New CFII

That's the idea behind this website, wikiRFM.cyclicandcollective.net [link]. Right now, about 90% the content is by me (also a new instructor), but an instructor at Sevier County has also been adding video content. The idea is that as noobs like us figure things out, we can leave that knowledge someplace for the next round of instructors to come through the pipeline.

I am a new CFII, and I thought I would ask other CFI's or CFII's if they had any advice to give a new instructor. I am starting with my first student in a few days and am excited but yet nervous.

Any comments or hints would be appreciated.

1. You do not know everything

2. You are not supposed to know everything

3. Back up everything up that you teach with an approved source

4. Don't be arrogant with students, see #1

5. Ask questions and be willing to take advice from your fellow instructors

6. Have fun

I agree with Pohi. There is a great article from a veteran instructor and he mentions that he is Not a Flight God. I think he mentions that to his students as well. You have passed your tests, you've proven that you know material or certainly are capable of explaining and performing required maneuvers with proper safety. We are not walking encyclopedias (though some I have met are VERRRY sharp).

I believe it would be time well spent for you to MAKE time to sit with your student and interview each other. LISTEN to each other. Really listen. There will be pressure on you to be the leader and for the student to want to excel. I find that pressure can easily get in the way of a relaxed, ENJOYABLE experience for you both. If the attitude temperature goes up between you two in the cockpit, it Will interfere with learning. That is inescapable. Your student will have enough challenges as it is and so will you. What about this... do you think most people truly understand the Learning process (FOI)? I think a good investment of your time is for both of you to at least briefly take a look through the FOI so that your student can better understand what you are trying to accomplish and some ways he can work towards being open and ready for your input. Perhaps your student has already mastered the FOI and doesn't have any need to know the mental aspect of this. Perhaps he doesn't and could benefit and remain more coach-able with with some hint of where you two are going mentally. I am sure you will do just fine. I do not mean for you to overwhelm him with FOI stuff but it may be helpful for him to have insight into what you are leading them through. This should be a great experience for both of you.

Hi Fred,

I am new to the forum, I finally decided to become a member.

Remember during your training whatever your instructor did to you that you didn't like.... never ever ever do it to your students otherwise you haven't learn anything. Besides the fact that every human been should be respected. Look at this way.. don't do anything to anybody that you wouldn't wanted to be done to you.

I have been teaching for almost 3 years now and still enjoying it, actually the more you teach the easier it gets, I have learn quite few things from my students and yes some others will piss you off well, that's part or ever daylife anyway nothing to do with teaching.

I agree with Jeff about the FOI...

Good luck ..

Fly safe

Fred,

First of all congratulations. Having instructed for many years at many different levels, in both FW and FW, I have found several things that I will insist on doing with my students. For primary students on their second XC, I try to get the lowest legal visibility I can get and tell them I am just their passenger for this flight. I have them do the flight by dead reckoning then some time during a leg I will distract them, with something like an interesting stream or an animal, etc, trying to get them lost. Then I start playing the part of a panic stricken passenger. The I let them try to find their position. If it appears they need help, I may point out a piece of equipment (GPS, VOR, Transponder, etc) and ask what does it do. Just about every student pilot gets "lost". Just how lost varies. I use this lesson to discuss that and how to deal with panicky passengers.

Before I sign a private student off for the checkride, I will include a lesson on landing and takeing off downwind and how to fly a high speed final approach. I do this to show the student how much more runway a downwind takeoff and landing use. It usually gets their attention. Also there are several airports out there that are one way. The high speed final approach is for major airports that want the pilot to keep best forward speed on final. With a long runway it usually is not a problem, but it does take a little experience to do it well.

For night flying, I have my students do takeoffs and landings without a landing/taxi light. And do landings without runway lights. Not so they can become smugglers, but because if the pilot controlled lighting turns itself off in the landing flare, they will not panic.

For instrument students, I have them shoot at least a couple ILS's to minimums with a tailwind. There will be times that that will be required. Plus, if the aircraft I am training in is instrument certified, I will have my student fly in the clouds at least once. The feelings and sensations are much different than being under the hood.

Also for my instrument students, I discuss icing and deicing/anti-icing procedures. Plus I discuss how to do a proper position report.

Don't be afraid to add restrictions to your student endorsements. Especially if the aircraft is student owned. Keep in mind, when a student is flying on one of your endorsements, they are flying on your certificate. When you check your students paperwork for a XC, check their math. Forgetting to carry a one could make a big difference in where they end up. And keep detailed records on what you covered with your students.

Edited by rick1128