RHC returns to aluminum main blades

Hey,

I read this on Vertical Online.

A few other notable news bits at RHC include the return to aluminum main rotor blades. The R66 has them now and the R44 will soon, followed by the R22. Anyone operating a current model need not worry, as this will not impact the use of the stainless steel blades now in service.

What is the main difference in the alum vs. stainless blades?? Just the material or structure of the design?

Thanks

Hey,

I read this on Vertical Online.

What is the main difference in the alum vs. stainless blades?? Just the material or structure of the design?

Thanks

Wow, I'm behind the times. I noticed the new main rotor on the R66..definitely wider than the Raven II blade. I thought they were aluminum with stainless steel leading edge? Didn't know they changed metal composition once again. When is someone going to STC a carbon fiber version??

The R22 has a low inertia rotor, I would have thought that by making the blades lighter the inertia will become even lower - is this true? Or can this be compensated for by making the blade a bit wider?

Only a few years ago all R22s and R44s had blades with stainless steel spars and aluminum skins (-2 blades). They were having some de-bonding issues in coastal environments (dissimilar metals and the salty air), so they replaced the aluminum skins with stainless steel skins (-4 blades). In order to keep the weight of the blades the same the stainless skin had to be much thinner than the aluminum one. Which had the added affect of making the blades easier to damage.

Does anyone know whether the spar on the R66 blades are aluminum or stainless steel?

Edited by spw1177

I was just at the factory where they said the change was made to address the skin de-bonding issue, and in the future pilots may have to sign off on the airworthiness of the blades every flight.

Edited by Shaun

and in the future pilots may have to sign off on the airworthiness of the blades every flight.

They tried that one before! Let's go get an STC on the carbon fiber blade with some tip weights and a 4400 hour TBO. I have noticed the numerous small dings that the -4 blades suffer after a few thousand hours of use.

Goldy

Let's go get an STC on the carbon fiber blade with some tip weights and a 4400 hour TBO.

CF is great until it gets a chip in it then it just comes apart. At least in ski poles and mountain bikes. I'll pass on blades made out of it.

They tried that one before! Let's go get an STC on the carbon fiber blade with some tip weights and a 4400 hour TBO. I have noticed the numerous small dings that the -4 blades suffer after a few thousand hours of use.

Goldy

I'm all for the carbon Fiber blades too. If they are durable enough for the military i'd say they should work for the relatively "pleasant" environments most of us would be using them in.

I'm sure they would be pretty pricey but if you could get twice the time out of them and not have to worry as much about early replacement, or replacement at all due to corrosion.

Maybe frank should take a few lessons from bell on how they can get 5000hrs out of a set of blades for the B-47.

Or Hiller B/C's and 47 D's with no time life... :P

Isn't that crazy? A helicopter made 60 years ago with wooden blades are still flying and have thousands of hours on them... The 47 that I flew had the old wooden blades on it and the owner always said if i crack it up and live that he'd kill me for ruining the rotors