Any Army Aviators Near Pennsylvania?

Unless they changed it, you did have a PT score added to your overall score for the merit list. Was there a chance for a guy that max'd his PT and failed checkrides to move up, at the time yes. I hope they fixed this issue. Regardless, you have plenty of time to do both, PT and study, and still do well enough to select the airframe you want if available.

Thank you, I'll need all the luck I can get. And yes actually, the station commander (I think that's what his position is called) at my recruiting office called around to some of his aviation buddies. And one of them got in contact with a CW3 in Iraq and eventually he's going to call me and interview me. I owe everyone involved an ENORMOUS thank you.

I went to MEPS today and took the AFAST, I got a 93. Reading around the forums, I've read that a good score would be at least 130-140. I'm pretty disappointed, I felt confident that I'd do a lot better than that. I have my private pilot license and I got a 141 GT on the ASVAB so I'm not a complete dummy. I studied the ARCO book pretty hard for several months and did well on the practice tests. I must have either misunderstood a section and completely bombed it, or they weren't very fond of my personality test results. I was sure of all my answers except maybe three (out of 200) so it's hard for me to say where I may have made such an enormous mistake. Regardless, I'm happy I passed. It's another hurdle cleared. But lesson learned to all other applicants out there: DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THE TEST. STUDY HAAAARRRDDD!!!! Study anything and everything you can get your grimy little hands on :)

In my experience, the AFAST seemed more of a "check the block" type of thing than anything else. I got a 134 and never heard anything about it. BTW there is no such thing as a "no right or wrong ansswers"! They are looking for agressive, motivated and confidant people. Those type of answers count the most. I got all the points on that section by sticking to that principal. Keep driving on, don't let anything discourage you.

Dutch

IjustWant2fly,

Are you looking at going active duty or guard? There is a PA guard apache battalion in Johnstown which is not far from you. Active duty has a street to seat program, the PA guard prefers their applicants to be current members with military experience. You will have to go to EAATS at Ft. Indiantown Gap to get your class 1W flight physical. I worked in Warrant recruiting for a little while before being shipped off to Ft Rucker. Mail me at frfghtr03@yahoo.com and I can give you the info for the main Warrant recruiter for the state to get you started.

-Stan

Hey Dutch! I agree 100% I tried to answer along the lines of confident, motivated etc, but I may have read into the questions too much. I think it's sketchy to assess someone's personality through 75 awkward questions on a test, but like you said, the important thing isn't the exact score but that I passed and eventually I will get the chance to show the board that I AM an aggressive, motivated, and confident leader. Give me one shot and I'll knock it out of the park.

To Stan: Thanks for the info. I'm trying to go active. I like the idea of the PA Guard too, maybe I'll go Guard after my first six years of active Army, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. It's a little early to speculate now. But are you talking about the main Warrant recruiter for the Guard or Active? My recruiter now is doing a pretty good job, I like the guy. The next thing we're scheduling on my "to-do" list is the cycloplegic eye exam, I think that's in Carlisle. Then the flight physical in Fort Indiantown Gap.