Optional job search methods to consider..

Spike

Take this for what it’s worth.

In my experience, there have been only a few ways to get a job in this industry. They are:

1. Cold calling/face time/making it happen

2. Networking

3. “It’s not what you know, but who you know” not to be confused with networking

4. “In the right place at the right time”

5. Reputation

Cold calling/face time/making it happen requires extensive research and an ability to sell yourself. This is where a good resume is important.

Networking is talking to anyone associated in the industry. You do not need to know this person on a first name basis. This is the kind of person you meet at an airport or some sort of an event and you make a good impression upon him/her to where later on, it works to your advantage.

“It’s not what you know, but who you know” not to be confused with networking means someone you know personally in (or out of) the business such as former instructor, student, employer, etc.

“In the right place at the right time” means just that. This has a little luck associated with it. That is, you gotta know when to put yourself “In the right place at the right time”.

Reputation. Believe it or not, once you’ve been in the business for a while, employers will actually call you. I know this sounds ridiculous, but if you stay in one place long enough and become known as a person who gets the job done, employers in your area will need your help sooner-or-later.

Out of my employment history, the above factors have paned out like this (aircraft make has been added for perspective):

1st job – CFI, hired from student pool. (R22)

2nd job - Cold calling/face time/making it happen & “In the right place at

the right time” (MD500)

3rd job - Cold calling/face time/making it happen (MD500)

4th job - “It’s not what you know, but who you know” (R22)

5th job - “It’s not what you know, but who you know” (R22, S300, MD500)

6th job - “It’s not what you know, but who you know” & “In the right place at the

right time” (B206)

7th job – Reputation (B206)

8th job - “It’s not what you know, but who you know”, “In the right place at the right

time” & Reputation (B407, S300)

9th job - “In the right place at the right time” (B407, MD500)

10th job – Reputation (AS350)

11th job – Reputation (AS350, B206)

As you can see, networking didn’t help me much but I know many folks who've found it helpful. In my case, it came down to the personal relationships I built along the way that really mattered. IMO, nowadays, all of these methods need to be utilized in order to move forward.

Hopefully this information can help someone. If you don’t find this useful then please ignore it.

If you have any other methods to gain employment please post them.

Spike

Edited by Spike