a UH-1 that I'll get to tinker with right next to a t-38:D

Its a Community College, the best kept secret in the Education world. Our local Community College get's about 500 per sem for 12 crd hrs load. Those trade school types are pretty expensive. One of our JD summer help kids went to UTI for the auto/diesel program, 18 months long, 29K, plus tools, food and apt.

I have seen some of these have great accredited programs. Sounds like this may be one of them.

Later

So I've been kicking it around about taking a break from flying helicopters and working on the ratings I need to start a career and go back to school and get my A&P. Is this a wise move? The biggest reason I'm taking a break from working on my ratings is the fact that they way things are right now I can't justify spending tens of thousands of dollars on it and still have a snowball's chance in hell of getting a job with all the pilots that's out there looking for work right now. Maybe I'm completely out of line, so hopefully somebody will set me straight!!!

There are some utility jobs that a pilot with an A&P goes to the front of the line.

Edited by helonorth

There are always more jobs available for A&Ps than there are for pilots. There is usually a shortage of mechanics, because you can make a lot more as a mechanic at the local Ford dealership than you can working on helicopters or airplanes. The pay ain't great, and the working conditions can be less than ideal, but there are jobs available. Our base mechanic has a pilot's license, but he makes his living as an A&P, at least for now.

I decided to go back to the site for the College of Alameda again just to check, and it does say there that the progam is about 6hrs/day, 5days/wk, for about 2yrs. Total cost averages $3,200. This is what I remember them telling me when I went over there a few months ago, I don't know why its so much cheaper than what you all are finding :huh:, but I did find the school through the FAA website.

I think they may have dropped a zero...2 yrs of training for $32k sounds more reasonable.

Rotorrodent