A quick note

clay

Hey Guys,

Some of you on here have been around since I was starting my training and helped out alot. A few have followed me through my travels. . just an update, and a possible "pick - me - up" for the guys instructing/training. In the past month or so, I've started with a company flying in the Gulf of Mexico, four days after starting with my current company, another one called and offered a job. I am staying where I am though, the jobs are out there and it is all about networking guys!! Meet everyone you can and work hard. It will pay off. both came from word of mouth, not job ads. Anyway, Here are a few photo's, and I will post more later.

Clay

Edited by clay
  • Like 1

Nice one mate. I too just got hired for a commercial job. It took a while of looking, I had been unemployed for 6 months. It was through getting to know a guy that worked for the FAA. He passed my resume on and I got lucky. I also have only about 850 hours.

I'll be flying ag up in Mass. Can't wait for the season to start!

All the best and fly safe!

Damien

And Colorado air space will never be the same! Sorry I missed you in TX, Congrats...

Great news, I'm just getting started and hope to be where you are some day. Good luck. I'm glad you didn't switch, there's a lot to be said about loyalty.

Three of our CFIs were hired over the past couple of months, one of them flying 500s and the other two flying tours. Two of my other friends (three if you count John) were hired recently to fly EMS for different companies and another friend moved last week from Colorado to Texas to start flying for the Border Patrol... Another friend was almost hired by a tour company but failed the check ride because he wasn't current enough, he hadn't flown in two years and didn't prepare (they told him to get current and reapply in two months).. that is SEVEN people that were hired and i probably know more if i were to think harder.....

(HOURS: One that will be flying tours has 620 hours, One 1500, The guy flying the 500s has 1600, the guy hired by the BP has 2500, the two that went to EMS have around 2000, the one that failed the check ride has about 7200 but only 1200 is RW. ALL OF THESE GUYS ARE CFIIs, two have ATPs)

we hired one CFII to replace one of our high time guys, only one because most will continue to teach with us on their time off (one of the things that we built into our biz plan for obvious reasons).

the jobs are out there... some were hired due to contacts, others because they were relentless with resumes and cold calling.

i can't say if things are picking up yet, i know that they will, but i expect most that are getting hired right now are because they aren't giving up.

i am posting this as encouragement, not to diss anyone (is that even a word?), believe that you can make it happen and it will.

dp

RkyMtnHI: I'm not looking for heli work but see your post as a brilliant ray of sunshine for the guys that are. So its nice to hear some good news on the job front for a change.

We offer a lot of career advice in our main business (nothing to do with the heli world) and the one thing we preach to all is: NEVER GIVE UP. The ones that make the most out of it (get the best jobs on the highest rates etc.) are the ones who persevere - even when times are tough, we truly believe that if you stick to it you'll eventually get the break you deserve - your post above gives greater hope in that belief - Thank you for posting!

Hey Guys,

Some of you on here have been around since I was starting my training and helped out alot. A few have followed me through my travels. . just an update, and a possible "pick - me - up" for the guys instructing/training. In the past month or so, I've started with a company flying in the Gulf of Mexico, four days after starting with my current company, another one called and offered a job. I am staying where I am though, the jobs are out there and it is all about networking guys!! Meet everyone you can and work hard. It will pay off. both came from word of mouth, not job ads. Anyway, Here are a few photo's, and I will post more later.

Clay

Finally I can look forward to NOT getting "IM" from Clay about jobs every single day!

I'm proud of you Clay!

For the GOM, follow the 3 rules:

1. Weather

2. FUEL

3. FAR's

You and I have talked about these for the last couple of years, so you know the rules. Don't let them push you. Don't break any of these rules and you'll come back one hell of a good stick!

Hardy Har Har John. Aren't you just funny. I didn't IM you EVERY day. I tried to hold it back to at least every 3 days.

Here are a few from my first few days (the photos on approach were taken by my pax. . . I promise I was holding the controls)

Kinda screwed if it quits here.

IMG_3983.jpg

My 206LIII

IMG_3968.jpg

Lets Land up there

IMG_3963.jpg

Edited by clay
  • Like 1

That is great news! Keep it up! As you said, networking is a big big key to employment. Of all my jobs, just one has been because I sent my resume. Even then, I made sure to trek down to see the CP.

JD